Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 AM

99 posts, read 166,814 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Oakland for a new job in SF. Yes, I know how to use Yelp. Yes, I will be asking my new colleagues for recommendations, but I'm not working for a huge company and don't have a big social network up here... yet. So, I'm supplementing that research with.. you guys.

And, yeah, I said "stylist". I'm not particularly snooty or foo-foo, but I've had universally bad experiences at 'regular' barber shops in LA and San Diego. It seems that every traditional barber I visited had one way of cutting men's hair and that was it. For someone like me -- with fine hair that can look surprisingly full when cut and styled properly -- the looks never worked. I always found I had to spend between $40-70/cut to find a stylist who could cut fine men's hair and do so in a stylish, modern way -- I guess you might say hipster'ish. Funnily enough, I found my best stylists in LA and San Diego had a large lesbian clientele. It seems there isn't much daylight between the young, modern lesbian 'do and that of the hipster'ish male.

Anyway, if you just go to a barber shop to get everything buzzed off or if you're one of those satisfied customers that keeps SuperCuts in business, I'll pass. But if you're a Bay Area gentleman who has found a great stylist / salon or, yes, even a barber shop that knows how to cut a wide variety of men's hair, let me know! Since a haircut is really a once every 4-to-5 weeks thing for me, I'm more than willing to travel a bit for the right stylist. Let's say anywhere within 90 min commute of Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Yelp.com

Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Try Mark-Jason Solofa in Berkeley, that's where my son goes and he swears by them, he lives in Contra Costa County but can't find a shop that he likes there. And it's funny you mentioned the best shops having a lesbian clientele my son remarked about that too.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:17 PM

386 posts, read 797,465 times
Galleria Hair Design in SF. A 2 minute walk from Montgomery BART Station. Recommend Eric or Caroline.

GALLERIA HAIR DESIGN

Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
When I lived in the Bay Area, I used a man called Paul, who has a shop in Burlingame. I used him for 10 years, until we moved. He does a great job.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/home-burlin...=Joannes+nails

His wife does nail & tanning & he does the hair. I really miss his haircuts. They are 2 separate shops.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
When I lived in the Bay Area, I used a man called Paul, who has a shop in Burlingame. I used him for 10 years, until we moved. He does a great job.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/home-burlin...=Joannes+nails

His wife does nail & tanning & he does the hair. I really miss his haircuts. They are 2 separate shops.
On that yelp page, the hair cut reviews are on page 2.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM

386 posts, read 797,465 times
Since you live in Oakland, I should also mention Temescal Alley. I haven't been since I go the Galleria Hair, but a buddy does and says it's OK. Biggest downside is that you can't make a reservation.

Temescal Alley Barbershop

Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 11,255 times
I know exactly what you are looking for. My hair is also very fine. It shows every clumsy unskilled cut and only rewards stylists with a vision and good technical skills. Barbers with their electric clippers use much too blunt a tool on my hair (in my opinion.)

A few years back I admired a co-workers hair (with a texture I similar to mine) and asked him where he got his hair cut. He told me who his stylist was (she had her own salon in San Francisco) and I was so happy to find a good stylist in a city that was new to me.

Cut to 2017. My stylist had a baby a few years ago and has given up her salon in San Francisco. She now works a few days a week at Marquee Salon in Oakland. Her name in Jubilee and I recommend her wholeheartedly. Plus she’s a total sweetheart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland