Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 61,701 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be starting a new job in Concord this summer, and I'd like to buy a home in either Concord or Pittsburg somewhere in the 300s. I've heard lots about the ghetto of Pittsburg, but the Oak Hills neighborhood seems to be a nice area. Does anyone have information about living in Oak Hills, or should I just steer clear of Pittsburg and get a home in Concord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
I'm not real familiar with this part of the Bay Area, but I think if you're able to find a good place in Concord, that would be the way to go. The traffic on Highway 4 is just brutal, and I would avoid this commute if at all possible. Even if the commute wasn't this bad, who knows HOW much a gallon of gas will cost next year--or in six weeks! Hopefully Concord will be in your price range, or you can try to talk a seller down in price, given the crummy real estate market and multitude of foreclosures.

Very best of luck to you!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM

18 posts, read 82,150 times
Concord definitely. I have family in Pittsburg. It's one of those cities where there are only pockets of decency. Concord is way nicer than Pittsburg.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,917 times
Not sure if you're a couch potato or a live wire. If you're the latter, move to Concord. Lots more to do there, option-wise. Concords better for me because it's closer to San Francisco. It's right next to Walnut Creek, which could also come in handy. I also like the fact that it's close to Martinez. Concord has more gyms, stores, bars, bike trails, etc.

There are some good areas of Pittsburg. It's not all section 8 like some people would tell you. If you're more of a shut-in, someone whose more into TV and the Internet or computer games, Pittsburg will do just fine. I could easily see myself living in Pittsburg if I was confined to a wheelchair. For a live wire like me Pittsburg is too remote. And if you work in Concord (which is great because that puts you close to the East County) and you're considering Pittsburg, you might as well take a long, hard look at Antioch, Brentwood and Oakley.

Last edited by hotornot; 03-02-2008 at 03:43 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 61,701 times
Pittsburg intrigued me because of some of the newer homes really falling in price. As far as activities and getting out of the house, I like to mountain bike, run, and go to parks and out to eat with my family, and it seems like Concord has more to do there. My wife and I are also trying to figure out things so she can take care of our kids at home and not have to work, which makes things financially kind of tight.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM

20 posts, read 109,979 times
Go with Pittsburg, it's not that bad there it has it's areas, If they build BART to the other end of Pittsburg/Antioch then watch for house prices to jump and become like Concord which is nicer because the families there want the easy access to other parts of the Bay which Pittsburg currently doesn't offer, maybe even cut the difference and consider Bay Point? Pittburg is the better value for the buck and has potential to become better Concord is where it is and really don't see a difference. Look out for you future and consider the investment potential.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,556 times
We currently live in Pleasant Hill next to Concord and I would say buy in Concord if you have to, Pittsburg is not a nice area.

Schools are much better even though Pittsburg and Concord are in the same school district (Mount Diablo School District), If you want safety I would say Walnut Creek or Pleasant Hill and Concord being the last choice.

I would suggest checking out 'sperlings best places' website as this will give you a chance to compare the neighborhoods in relation to crime, education, ecomony etc. Also if you have children you need to check out megans law sex offender website for concord and pittsburg, you will be in for a shock.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 AM

20 posts, read 109,979 times
I've lived in the area for 26 years, Pittsburg has a huge area with a lot of crime, but they have a bigger area which is considered a grood place to raise a family. If you ever really drive around Pittsburg you would notice a definate divide in the good and bad areas which is pretty much divided by Highway 4. If you want you can base all of Concord on just Monument and Solano Blvd and it would seem like the worst place ever. Pittsburg is a great city, for a great price with a great investment potential, and a city whos city council and mayor are taking a aggressive and noticiable approach to fixing the bad areas, and pushing the troublemakers out. Notice the for sale signs and demolation in the bad side (west 13th street area)

Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM

175 posts, read 795,533 times
Default Pittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase2000 View Post
Pittsburg intrigued me because of some of the newer homes really falling in price. As far as activities and getting out of the house, I like to mountain bike, run, and go to parks and out to eat with my family, and it seems like Concord has more to do there. My wife and I are also trying to figure out things so she can take care of our kids at home and not have to work, which makes things financially kind of tight.
It did me as well. If you are talking about the Lyon homes on the hill. However, I called the police department and had them fax me a crime report for the surrounding area and I was shocked. It is a shame because there is a Bart Station nearby. Maybe in 10 years they'll run the thugs off. To late for us we decided to pay more and move to a safer area.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM

175 posts, read 795,533 times
Default Pittsburg Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase2000 View Post

One thing I forgot to mention. I visited the schools that the kids would attend. GHETTO. What's the point of buying a nice house on the hill with a handy dandy Bart Station if your kid has to deal with thugs at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland