Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:44 PM

318 posts, read 337,710 times

Advertisements

on that budget I would make sure I have a view of the golden gate bridge and the city, and would be on the north or west of the bay for best weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:49 PM

318 posts, read 337,710 times
why not get a condo in SD or LA, look at la jolla, quick flight when you ready to change the scene from the bay and hit the beach year round..

buy a home in the bay and condo on coast of so cal

Old 02-01-2017, 01:34 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
moraga, orinda, lafayette
Lamoraga area is nice. Access to BART to San Francisco/Oakland which is where the nightlife is, although Walnut Creek has some. Nothing like San Francisco or Oakland but some. Cost no object, I'd probably say Marin myself. Outside Santa Rosa, Sebastopol/Occidental/Guerneville area. Calistoga is really nice. You can get great properties there for $3-5 million with some acreage and a small vineyard. Healdsburg has a quaint little downtown area. Not really nightlife per se but there's some great restaurants and little bars (mostly wine bars). They're not crazy isolated. Hour and a half or so (without traffic, 2 1/2 with normal traffic) form San Francisco.

If I didn't have to commute in to someplace with an economy and had the money, probably where I would look. I don't have the money and do have to commute in though. If I didn't have to commute in Hidden Valley Lake is cheap but not nearly as nice.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
I was talking with my attorney today and he recommended buying a primary house in Nevada, near Carson City or Lake Tahoe, and having the condo in San Francisco as a secondary residence. Although I already sold off all of my businesses, I do plan on creating future businesses, which will create yearly income that California could tax, not to mention what I'm making in capital gains would also be taxed by CA as well. Very logical advice.

Lake Tahoe is absolutely gorgeous, I visited there about a decade ago for a business retreat and it left a good impression on me. So that will be on my list of places to check out. And Tahoe and Carson City are only about a 4 hour drive from San Francisco, 5 hours max with a little traffic.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
I was talking with my attorney today and he recommended buying a primary house in Nevada, near Carson City or Lake Tahoe, and having the condo in San Francisco as a secondary residence. Although I already sold off all of my businesses, I do plan on creating future businesses, which will create yearly income that California could tax, not to mention what I'm making in capital gains would also be taxed by CA as well. Very logical advice.

Lake Tahoe is absolutely gorgeous, I visited there about a decade ago for a business retreat and it left a good impression on me. So that will be on my list of places to check out. And Tahoe and Carson City are only about a 4 hour drive from San Francisco, 5 hours max with a little traffic.
If I had the money - this would definitely be something I'd consider. Traffic is only "bad" on weekends. Or maybe a couple of holiday weeks. Otherwise it's pretty easy to get back and forth between the Bay Area (weather permitting).

Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 PM

711 posts, read 688,378 times
Quote:

Nice set up!

Tahoe is amazing. It has to be one of my favorite places on the planet. I wouldn't want to make the trip every weekend. I'm not a big one for car trips (or commuting!) but a nice long drive could be something you enjoy.

Personally I'd opt for Tahoe area vs Carson City area. Better scenery, better entertainment and closer to good outdoor activity.

Oddly enough, you'll probably pay less for a gorgeous home in Tahoe on a good size piece of land than you will in SF for a luxury townhouse/condo.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Nice set up!

Tahoe is amazing. It has to be one of my favorite places on the planet. I wouldn't want to make the trip every weekend. I'm not a big one for car trips (or commuting!) but a nice long drive could be something you enjoy.

Personally I'd opt for Tahoe area vs Carson City area. Better scenery, better entertainment and closer to good outdoor activity.

Oddly enough, you'll probably pay less for a gorgeous home in Tahoe on a good size piece of land than you will in SF for a luxury townhouse/condo.
I'm going to look at the Reno/Sparks area too, lots of nice homes up there.
I won't be making back and forth trips every weekend btw, I'll probably be spending months at a time in each location, so it won't be an issue. I might drive back & forth maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:34 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,059 times
Based on the political point of view you express in other posts, I think you would be happier in La Jolla.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:41 AM

787 posts, read 644,303 times
Quote:
One of the reasons why I'm moving from Florida is to get away from the heat, humidity, insects, and tropical storms. A cooler, more mild climate sounds like my cup of tea.

I also like Marin county, from what I've read and seen in pictures. I'd say San Rafael and close by surrounding areas (Mill Valley, Ross) are near the top of my list for places to visit and check out.
Native san franciscan living in Marin, specifically San Rafael.

Always perplexes me how people prefer cooler weather to heat.

Summer here is great, but too cold to be considered "omg awesome california weather" to me.

I'm not a fan of humidity either, but how anyone could want to move away from heat, I will never understand.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
You already addressed this issue on page 1 of this thread, where you said that you've accumulated so much wealth that taxes no longer matter to you.

You might want to work a little harder on keeping your story straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland