Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:29 PM

490 posts, read 660,337 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am a student very likely starting at Berkeley in June. My question is about rents in neighborhoods surrounding the university. I am trying to make an accurate budget however I am slightly confused. Most of the decent studios or 1 bedrooms online are 1500-1900. While other threads say 1000 could find a studio. I am not sure if rents have just risen dramatically within the last year or two, or if searching at the end of spring semester in may (when I will actually look) yields much cheaper rents because of the greater supply.

If anyone has any insight or tips on this it would be much appreciated.

Also
Option question lol
Anyone know how gay life is Berkeley? Is everything student oriented or is there space for other ages? I enjoyed living in West Hollywood and am just wondering how different life would be. I'll be 22 but find myself with 'older' friends typically 25-30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
What happens is that the cheaper studios get snapped up quickly, so they go off the market pretty fast, leaving mainly the "market-rate" ones. You'll be apt.-hunting at the optimum time, when the students are vacating their spaces, so in theory, there should be a few below-rate apts. coming available, though I wouldn't take anything for granted. Do you want or need to be close to campus? Consider El Cerrito and Albany, just north of Berkeley, where rentals are usually slightly cheaper, too.

But $1000 for a studio isn't realistic no matter how you slice it. A room in a shared house usually rents for more than that, though there are exceptions. Do you have to have your own, independent space? Aside from looking at studios, look at rooms for rent, as well. Some can be nice and big, in nice houses. Even so, you'll be looking at closer to $1400+ just for a room, unless you get lucky.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
There are no apartments in the region for $1000. Prices have increased dramatically in 3-5 years. Give up hope. Not a lot of options under $1800 either.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:07 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Coming from Southern California, expect "sticker shock" for real estate prices when moving to the Bay Area. Generally, the units will be smaller than what you will be accustomed to and there will be more competition.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:23 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Hey guys,

I am a student very likely starting at Berkeley in June. My question is about rents in neighborhoods surrounding the university. I am trying to make an accurate budget however I am slightly confused. Most of the decent studios or 1 bedrooms online are 1500-1900. While other threads say 1000 could find a studio. I am not sure if 0.
Check the dates on those threads. Some threads here are 10 years old with only the last 2 posts coming in the past year. Any thread saying 1k for a studio is likely at least 4 or 5 years old. Up your budget, get used to the roommate idea or start looking at bad neighborhoods in richmond, concord, etc if you are truly committed to your own living space. Also, berkeley, oak, and sf are very gay friendly. You will not be bored. The areas within your budget would be less toletant but still not too bad. But if being around lots of other gays is important, then definitely up your budget or get roommates.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Thanks guys!

Yes, I am looking to live close to Berkeley within a mile or so. I've commuted from the Westside all the way to Pasadena for school for the last 3 years so a walkable commute will be highly valued.

Also I am looking for my own space. I figured 1k was wack, but the threads aren't super old, like 5 years I'd say. Rents haven't exactly doubled in LA in the last five years but have increased quite a bit. But obviously the bay is a different beast.

Fortunately, I can likely afford 1800 for rent but would like to create an accurate budget which is why I posted. 1500 would be ideal though so I will be hunting for that in May. Thanks so much for the help!!

Last edited by IM90046; 12-23-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM

213 posts, read 252,555 times
A studio rents for upwards $2400 in Berkeley if you want walking distance to the campus.

$1000 is nowhere enough. Double your budget or expect to BART to campus. Don't even think about driving since parking is impossible.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:21 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
A studio rents for upwards $2400 in Berkeley if you want walking distance to the campus.

$1000 is nowhere enough. Double your budget or expect to BART to campus. Don't even think about driving since parking is impossible.
That depends on how you define "walking distance". It also depends on how concerned you are about safety. There are a few studios and 1-br. within a walk of campus now that are within the OP's budget. Just expect competition for the affordable units to be extremely stiff, OP. You'll have to watch the listings daily, and have all your documents (credit rating, etc.) ready to fax when something comes up.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/5930933900.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-23-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post

ok thanks for the response but that is not true, I see studios on CL all the time for sub-2k. You could check right now and find at least 10.

not concerned about safety, most important is that I'm no more than 30 min walking distance from Bancroft Way & College Ave

Thanks Ruth4Truth!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Not concerned about safety??? How exactly does that college figure who gets admitted and who does not?

I hate to break the news to you, but if you are in a hospital or dead it is awfully difficult to graduate. Berkeley has some bad areas on the fringes, you do not want to walk through some of them alone at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland