Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,437,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I grew up in the DC area and I completely disagree. BART nighttime and weekend service is a joke if you actually like going out past midnight.
And how is DC Metro any better when it stops operating after midnight as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 11:31 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,942,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is a myth that renters don't contribute to property taxes.
I don't know why voters don't realize this simple fact. Property tax increases actually disproportionately have an effect on renters. Property owners pass ALL the increases onto renters with increased rents, and guess what? You can't claim the taxes on your returns.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
New trains are already on the way. The new trains have nothing to do with this Bond Measure. Here's a video that explains it and you can go to the BART website for more info if you are interested.

BART's new car arrives | bart.gov
See, I knew they weren't spending $3.5 billion of your tax money on trains. Thanks for the link!

But I do know BART pensions will be safe because of the taxpayers! That I do know.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,861,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
See, I knew they weren't spending $3.5 billion of your tax money on trains. Thanks for the link!

But I do know BART pensions will be safe because of the taxpayers! That I do know.
I understand your skepticism, which I have for BART, too...

But they did release this statement: BART bond money for system needs only

Quote:
BART has placed a $3.5 billion bond measure on the November ballot to rebuild our aging system for the sake of safety, reliability, and traffic relief. Not one penny, under any circumstance, can or will be used to pay for operating expenses, salaries, or benefits.

The money is only for improvements like replacing 90 miles of worn track and power cables and modernizing infrastructure and systems that have reached the end of their useful life.

To suggest we would use the money for salaries and benefits directly or “indirectly” is flat out wrong. Cutting spending from the Capital Investment Plan in order to increase salaries would undo decades of financial projections and do immense damage to BART’s capacity to improve in the future.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I understand your skepticism, which I have for BART, too...

But they did release this statement: BART bond money for system needs only
If I just bilked the public out of $3.5 billion dollars, I'd make a pretty statement too.

BART statements are not worth the paper they are printed on.

The money will be squandered in less time than the bond payback length, and guess what, you'll get another BART bond measure in 5 years asking for more money.

If you disagree, I'd happily have my lawyer draw up an agreement to make a $10,000 bet that says otherwise.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,861,322 times
Quote:
If I just bilked the public out of $3.5 billion dollars, I'd make a pretty statement too.

The money will be squandered in less time than the bond payback length, and guess what, you'll get another BART bond measure in 5 years asking for more money.

If you disagree, I'd happily have my lawyer draw up an agreement to make a $10,000 bet that says otherwise.
I share your skepticism - just passing along the message.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,229,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And how is DC Metro any better when it stops operating after midnight as well?
I looked it up, and you're right, service currently ends at midnight. It used to end service at 3am, which I took full advantage of whenever I've been home visiting my parents in Northern VA. This wasn't always the case though (it just changed hours this January) and it's mostly due to them upgrading the system right now. What is BART's excuse?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,978,368 times
Quote:
I looked it up, and you're right, service currently ends at midnight. It used to end service at 3am, which I took full advantage of whenever I've been home visiting my parents in Northern VA. This wasn't always the case though (it just changed hours this January) and it's mostly due to them upgrading the system right now. What is BART's excuse?
Outside of the week ends there is no point. This is California, even SF goes to sleep and that is the way folks prefer it.

It makes more sense to handle the commute nightmare between Fremont and San Jose, and expand into Livermore and Antioch.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 PM

83 posts, read 94,741 times
Quote:

Hey 3.5 Billion ain't gonna spend itself.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:14 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,437,457 times
Quote:
Maintenance, perhaps that's why no one is being killed by smoke inhalation and derailments on BART like DC Metro. Or why they aren't having to shut completely down in the middle of the work week and having major service disruptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland