Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM

102,063 posts, read 107,003,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Or something like this rental below. This rental is walking distance to a BART train station and from that station, it would average about 19 min ride to the BART station close to your job. In this neighborhood you could get by, at least for awhile, without a car. Grocery stores, cafe's, restaurants, bookstore, movie theater all sort of other shops within a modest walking distance....I know this area well.....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/5943933134.html
The Rockridge neighborhood of the city of Oakland is a great neighborhood, OP, with everything in walking distance. Older buildings like this are considered desirable by many people, in part because of a lot of built-in storage, and they're often spacious. And you definitely wouldn't need a car; there's good transit in Berkeley (the neighboring city, a few blocks away) and Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,852,708 times
Berkeley is really nice, but personally, I wouldn't want to have to make that east bay commute- the BART doesn't run very late, and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal initially, but there will be that event night out on the town (that Yerba Buena Gardens complex down on Mission and 4th st(as well as the Metreon) have so many fun things to do and throw great parties for a minimal cover charge...And its constantly delayed etc... even stuck UNDER the bay eeeekkkk...

I would look at lower Hayes valley, Mission district, they are all rapidly gentrifying... Yes if you are in the inner areas (even outer areas like Richmond or Sunset is fine too as long as you are on a major transit line-- the N - Judah for Sunset or Haight ( I forget which one is for the Richmond but theres a huge one that runs up and down Geary street that has several bus lines it really fast)--
(its the 33 Geary and they have these rush hour timed lines that go directly to down town during peak travels, they don't stop at every stop like the others do)..

The tip is to be along one of those big arteries or down town.. Sunset or Richmond is going to be more residential but food shops retail is so easy to get to--
most of my friends didn't have cars and we had one for "fun" or trips to costco.
LOVED that city.
Its a really different experience to live in the city vs being a commuting east bay- er.
Try it if you can.

I am a smallish female and used to get off work at midnight- been all over town at all hours its a pretty safe place just use common sense. (for some reason 6th and Mission has always been a spot of dicey-ness but they are cleaning that up - if they haven't already- and I have walked a bunch of kids through the Tenderloin at night / got off on the wrong bus stop-- no one hassled us- and we got good directions too)...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-05-2017 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: added the number for the Geary street Muni

Old 01-05-2017, 05:05 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,789,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Berkeley is really nice, but personally, I wouldn't want to have to make that east bay commute- the BART doesn't run very late, and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal initially, but there will be that event night out on the town (that Yerba Buena Gardens complex down on Mission and 4th st(as well as the Metreon) have so many fun things to do and throw great parties for a minimal cover charge...And its constantly delayed etc... even stuck UNDER the bay eeeekkkk...

I would look at lower Hayes valley, Mission district, they are all rapidly gentrifying... Yes if you are in the inner areas (even outer areas like Richmond or Sunset is fine too as long as you are on a major transit line-- the N - Judah for Sunset or Haight ( I forget which one is for the Richmond but theres a huge one that runs up and down Geary street that has several bus lines it really fast)--
(its the 33 Geary and they have these rush hour timed lines that go directly to down town during peak travels, they don't stop at every stop like the others do)..

The tip is to be along one of those big arteries or down town.. Sunset or Richmond is going to be more residential but food shops retail is so easy to get to--
most of my friends didn't have cars and we had one for "fun" or trips to costco.
LOVED that city.
Its a really different experience to live in the city vs being a commuting east bay- er.
Try it if you can.

I am a smallish female and used to get off work at midnight- been all over town at all hours its a pretty safe place just use common sense. (for some reason 6th and Mission has always been a spot of dicey-ness but they are cleaning that up - if they haven't already- and I have walked a bunch of kids through the Tenderloin at night / got off on the wrong bus stop-- no one hassled us- and we got good directions too)...
#38 Geary is the main transit artery from the Richmond Dist to downtown & Fin Dist area. There is also the #1, 31, 5 bus lines (#2 bus goes as far as inner Richmond Dist) I know the #1 & #31 have express buses during the commute hours.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,852,708 times
Quote:
#38 Geary is the main transit artery from the Richmond Dist to downtown & Fin Dist area. There is also the #1, 31, 5 bus lines (#2 bus goes as far as inner Richmond Dist) I know the #1 & #31 have express buses during the commute hours.
oops yes I got the number wrong (although to be fair I used to take the 33 off of Stanyan to get to my friends house on 9th and clement). 24 years in SF. But as we moved up the socioecnomic ladder got lazy about buses.

the 38 has express buses too- thats how we ended up in the Tenderloin several blocks off course.

I started out on day one taking that 31 Balboa, one slow bus, take the 38 any day!

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,961 times
I lived without a car for 2 years. That was before Uber/Lyft. If you need a car for day trips, ZipCar worked well for me

Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
The 38 also has those Limited stop buses, too. Is that the only express-like service the 38 has, or do they now have Express, in addition to "Limited"?

Old 01-05-2017, 08:30 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,864,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The 38 also has those Limited stop buses, too. Is that the only express-like service the 38 has, or do they now have Express, in addition to "Limited"?
They have both limited and express buses on the 38.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
BART runs till roughly midnight all week. Personally, I thought it would be a bigger deal than it was when I was younger. We drove, and one of us might have driven. Now it is way easy to take left/uber (it is about $20 to many parts of Oakland / Berkeley for the pool versions.) And there are lots of buses.

Now I don't stay out past midnight often.

BART isn't delayed often outside of commute hours in my experience.

Additionally, for commuting from the inner east bay, the bus is the absolute best choice for most people. Your office will only be a block or so from the bus terminal. The commuter buses are less crowded and many routes are really fast. My bus takes 20-25 minutes and stops one block from my apartment.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 PM

711 posts, read 682,894 times
Something you have to factor in when looking at a location thats BARTable is how accessible the station is to where you live. In the outer east bay area (Fremont, Union City etc) the BART parking lots are generally full and the waiting list for a paid spot can be months. Public transit can be spotty in those areas so the time you spend to actually get to BART can double the trip time.

In my area a BART trip from my closest station is 46 minutes. Getting to the station and finding parking adds at least another 30-45 minutes to that. Thankfully I don't have that daily commute any more!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Something you have to factor in when looking at a location thats BARTable is how accessible the station is to where you live. In the outer east bay area (Fremont, Union City etc) the BART parking lots are generally full and the waiting list for a paid spot can be months. Public transit can be spotty in those areas so the time you spend to actually get to BART can double the trip time.

In my area a BART trip from my closest station is 46 minutes. Getting to the station and finding parking adds at least another 30-45 minutes to that. Thankfully I don't have that daily commute any more!
Fremont BART ALWAYS has parking, at any time of day. There's not only the official BART-owned lot; the city also has a lot right there, too. I've never had any trouble with parking right in front of Fremont BART. Fremont isn't the "outer east Bay". The outer east bay is anything on the east side of the hills. Fremont is right on the Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland