Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 10:46 PM

12 posts, read 41,906 times

Advertisements

I've been apartment hunting and noticed a lot of the apartments I looked at had moldy bathrooms--bathtubs with black gunk in all the cracks in the walls and pink stuff too, and brown circular stains where I'm guessing the old tenant put their shampoo. The landlords seemed to have done some repairs around some of the units, but otherwise didn't clean it at all other than some light sweeping and vacuuming. Is this normal in SF? I remember when I first moved here, and back in the midwest, the apartments were all pretty clean--definitely no visible mold. And some of these recent moldy ones I've seen are not cheap either, small studios going for over $2000 a month! Have landlords just realized there are so many renters they don't even have to make an effort anymore? Will I be able to find an apartment that doesn't have mold in the bathtub barring renting an outrageously expensive newly built luxury unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:27 PM

244 posts, read 180,962 times
These are landlords you do not want to rent from. We have those here like anywhere else.

There are definitely clean apartments in SF Bay Area, we just found one.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj321 View Post
Have landlords just realized there are so many renters they don't even have to make an effort anymore?
For the most part...yes. Although I think what you're describing might be more extreme...?

Quote:
Will I be able to find an apartment that doesn't have mold in the bathtub barring renting an outrageously expensive newly built luxury unit?
They still exist, they're just harder to find these days. Often some luck and random timing is involved.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
I've been apartment hunting and noticed a lot of the apartments I looked at had moldy bathrooms--bathtubs with black gunk in all the cracks in the walls and pink stuff too, and brown circular stains where I'm guessing the old tenant put their shampoo. The landlords seemed to have done some repairs around some of the units, but otherwise didn't clean it at all other than some light sweeping and vacuuming. Is this normal in SF? I remember when I first moved here, and back in the midwest, the apartments were all pretty clean--definitely no visible mold. And some of these recent moldy ones I've seen are not cheap either, small studios going for over $2000 a month! Have landlords just realized there are so many renters they don't even have to make an effort anymore? Will I be able to find an apartment that doesn't have mold in the bathtub barring renting an outrageously expensive newly built luxury unit?
Are you sure it's not mildew, if it is in the shower or bathtub? I think there is likely less effort by landlords being put into cleaning up apartments that are in the lower tier pricing catagory. I recall not all that long ago helping a coworker look for a studio in SF. I recall on time giving him a ride to look at one studio apt in the Outer Sunset Dist....what a dump......and it was not the only place he looked at that was like that. He got lucky and found a freshly painted, cleaned up, studio not far from USF that was slightly larger and lower rent then the dump of a studio I had driven him to look at after work one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland