Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:04 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The bay has plenty of home grown autistic people, but the influx of autistic transplants with no social skills does not help.

Thesr tech bro companies need to monitor employee mental health better.
What does autism have to do with this? You've lost me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbo View Post
This isnt the 80s tech industry anymore. Think Wall Street transported to the Bay Area. Do you think you would have been able to 'face things head on' in Wall Street of the 80s and gotten anywhere? Nah. Silicon Valley culture is not the same anymore - it's filled with sexist douchnozzle cretins.
I never faced anything like that either. I was there in the 90s and early 2000s. When I went to school, I was one of 5 woman engineers out of the whole school, not even department. There are so many companies to work, there is no need to take any crap from anybody.
I did remember asking Apple, why wasn't there more female engineers interviewing me. I didn't get the job but I went somewhere else with much hotter stock. Apple was like $13 then, before adjusting for split.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:03 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I never faced anything like that either. I was there in the 90s and early 2000s. When I went to school, I was one of 5 woman engineers out of the whole school, not even department. There are so many companies to work, there is no need to take any crap from anybody.
I did remember asking Apple, why wasn't there more female engineers interviewing me. I didn't get the job but I went somewhere else with much hotter stock. Apple was like $13 then, before adjusting for split.
Silicon Valley is like a tumor eating away at the Bay Area.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:16 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intok View Post
It was created by their mothers pushing their daughters away from programming, which was originally a female dominated field, one of the most interesting women I've ever talked to used to be a programmer at Bell Labs and still had boxes of the punch card software that she wrote herself as well as some ancient tech gems, like a hand woven ferrite core ram board. Yes, a board about the size of a notebook, with the copper wires woven through tiny ferrite rings it by hand, which you guessed it, was also made by women due to the size constraints on the diameter of the fingers and manual dexterity necessary to do the work.

But it wasn't just programming, it was everything in the maths and sciences that girls where pushed away from, because they where supposed to focus on being more ladylike and to find a husband to make all the money.
Well, I'm hoping that films like Hidden Figures, organizations like SWE, and Girls Who Code can help change the perception that STEM fields for women are a no-go.

Incidentally, MIT, which used to be heavily male in its student body gender breakdown, is close to 50-50 in terms of its male/female ratio. Times have changed and hopefully progress will continue in this area.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Here is another Uber story:
https://medium.com/@amyvertino/my-na...32f#.bs7wmhvvx

Some lowlights -
Quote:
Some days, I loved working 12 hours straight. But, there were days when everyone in the team were on the brink of giving up. The supervisors were often arrogant, impatient, and aggressive with their expectations. It was normal for our supervisors to openly appreciate the performance of one member over the other and publicly demean members who did not perform as per their expectations.

Chauvinistic, racist and homophobic attitudes were far too normal at Uber. Once in a group chat, team members referred to a new Asian American recruit as slanty eye joe. It was normal for guys to refer to other guys as **** when they didn’t participate in private parties where sex and drugs were involved.

It was normal for guys to openly refer to attractive female colleagues as sluts when they refused to go out with them. They had private chats where guys wrote sexual fantasy stories about female colleagues and supervisors where they performed all sorts of demeaning acts on the women. I confronted the guys on my team whenever they passed lewd comments about female supervisors but never felt comfortable confronting guys who were not in my team.
It gets progressively more terrible.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Some lowlights -

No more uber for me. App uninstalled.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Some lowlights -

What's wrong with those guys? How could it be that everyone in a managerial position is of the same mentality? It's not normal. Are some of these guys foreigners?Where does this mentality come from?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with those guys? How could it be that everyone in a managerial position is of the same mentality? It's not normal. Are some of these guys foreigners?Where does this mentality come from?
Don't try to blame it on foreigners. They're victims too. Don't you know what this country was like 20 or 50 years ago?

Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Don't try to blame it on foreigners. They're victims too. Don't you know what this country was like 20 or 50 years ago?
Meaning what, exactly? In what respect? In the late 90's? These are fairly young guys, right, not 50- or 60-yr-olds.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Meaning what, exactly? In what respect?
Do you really think foreigners are given all the high paying jobs with lots of authority? No, they're at bottom making low wages. How do white males treat minorities? Do they spend all day saying how great they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland