Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 42,113 times

Advertisements

We are evaluating a job offer in Pleasanton and would rent a home there. We would like the experience there to be very different than how we live now. We would like to be within walking distance to shopping, the local library etc. which means close to downtown. My husband could then possibly bike to work or maybe the bus. We took a look (very brief look unfortunately) around the downtown area recently and noticed it's also right near railroad tracks and the Alameda County Fairgrounds. Would it be very noisy to live in the downtown area? Do trains still go through the area? I also didn't see a lot people biking along the main road and I couldn't tell if there were bike paths but then again, I wasn't looking at the time. What are your thoughts about living downtown and if yes, what area(s) would you recommend? If we can't find a place to rent that we like, we would be open to an apartment in the area temporarily, suggestions?

If not the downtown area, since it's still not a very large city, what other areas in Pleasanton do you recommend? Not concerned about being near schools, just would like to do more walking. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM

22 posts, read 248,091 times
Hi,

I live in Pleasanton. I don't live downtown, but I've known people who live downtown. I don't recall them ever complaining about the noise, but you're right -with the street traffic, train, and fairgrounds close by I'm sure it is noisy. You asked if trains still go through the area, and the answer is yes.

I can't think of a particular bike path in Pleasanton, but they are incorporating bike lanes more and more whenever they do road work. There are a number of cyclists in Pleasanton and in the area in general. With the cost of gas being what it is, I'm sure there will be more.

Regarding apartments, there are a lot of them on a street called Vineyard, which is easily accessible to downtown. Otherwise, there are some away from downtown by Walmart (on Owens I think) that are pretty nice. I think you could also find some on Stoneridge if I'm not mistaken. Those would be a little bit out of downtown, but still very close to grocery stores. There is tons of housing in Pleasanton, so I may be (and probably am) missing some.

I live in a rented house in east Pleasanton. It would be a two mile walk to walk to downtown, and I'd pass two or three parks on the way depending on what route I took. The whole city is pretty nice. I don't imagine you'd ever be out of walking distance to a park. And I'd recommend living anywhere in the city.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,953,970 times
The whole city seems pretty bicycle friendly- even the downtown area. I know that on Saturday mornings a huge crowd of cyclists gather near downtown for a weekly scheduled ride. As for the trains- you get used to hearing the horn in the distance. I've heard that the city will be modifying the intersections so the conductors will not have to blow the horns at every crossing (a federal law I think). Try For Rent Houses, Townhouses, Condominiums, Duplexes Tri-Valley East Bay Call 925-462-1101 for rentals near downtown- I've seen a few signs for this property management company- they might have something you'd be interested in. As for other areas, "Birdland" seems close enough to downtown (street names have bird names). I'm not sure about other areas in Pleasanton, it's REALLY spread out in my opinion. There's probably more by the way of nicer apartment complexes near "Stoneridge Mall". Other areas nearby is "Vintage Hills" and "Pleasanton hills"- mostly single family homes, I think. Definitely more happening in the downtown area, however.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Pleasanton locations and downtown living

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticGarden View Post
Hi,

And I'd recommend living anywhere in the city.
Thank you AcousticGarden, this is very helpful! I agree anywhere would be fine, we really love the area. If we make the move, we just want it to be a positive lifestyle change. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The whole city seems pretty bicycle friendly- even the downtown area. I know that on Saturday mornings a huge crowd of cyclists gather near downtown for a weekly scheduled ride. As for the trains- you get used to hearing the horn in the distance. I've heard that the city will be modifying the intersections so the conductors will not have to blow the horns at every crossing (a federal law I think).

s for other areas, "Birdland" seems close enough to downtown (street names have bird names). I'm not sure about other areas in Pleasanton, it's REALLY spread out in my opinion. There's probably more by the way of nicer apartment complexes near "Stoneridge Mall". Other areas nearby is "Vintage Hills" and "Pleasanton hills"- mostly single family homes, I think. Definitely more happening in the downtown area, however.
Thank you! I've heard "Birdland" mentioned before and tried to search for it to get an idea where it is and didn't have any luck. Do you have a specific intersection I can plug in to give a feel where it is?
Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,953,970 times
Birdland is around the "Pleasanton Sports Park" between Santa Rita Rd and Valley Ave.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM

48 posts, read 158,401 times
Here's a link to trails and paths in Pleasanton...

City of Pleasanton - Parks and Trails

Scroll down to the section marked "Trails and Bike Path maps".
HTH!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,452,514 times
You really can't miss in P town. There is no bad area. I don't think the train is as bad as it seems. I was looking at some houses right next to the train tracks and evidently it isn't so bad where it hurt house prices. I saw homes close to 2 million bucks just 2 houses away from the tracks. It was such a nice neighborhood and you could walk to town in just minutes I would overlook the noise from the occasional train.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Birdland is around the "Pleasanton Sports Park" between Santa Rita Rd and Valley Ave.
Thank you. I remember the neighborhoods around the Sports Park. Very nice.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about other areas in Pleasanton, it's REALLY spread out in my opinion.
Pleasanton spread out would be very comfortable for us!
Thanks for all the info about biking and the area. I hope we can work it out, it seems like a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland