Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 AM

122 posts, read 202,650 times

Advertisements

maybe if everybody and their mother didn't try to live in a city that's only 7 sq mi this wouldn't be a problem. i work with a handful of people that are single living in SF and make in excess of a 100k. most of them have roommates or they're living alone in apartments barely bigger than living room and their rent is just as much, if not more than the rent on my 4 bed 3 bath home in Hayward. for the single people, i get it. you want to be in the thick of everything, but the married dude with 2 kids?! shut up and move to the east bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
maybe if everybody and their mother didn't try to live in a city that's only 7 sq mi this wouldn't be a problem. i work with a handful of people that are single living in SF and make in excess of a 100k. most of them have roommates or they're living alone in apartments barely bigger than living room and their rent is just as much, if not more than the rent on my 4 bed 3 bath home in Hayward. for the single people, i get it. you want to be in the thick of everything, but the married dude with 2 kids?! shut up and move to the east bay.
I think you're vastly underestimated how cheap Hayward is these days. Hayward is just as expensive as sf was in 2011-2012

Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post

I don't know about that, my daughter & SIL just moved out of their one bedroom apt. in Fremont. It was large, but the rent was $3,000/mo., no utilities included. The lease was up, with a large rent increase. Management would not repair or replace their 30 yr. old refrigerator, their 30 yr. old window a/c or plumbing, or do anything about the kids of the H1B workers throwing rocks at their car, or up on their balcony at their dog.

He rode BART, she drove 1 hr. 45 min. one way to work.

They both earned their PhDs., no big grants or free money, work overtime at their tech job, would love to buy a house...but can't compete with all-cash foreign investors.

So THAT is the life of a high earning tech worker in the East Bay.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 AM

73 posts, read 86,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I don't know about that, my daughter & SIL just moved out of their one bedroom apt. in Fremont. It was large, but the rent was $3,000/mo., no utilities included. The lease was up, with a large rent increase. Management would not repair or replace their 30 yr. old refrigerator, their 30 yr. old window a/c or plumbing, or do anything about the kids of the H1B workers throwing rocks at their car, or up on their balcony at their dog.

He rode BART, she drove 1 hr. 45 min. one way to work.

They both earned their PhDs., no big grants or free money, work overtime at their tech job, would love to buy a house...but can't compete with all-cash foreign investors.

So THAT is the life of a high earning tech worker in the East Bay.
$3K/mo for 1BR in Fremont without util, 30 yrs old refrigerator & windows sound like an exaggeration or a bad deal.

Both Zillow & apartment.com show for $3K/mo, you can at least have a 2BR and fairly modern amenities.

Here's a link to what's available in Fremont.

https://www.apartments.com/fremont-ca/1-bedrooms/new/

Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiworker View Post
$3K/mo for 1BR in Fremont without util, 30 yrs old refrigerator & windows sound like an exaggeration or a bad deal.

Both Zillow & apartment.com show for $3K/mo, you can at least have a 2BR and fairly modern amenities.

Here's a link to what's available in Fremont.

https://www.apartments.com/fremont-ca/1-bedrooms/new/

Not an exaggeration, why would I? apartments.com is a bait-and-switch, any idiot knows that. Zillow is historically inaccurate. Also, I said WINDOW A/C, not WINDOWS.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 03-13-2017 at 12:24 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 PM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Funny thing is, there is this site called City Data where you can get information on median rents. Currently it has rents listed from 2015, and shows that at that point the median gross rent in Fremont was $1923. I'm kind of thinking rents didn't increase by over 40 percent over the last 2 years. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 03-15-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Supporting a leftist paradise ain't cheap, those entitlement programs aren't going to fund themselves!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
I always find these posts funny.
I'm a 30 year old male and moved out to the Bay Area last year from Pennsylvania and live/work in the east bay. I make 100K which is probably poverty to some you. However, anyone with financial sense can make a killing out here. My biggest expense is rent, which I pay a whopping $800 for a room in a house. After everything, I end up saving about $3K each month and that's after eating out every day and being a bit care free with my money.

Some of you are just bad at money management or need to look harder for cheap housing.
Srsly, I'm laughing all the way to the bank because my salary has increased significantly but my living expenses have stayed the same. If people move out here and do the same for a few years, they can walk away a happy person.

Last edited by tonym9428; 03-15-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I'm a 30 year old male and moved out to the Bay Area last year from Pennsylvania and live/work in the east bay. I make 100K which is probably poverty to some you. However, anyone with financial sense can make a killing out here. My biggest expense is rent, which I pay a whopping $800 for a room in a house. After everything, I end up saving about $3K each month and that's after eating out every day and being a bit care free with my money.

Some of you are just bad at money management or need to look harder for cheap housing.
Srsly, I'm laughing all the way to the bank because my salary has increased significantly but my living expenses have stayed the same. If people move out here and do the same for a few years, they can walk away a happy person.
It's just easier to whine about it Tony. Then in the meantime, vote for every single tax increase you can, put in elected officials that will fleece you in other ways, and scream it's the NIMBY's fault. Oh and let's not forget putting in place ridiculous schemes like rent control to drive costs down (yeah, how's that working out).

Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland