Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 433 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to either San Mateo County or the City after I graduate this year to work! Here's an automotive/insurance/registration question regarding California (most similar thread ive found [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/1931176-california-license-leased-car-parents-name.html[/url] ).

As I am working and won't be a student anymore in California, I am aware that of the 10 day DL change requirement after becoming a resident and 20 day requirement for vehicle registration. With this, I suspect that I will also need to obtain my own individual insurance policy.

Right now, I drive a vehicle financed under parent's name and on their insurance policy in NC. From what I've read so far, there does not seem to be a straight-forward way for me to register and insure the vehicle in CA as it cannot be transferred into my name (since the financial firm holds the title). Is this the case?

It seems like the only way to insure/register a vehicle already in our household is if my parents own it already. Then we could go about the gifting/title transfer process for NC and then I could re-register/insure it in California without issue.

What would be the recommended time for this to happen? As in should I do it while I'm still a NC resident (unsure if immediately transferring the title will require me to get individual insurance in NC, then drive to CA, then reinsure/reregister) or should I move to CA first, get a DL, then go through the transfer process (unsure if different when across state lines)?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: