Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

Lots of rain out there - and wind. I have read about some flooding and a few fatalities as a result. How is everyone doing out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
Very minor compared to others. My back yard fence is falling over. It was fine before the storm, then began leaning a few days ago, and is leaning even more now. We're fortunate.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Minor effects for me since I live in an apartment building and don't have any property to maintain. But I have experienced a few things related to the storm over the last week, or so:
  • We had our power go out momentarily, and the traffic lights in downtown San Mateo went out the other night (when it was really windy).
  • My G/F's mom's house in San Bruno had some downed branches and her fence in her back yard started falling over (due to erosion underneath I think initially, and then exacerbated by the intense winds) - we had to make an emergency repair on Sunday (when the gusts were pretty hard - that was interesting).
  • El Camino in Burlingame has been flooded with water for days (the entire right lane was completely unusable yesterday when I drove down it), and my car was hit with a small Eucalyptus branch when driving down in Burlingame on El Camino other day (seriously, those things are a dangerous menace). Saw many downed branches and loose bark pieces everywhere.
  • I went for a run on Saturday in San Mateo/Hillsborough, and a giant tree branch fell down a few hundred yards in front of me - I felt lucky to not have been under it.
  • BART was out of service yesterday for a large period of time because of a downed tree on the tracks, so using it to get into the City wasn't an option.
  • There was a large downed tree on 280 in Hillsborough (near Trousdale) that shut down the traffic going southbound - so we couldn't use 280 for a bit on Sunday.

I'll say that this storm feels (to me) much stronger than the "Storm of the Century" we got a few years ago (where people were really hyping it up, and many even stayed home from work). And I think considering all of its effects (flooding in local rivers, and insane snowfall amounts in the Sierra), that's probably true.

It's not as bad as a bad winter Nor'Easter in terms of inconvenience and overall danger to the general public - but it's still a bad storm, and a lot of people are feeling the brunt of this storm (unfortunately) - I hope everyone is staying safe, especially near rivers and on mountain passes.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM

The worst storm for me was in the spring of (I forget the month) of 1991 (?) Living in San Rafael, we had 4 very large eucalyptus trees fall, narrowly missing the house, but taking out our cement drainage ditch, a deck, stairs on the hill and fences. None of the trees broke off, the root balls just lifted out of the soaked soil during heavy winds.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The worst storm for me was in the spring of (I forget the month) of 1991 (?) Living in San Rafael, we had 4 very large eucalyptus trees fall, narrowly missing the house, but taking out our cement drainage ditch, a deck, stairs on the hill and fences. None of the trees broke off, the root balls just lifted out of the soaked soil during heavy winds.
Those things are so dangerous. We have many of them all over the Bay Area, especially near major roads.

At least they smell nice, I guess?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM

711 posts, read 688,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Those things are so dangerous. We have many of them all over the Bay Area, especially near major roads.

Personally I can't stand the smell of wet eucalyptus. May just be a personal thing.

We did pretty well in this storm. Developed a small roof leak - but the roof is old so I wasn't surpised.

The upside (at least for this past weekend) was that the forcasters seemed to have frightened a lot of people into staying home. I had to travel from the East Bay to SF on Saturday and the bridge was almost empty and there was a lot of street parking in SF!

Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
For all you noobs ...

Especially the ones who thought that "climate change is making the Bay Area into a sun drenched desert" ...

If you live here a few decades you will get a sense of our weather cycles, which follow the ocean temperature cycles.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Sure, it was a big trauma when all those trees fell, but in the long run, I was glad they were gone. They are a fire hazard in the summer and so, so messy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland