Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times

Advertisements

Also want to add that I'm pretty sure that Davis would be one of the most dog friendly communities around since UC Davis is very well known for it's school of Veterinary Medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm surprised , Nell925, that Davis wouldn't have a nightlife- It's ALL university students- plenty of bars, cafes, outdoor markets, that sort of thing.
Check out Davis or nearby Woodland. Woodland isn't much for night life however, but Sacramento is nearby. The Sacramento airport is just east of Woodland and there is a lot less congestion than in the SF Bay Area.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM

66 posts, read 220,901 times
Having flown out of SFO, OAK, and Sacramento, if I was doing a lot of traveling I would choose Sacramento. It is way easier to get in and out, parking is cheaper, no bridges to cross, no congestion, etc.

Take a look at Natomas. It is a part of Sacramento, but on the far west side... probably 15 or 20 minutes from the airport. Lots of new homes and apartments. Tons of retail and restaurants. If your in to sports, ARCO Arena is right there also.

My wife and I moved from Western Mass (Westfield) back in 1999. We settled in Fairfield. I would suggest the Fairfield/Vacaville area, however with all of your traveling, you would be better off closer to the airport.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 AM

I've gotta say something here- NO WAY would I recommend Fairfield or anywhere near Arco arena. Vacaville, maybe a nicer choice- but Fairfield is not a very nice place anymore (with the exception of the west side, near Solano College)- many parts are downright dangerous and full of drug/crime/gang activity. The area near Arco arena in Sacramento is just a wasteland of houses (many foreclosed upon now). It's like an area that was just built overnight. Treeless and boring sprawl and full of mini-mall ,chain restaurants- no character at all, in my opinion. My brother lives there and is desperately trying to get out, but can't sell his house. I get lost out there every time when visiting him because it all looks exactly the same. The actual city of Sacramento would be a better choice. But I'd still say Davis is the best option for what the OP is looking for.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 PM

66 posts, read 220,901 times
Quote:
I've gotta say something here- NO WAY would I recommend Fairfield or anywhere near Arco arena. Vacaville, maybe a nicer choice- but Fairfield is not a very nice place anymore (with the exception of the west side, near Solano College)- many parts are downright dangerous and full of drug/crime/gang activity.
Well, clongirl, what crime-free city do you live in? Can you name one city with a population over 100,000 that doesn't have some problems? I have lived in Fairfield for 9 years. I have not experienced or even seen any criminal activity in the area where I live. Yeah, there are some bad parts of town, but is that a reason to condemn the whole city? There are more nice parts of the city than there are sections that are "downright dangerous and full of drug/crime/gang activity."

I don't think that the residents in Green Valley would appreciate those kind of comments... nor the people in Rancho Solano... nor the people in Rolling Hills... nor the people in Paradise Valley.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 AM

I was actually born there and went to high school there so I'm no stranger to Fairfield. My mom lives in Green Valley and also spent most of her life in Fairfield- my grandmother is buried there ,too. Several of my friends were killed there as I was growing up (these were teenagers, btw). It wasn't even that safe when I was a child, but it certainly has gotten a lot worse. If you read my post thoroughly, you'd see that I made the exception to the west side of Fairfield. I really don't see why you'd get bent out of shape over my opinion about the place I grew up. Frankly, I don't really care what the people of Rolling Hills think. Yes, Rancho Solano, and Paradise Valley are lovely areas (Historically reserved for the richest people in Solano County since they're on a golf course- perhaps this is why you haven't personally experienced any crime), but it didn't really seem like this is what the OP was looking for at all.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 PM

81 posts, read 357,086 times
Thought it would be interesting to compare crime rates for Davis vs Fairfield (i.e clongirl vs mpsouth):

City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2)
Davis = 255.8 (2006)
Fairfield = 391.2 (2006)

The winner is....clongirl!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 AM

10 posts, read 40,858 times
Although South San Francisco is indeed close to SFO (our main airport) and Santa Rosa and its surrounding area has a small-town feel, both are going to take you AWAY from Sacramento, and you said you wanted to live between San Francisco and Sacramento. Also, the closer you get to Sacramento, the less expensive your housing will be, so keep that in mind. I've read that we're second to NYC in housing costs; and coming from Western MA, I'm sure you know how expensive parts of NYC are. Anyway, Sacramento now has an international airport (SMF), which is serviced by many of the major airlines, so I'm sure you could easily get flights from there to Portland & Seattle. I live about ten miles south of SFO, on the Peninsula (the Peninsula is that piece of land with San Francisco at the northern tip), and I don't think I'd recommend South San Francisco, or any of the Peninsula cities near SFO, if you want a small-town feel. Some of the smaller East Bay communities that someone suggested might be fine, and Santa Rosa and it's surrounding towns are definitely very nice. IF, however, you want to live BETWEEN San Francisco and Sacramento, you're going to have to go for towns like Fairfield or Vacaville (both of which are about mid-point) or Vallejo, etc. I have a friend who lives in Fairfield, and she loves it. I also have a friend with a BIG dog who lives in Vallejo, and she is very comfortable there. That whole stretch between San Francisco and Sacramento is growing by leaps and bounds, though, so I'm afraid it won't be long before they're as congested as San Francisco is. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM

175 posts, read 795,608 times
Default No to Natomas

Quote:
I've gotta say something here- NO WAY would I recommend Fairfield or anywhere near Arco arena. Vacaville, maybe a nicer choice- but Fairfield is not a very nice place anymore (with the exception of the west side, near Solano College)- many parts are downright dangerous and full of drug/crime/gang activity. The area near Arco arena in Sacramento is just a wasteland of houses (many foreclosed upon now). It's like an area that was just built overnight. Treeless and boring sprawl and full of mini-mall ,chain restaurants- no character at all, in my opinion. My brother lives there and is desperately trying to get out, but can't sell his house. I get lost out there every time when visiting him because it all looks exactly the same. The actual city of Sacramento would be a better choice. But I'd still say Davis is the best option for what the OP is looking for.
I agree. Natomas is full of foreclosed homes AND crime is beginning to move into the area. They have 2, yes only 2 Police Officers assigned to patrol all of Natomas. (You may want to look at the cost of insurance on those houses they are beside the river and in a flood plain. Like a previous poster stated you can't give those homes away. The houses are cheap and many are now becoming section 8 or "affordable" housing. Davis/Dixon are by far the better areas with less crime and better schools. Fairfield is full of gangs and crime. I'm sure the people living there hate to face it but it's true. Just stroll through the mall if you don't believe it (and if you are brave enough). You will also have to be aware of what areas are safe in Sac. Some of the nicer older neighborhoods in the actual City of Sac. are full of homeless sleeping in their front yards (on the upside they don't seem to be the aggro homeless like the ones in San Fran). Even the newer areas have popped up with drug houses. Before you buy/rent look at the crime report for the area. Vacaville has it's nicer area's but schools are crowded and the area grew to fast to provide adequate infrastucture. Oh one last thing VALLEJO is ghetto. It is by far the WORST of the areas. No way do you want to live there! Santa Rosa is NOT between Sac and SF. Look at the map. If you fly a lot Sac is MUCH easier to get too. Davis and Dixon are bedroom communities. I assume OP has a car. If so then Davis and Dixon are right by I-80 and minutes from Sac. Davis is more expensive and because it is a college town you have to deal with the expected College activity. I'd prefer to live outside Sac and drive a few minutes for the nightlife. If you aren't familiar with Davis you may want to do a little research. I believe they may have succeeded from the USA. The "Republic of Davis" hehe.

Last edited by Alisande; 05-12-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 AM

175 posts, read 795,608 times
Default Look at the Map Nella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella925 View Post
i would not do dixon or davis, they are very small and if you want a social scene you wont find it there.
I am not familiar with sacramento, but I would suggest the east bay
either concord, walnut creek, pleasant hill, dublin...these areas would be great. or even emeryville (mainly the area near downtown) they are all pretty close to sf and you can easily catch bart or drive to oakland airport within 30-40 minutes.
All the areas you listed are NOT between Sac/San Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland