Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm Alex and I might move to Bay area in a couple of weeks. I'm close to sign a job in Pleasanton, but the job will also require substantial travel to Santa Clara, San Jose and international (SFO airport) - access to BART would be preferred

There are many nice areas around if you have a family and a established social network.

Any recommendations for a 40y old single foreigner?

Budget could be up to 3000$/m - less preferred - but I would be also ok to share a house. I'm not too picky... Which are the best sites to find a shared house?

I would therefore prefer an area close to a BART in a safe neighborhood with good restaurants/bars/nightlife and <1h commuting.

Someone mentioned the area around Lake Merrit BART station... Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,899,096 times
oakland and walnut Creek: both have a decent downtown, one for the art and the other for shopping.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM

23,273 posts, read 23,633,734 times
I'd look at Walnut Creek, but your commute to the South Bay (Santa Clara, etc) if going during commute hours, would be tough. Look at Rockridge (Oakland) also, BART station and a community feel, with nightlife.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 AM

6,549 posts, read 6,581,598 times
Downtown Walnut Creek. Can walk to BART, walk to bars/restaurants, and live in a newer, nicer place for less than SF.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 AM

308 posts, read 464,474 times
I would suggest Fremont. If you have to go down to Santa Clara and San Jose often, it's a good mid-point to your job in Pleasanton. The only thing it may lack is the entertainment aspect but it is close to San Jose and if you are going to be down that way anyway.... It also has BART access to SF/Oakland. It's more dense and urban than Pleasanton and less of the 'family neighborhood' feel. It's also diverse.

The commute from Oakland or Walnut Creek would get old really quick given that you'll be spending so much time south of those areas.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 AM

711 posts, read 682,180 times
OP - are you looking at BART as a method to get to work in Pleasanton? Or do you just want to be near a BART station for when you may need it?

If you'd be driving to work in Pleasanton, either looking for housing in Walnut Creek or Oakland would be a decent commute. Rockridge area seems like a better fit than Lake Merrit. If you're counting on BART, definitely stick with Oakland. BART from Concord would require you to take BART to Oakland, change trains and get on the line to Pleasanton. It will definitely take more than an hour.

For the commute to Santa Clara, Oakland and Walnut Creek would probably be a tossup.

To me, Oakland has a more diverse urban feel than Walnut Creek.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM

318 posts, read 335,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
I would suggest Fremont. If you have to go down to Santa Clara and San Jose often, it's a good mid-point to your job in Pleasanton. The only thing it may lack is the entertainment aspect but it is close to San Jose and if you are going to be down that way anyway.... It also has BART access to SF/Oakland. It's more dense and urban than Pleasanton and less of the 'family neighborhood' feel. It's also diverse.

The commute from Oakland or Walnut Creek would get old really quick given that you'll be spending so much time south of those areas.

Good luck!
No do not look at fremont, opposite of what you're looking for

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
No do not look at fremont, opposite of what you're looking for
Yup, it is pretty much family-land and there isn't a lot to do. I guess access to hiking is OK. And lots of strip malls with ethnic food.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,037 times
Thank you for all the replies: I went to Lake Merrit yesterday (just drivethrough) - wasn't impressed too much.
Will check out Rockridge & Walnut Creek.

BART Access is important for me to get to SFO airport & SF downtown without a car ( Don't drink & Drive)

Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM

711 posts, read 682,180 times
Alex, glad you were able to at least do a drivethrough!

Kudos to you on your planned need for BART for the social needs. Re: getting to SFO - when you've established a location it may turn out that Uber/Car Service/Shuttle is more workable. BART to SFO from the east bay is doable - but not fun or easy.

Best wishes on your tours of Rockridge and Walnut Creek. I hope you find something that feels like a good fit for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland