Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM

47 posts, read 37,349 times

Advertisements

Since you don't have to worry about rent, then the only word you have to worry about is congestion, hopefully you will be working the night shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 AM

901 posts, read 1,163,848 times
From what I can tell, I've talked to old-timers, PA was once super awesome in every way. It had a full range of economic diversity. Expensive houses, and cheap-ish houses. Had a university-town feel.

That feeling is rapidly disappearing as old-timers leave/die/sell. If money is no object, I still think it's great, given schools (if you can excuse hypercompetitiveness, e.g. HS suicides) and city services, including great parks and train service. It is very central to a lot of things, shopping, etc. It's about as convenient as suburbia can get here.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:31 PM

238 posts, read 301,718 times
you should have mentioned no rent! you will love PA. enjoy!

Old 11-07-2016, 05:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Nations View Post
Unless you're a Lib don't do it. Anybody who is Republican will be treated like a second class citizen and possibly violently attacked. God forbid you support Trump. Anti White Racists fill the bay area.
So much oppression.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:32 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,174,924 times
Suburban
Well educated

You were the one that asked about Oakland a while back??? If you prefer a clean suburbia and a 100% rich area than this may be better than Oakland. You won't have as many social issues or they will be different. Obviously a city is going to have more diversity. I personally prefer Oakland over a place like Palo Alto but I understand the draw. It is up to you. You sound like you are in a great position to live where you want at no cost. I'm almost jealous. Enjoy wherever you pick!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM

22 posts, read 25,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Suburban
Well educated

You were the one that asked about Oakland a while back??? If you prefer a clean suburbia and a 100% rich area than this may be better than Oakland. You won't have as many social issues or they will be different. Obviously a city is going to have more diversity. I personally prefer Oakland over a place like Palo Alto but I understand the draw. It is up to you. You sound like you are in a great position to live where you want at no cost. I'm almost jealous. Enjoy wherever you pick!
You have a very good memory! yes I was asking about Oakland a month ago. The thing with travel nursing is that you are subject to where you are assigned. I was leaning toward Oakland because majority of my assignments were in Oakland and only one was posted in Palo Alto. I ended up getting the Palo Alto assignment so that decides it.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,174,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffye2 View Post
You have a very good memory! yes I was asking about Oakland a month ago. The thing with travel nursing is that you are subject to where you are assigned. I was leaning toward Oakland because majority of my assignments were in Oakland and only one was posted in Palo Alto. I ended up getting the Palo Alto assignment so that decides it.
Sounds good. I'm not very familiar with PA so cannot give any advice beyond the superficial. I am, however, sure that it is a nice place. Enjoy.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:31 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,314,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I'll answer the second question since the first has been covered. For the South Bay and (somewhat) the Peninsula, you have the San Jose Metro. However in comparison to the Stranger and the Sacramento News and Review which I'm familiar with, it's a significant downgrade in terms of coverage and depth. To put it simply when I read the latter two I feel plugged into the pulse of the area, when I read the former I don't. I think they just can't afford the staff or something.

The East Bay Express covers Oakland and Berkeley, and to some extent the smaller cities in that vicinity, and is very good. SF has, I believe the SF Weekly and SF Examiner, perhaps others, but I can't say much about the quality of those papers as I've rarely read them. Keep in mind these places are about 40 miles from Palo Alto so you'll probably be spending less time there than you think.

There may be an alternative weekly specific to Palo Alto but if so I know nothing about it.
The San Jose Metro is an alternative weekly but it's not as edgy in tone as its East Bay counterparts.

Palo Alto has a weekly called Palo Alto Weekly but it's pretty mainstream and not at all like those alternative papers.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:32 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,782,485 times
Shallow

Old 11-16-2016, 11:47 AM

74 posts, read 139,337 times
Oh, I'll be positive--I lived in Palo Alto for one year. It was like a little paradise, with the smell of flowers filling the air, and the downtown streets lit up by pretty white lights around the trees at night. Personally, I do not remember feeling stressed out by traffic at all within Palo Alto itself, though the Bay Area as a whole is a different story. You can probably bike to work if you don't want to drive. You can't get much better in terms of weather, though sometimes I missed having four distinct seasons. You might miss having thunderstorms. I took many long walks through beautiful neighborhoods. The terrain in the town itself is relatively flat, though there are hills and mountains nearby. I didn't spend a great deal of time in the downtown area--I seem to recall it being full of expensive boutiques that I couldn't afford, mixed in with some good restaurants. Palo Alto is a nice place to call home for a spell, particularly if you are not responsible for rent expenses. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland