Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:41 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Do you really think foreigners are given all the high paying jobs with lots of authority? No, they're at bottom making low wages. How do white males treat minorities? Do they spend all day saying how great they are?
It depends on the white males. That's why I asked how it could be that all the managers are of the same mentality. Attitudes vary tremendously, depending to some extent on geography. Guys like those described were rumored to have become dinosaurs on the West Coast. Where did the Neanderthals come from, and how did they all end up at Uber? lol It's as if all the online trolls wound up in leadership positions at Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on the white males. That's why I asked how it could be that all the managers are of the same mentality. Attitudes vary tremendously, depending to some extent on geography. Guys like those described were rumored to have become dinosaurs on the West Coast. Where did the Neanderthals come from, and how did they all end up at Uber? lol It's as if all the online trolls wound up in leadership positions at Uber.
People who used to go off to work on Wall Street switched to tech in 2010 or so.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
When you're in a toxic culture, it's hard to be different.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:37 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Quote:
Not difficult to get their like minded buddies into roles at their company. I bet there are even incentives for referrals. Another theory, fear. Fear of losing a well paying job before their options vest. Fear of being blacklisted within the tech community by bullies. Liking the actual work they were doing but despising their coworkers. The smart ones would have all left when they noticed things weren't going to change without a whistle-blower.

You'd be surprised how much crap startup leadership can get away with, even when a voice of reason is telling them to grow up.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Not difficult to get their like minded buddies into roles at their company. I bet there are even incentives for referrals. Another theory, fear. Fear of losing a well paying job before their options vest. Fear of being blacklisted within the tech community by bullies. Liking the actual work they were doing but despising their coworkers. The smart ones would have all left when they noticed things weren't going to change without a whistle-blower.

You'd be surprised how much crap startup leadership can get away with, even when a voice of reason is telling them to grow up.
Yup and the culture always reflects the founders. Notice Travis the CEO is a douche. And......

Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
There is nothing "new" about it. I worked in SV companies in the 90's. It was definitely a male oriented culture.
Male-oriented doesn't mean sexist.

I worked at Silicon Valley companies in the 80s and 90s. The worst treatment I received was at the hands of other females: screaming at me, shouting long strings of obscenities and imposing unreasonable work rules. The men were a joy to work with. No drama.

But I love how people who've never been in tech have these definite ideas what it's like.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup and the culture always reflects the founders. Notice Travis the CEO is a douche. And......
And just to add on to this comment:

Looks like their is a video of the CEO being super rude to an Uber driver. Yelling and cursing. Now, as the bad PR piles on, Travis says he needs to grow up.

Uber CEO Apologizes to Driver After Video Emerges

Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Male-oriented doesn't mean sexist.

I worked at Silicon Valley companies in the 80s and 90s. The worst treatment I received was at the hands of other females: screaming at me, shouting long strings of obscenities and imposing unreasonable work rules. The men were a joy to work with. No drama.

But I love how people who've never been in tech have these definite ideas what it's like.
I love how when people complain about workplace drama - which in my experience knows no gender bounds - they like to blame women for being drama queens. Which is one of the ways sexism plays out in the workplace - women can't win no matter how they act. If they are too demanding and forceful - they are aggressive / b**chy and get bad performance reviews. If they don't get along with co-workers they are catty. Blah blah blah.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love how when people complain about workplace drama - which in my experience knows no gender bounds - they like to blame women for being drama queens. Which is one of the ways sexism plays out in the workplace - women can't win no matter how they act. If they are too demanding and forceful - they are aggressive / b**chy and get bad performance reviews. If they don't get along with co-workers they are catty. Blah blah blah.
And if they don't respond aggressively to abuse IMMEDIATELY, they're called weak and spineless - unbelievable! I'm not referring to the person you're responding to but pointing out that some of the comments to the latest uber whistleblower (on her medium post) were appalling. They were victim shaming her for NOT making a big public stink early, and not loading up on lawyers right away. Bet Ellen Pao would say "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
And if they don't respond aggressively to abuse IMMEDIATELY, they're called weak and spineless - unbelievable! I'm not referring to the person you're responding to but pointing out that some of the comments to the latest uber whistleblower (on her medium post) were appalling. They were victim shaming her for NOT making a big public stink early, and not loading up on lawyers right away. Bet Ellen Pao would say "damned if you do, damned if you don't."
Yes they were terrible. No way would I speak up publicly. In case you haven't seen, the first poster, Susan Fowler has found her friends are getting phone calls to investigate her!

http://www.recode.net/2017/2/24/1472...-personal-life

The tech world is mini! I meet someone who knows someone I know every time I go to anything. My current job didn't even ask me for references because the decision makers just asked around their circles to find the people that know me. The same thing happened at the job before and I was a cold application.

You have to be very very strategic about how you protect yourself in these situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland