Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:13 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,268 times

Advertisements

I am based in SFO for work but live in another state (commute in about every week or so). I did bring a car to CA so that I have wheels there (the rare times I am there). I'm still a resident of another state, obviously, since I don't live in CA.

Not sure how long my car will be in CA - could be a month, could be 4 months... Can I get away with keeping the old license plates so that I don't have to go through car registration in California? Or are they nazi about it and will fine me?

PS I work in travel industry and have moved between domiciles every 6 months on average, so this is pretty standard in the industry I'm in for those who wonder what I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 01:12 PM

24,325 posts, read 26,716,110 times
If the car is going to be staying in CA then you are supposed to register it. However, it won't matter unless you get pulled over and if you do get pulled over just say you live out of state, you have no plans on moving to California and that your home state is the main storage of your car.

When I was in college in SF, I got pulled over and told the officer I live out of state, but he said if your car lives in California then you need to register it here, but I told him I drive back to my home state during the breaks and I have no plans to move to California. It worked.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,955,669 times
It's not just about the plate, but also about the drivers license.

Just so you know, if there is any emergency like an earthquake, a wildfire, a police action---anything that closes roads or streets---the fire or police personnel will NOT allow you to go to your dwelling without a California Drivers License which shows your address--- to keep out looky-loos or looters.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 PM

I don't really have an address in CA. Just one of my cars(the one I use for work).

Old 10-29-2016, 05:43 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Nothing may happen...

On the other hand you might get on the radar for unrelated tickets or the California anonymous reporting line...

If military... no problems

Old 10-29-2016, 08:59 PM

244 posts, read 179,463 times
It's ok if you don't. We won't tell anyone

Old 10-29-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Nothing may happen...

On the other hand you might get on the radar for unrelated tickets or the California anonymous reporting line...

If military... no problems

I might fall under that, have to check. Thanks for heads up.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:47 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,860,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If the car is going to be staying in CA then you are supposed to register it. However, it won't matter unless you get pulled over and if you do get pulled over just say you live out of state, you have no plans on moving to California and that your home state is the main storage of your car.

When I was in college in SF, I got pulled over and told the officer I live out of state, but he said if your car lives in California then you need to register it here, but I told him I drive back to my home state during the breaks and I have no plans to move to California. It worked.
If one lives primarily in another state for the majority of the year (more than 6 months), I don't think you need to register it in CA. After all, it wouldn't make much sense to register it here if the car resided the majority of the year in another state - so I honestly see no argument for it.

Same argument for getting a license here - if you live more than 6 months of the year somewhere else, I see no argument for changing your residency to CA.

At the end of the day, it's really about intent. If you intend to stay in CA and eventually make it your home - then there's some argument there. But if it's just a place you'll be working, and you'll be commuting in every once in a while, then I see no reason to register things here. After all, that wouldn't really technically reflect the reality of the situation. It's kind of similar to the student argument - although not quite the same since with the student situation you are actually here more than 6 months of the year...

It's pretty simple, really. If one is pulled over, you just tell the officer that.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,947,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
I am based in SFO for work but live in another state (commute in about every week or so). I did bring a car to CA so that I have wheels there (the rare times I am there). I'm still a resident of another state, obviously, since I don't live in CA.

Not sure how long my car will be in CA - could be a month, could be 4 months... Can I get away with keeping the old license plates so that I don't have to go through car registration in California? Or are they nazi about it and will fine me?

PS I work in travel industry and have moved between domiciles every 6 months on average, so this is pretty standard in the industry I'm in for those who wonder what I do
Are the out of state plate/inspection tabs up to date? If so, you're probably ok. If not, you may have issues.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
For the most part where you live gets patrolled by the SAME cops. Out of state plates stand out. The "I only came here to visit" will only work maybe once or twice, before they write you a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland