Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 18,076 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please help, I have encountered a unique situation with my property rental agents. A 24 hour "notice to enter" was posted and I was away on vacation and they entered my apartment with the notice still taped to the door.
I came home and realized that my unit had been entered without my knowledge.
I have searched and searched and this issue is not addressed at all. They became extremely defensive and very rude when questioned and I am not sure why.
My question is, what if the notice is posted and you are away, the crew shows up and sees that the notice is still taped to your door and they enter anyway for a non emergency maintenance compliance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
This is best answered by an attorney who specializes in real estate.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 18,076 times
Thank you Luke

Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
There's a gray area here because yes they must give you 24-hr notice, but they dont need your permisson. Of course you didnt receive the notice but the landlord can simply state that proper notification was given and he/she satisfied their end of the contract/law.

That said, its not fair, but if you go to an attorney, theyll probably tell you that unless something was stolen or broken, there's really no case. If you proceed with some sort of legal action then your just going to cause friction between you and your landlord and who wants to have that at home. I certainly dont.

I think you should talk to your landlord in the most sincere way possible. Tell them that you didnt appreciate them doing that and that for future reference, please make sure they personally contact you and give you notice. Im sure your landlord will agree and see that this is very important to you and you'll all live happily ever after-and it wont cost you a cent.

My 2 er-cents. LOL

Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I'm not aware of any requirement that the Notice be acknowledge. The regs are pretty specific about normal business hours and that advance notice be given and under what circumstances allow entry.

Keep in mind that Notice is not a request for permission, only to advise the resident in advance of entry.

My understanding is the requirement came about to minimize inconvenience to to Residents... since you were not at home... well you get the idea.

I suppose if I was on the other side I would ask if you notified management that you would be out of town... at least you would have clear evidence that management knew you were not at home.

Renting is very different than owning... this is just one clear example.

My suggestion for anyone is to seek legal advice from a Lawyer specializing in Tenant/Landlord Law in your community on any item of significant concern.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM

323 posts, read 1,425,458 times
which is weird, cause i remember that when i asked for a maintenance, they asked me for my permission to enter the apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland