Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't need to dine with the city mayor to know that video doesn't represent all of Vallejo, and is misleading and potentially inflammatory to the point that it could be considered borderline trolling. Over half the population of Vallejo is white or Asian, for one thing. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?
Trolling for showing a video that is a real depiction of some of the citizens of Vallejo? Do you dispute that the video is real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 PM

102,189 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Trolling for showing a video that is a real depiction of some of the citizens of Vallejo? Do you dispute that the video is real?
The caption the poster gave the post was, "Vallejo in all its glory".

Old 03-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Vallejo was named fourth in a list of the most dangerous California cities. But I am sure some posters here will jump on the "not all" bandwagon. For such persons I say, no, "not all" is bad. OMG we get it: not all, but much is. I too am familiar with Vallejo.

Vallejo named fourth in list of most dangerous California cities

Another Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed gives Vallejo a 6 out of 100 in safety.

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't say it was the only bad neighborhood in Vallejo. You're wrong about my never having set foot in Vallejo, which isn't surprising, since you don't know me. I was commenting on a misleading post/video, that's all. Stop trying to turn it into more than it is.
Explain how the video was misleading. Again I ask, was the video a fake? Are such videos available that were filmed in Mill Valley?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,731 times
Quote:
Vallejo was named fourth in a list of the most dangerous California cities. But I am sure some posters here will jump on the "not all" bandwagon. For such persons I say, no, "not all" is bad. OMG we get it: not all, but much is. I too am familiar with Vallejo.

Vallejo named fourth in list of most dangerous California cities

Another Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed gives Vallejo a 6 out of 100 in safety.
It's got amazing weather though so it WILL gentrify.

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
It's got amazing weather though so it WILL gentrify.
On the weather we can agree.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,731 times
Quote:
On the weather we can agree.
It already costs 300+k for a house. Eventually the troublesome characters won't be able to afford home ownership or even renting.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 AM

11 posts, read 10,796 times
As I have said in other threads, we moved to the Vallejo heritage district in July, and we are all very happy here. My husband has several job offers all across the country, but I don't want to leave Vallejo.

My neighbors across the street have been here 10 years and have not had problems with crime. My next door neighbors have lived here 20 years. They had something stolen off of their porch. Otherwise no problems at all.

I understand that Vallejo has crime that is more frequent in some areas than others. I have never lived in a town that wasn't the same. I'm not interested in generic areas like Glen Clove or Benicia or even Walnut Creek. I understand why some people like those types of communities but I'd never never want to live in a place like that.

We have had our current mayor over to the house. Maybe Vallejo is on the cusp of big changes, but I'll be happy here even if that doesn't happen. If it does happen, I'm sure I'll be nostalgic for the good old pregentrification days.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
It already costs 300+k for a house. Eventually the troublesome characters won't be able to afford home ownership or even renting.
Sadly, in cases like this the less desirable elements still manage to maintain footholds in areas regardless of rising housing costs and gentrification which can take many years. They're like cockroaches. It's difficult, if not impossible, to eradicate them. This isn't strictly a matter of means but rather a matter of upbringing and temperament.

I don't understand the arguments or why they're found necessary. Last I checked, opinions are permissible and people don't have to have lived in a place to have one about it. For instance, I've never set foot in Ferguson, MO to know that I wouldn't care to live there. My wife was born in Vallejo and we've driven through there on several occasions and while picturesque, the crime stats speak for themselves and I would not consider taking up residence there any more than I would in Oakland. Those are personal choices.

These are all matters of personal experiences. Should I be attacked for them? Should anyone? I think not.

Opinions count. Sometimes they're all we have and like all of us they're very individual and can't really be argued.

As always, just one man's opinion.

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No, we don't have to do that, but as someone who actually knows the former Mayor of Vallejo (I know Osby Davis, have had dinner in his home, and know his children), and I've done business with the City of Vallejo, there are more areas than the Crest that are a little rough. Vallejo has the second highest violent crime rate in California for cities over 100,000(behind Oakland). So the reputation doesn't come from nowhere.

The broader point I was making though is that you should probably comment on things you know about, or have some experience with before you add your 2 cents. Just a little friendly advice.
I dont think Vallejo has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland