Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM

36 posts, read 168,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I didn't crap on the sidewalk.
Good man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM

140 posts, read 428,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I see there are so many facets to homelessness and what causes it. Just like there are different reasons why people are on welfare, some can't, some won't work or get themselves out of a bad situation. Sometimes trying is not enough.
There are many mentally ill on welfare, in projects too. Some teeter on the edge of homelessness for years till they finally fall off.
I guess there is no formula for any of it, we need to look at it on a case by case basis.
Working for low wages will make a person tired after years of fighting to hold on. Someone with a high school diploma alone cannot get the high wage jobs usually and may not be able to afford rent in a place like San Francisco. I think everyone has a right to chose the city they live in, so it's up to the city to make housing affordable and not let those rents go sky high. If homelessness will ever be resolved, is up to everyone. Not just the mayor.
I'm not sure if San Fran already went through their housing bust, but right now there are very few homes on the market for a city its size. In Florida, our home prices are still relatively low because of the vast inventory of homes to choose from. Not sure what the city comparisons are but here are the stats for the state: Florida has a population of 18 mil. with 250,000 homes on the market verses CA's 33 mil. with 125,000 homes listed. If the builders build more(affordable) residential than we need and flood the market, the prices will be driven down. Simple supply and demand could solve the issue of affordable housing, though it is only one small facet of curbing homelessness. Perhaps we should look to the cities who have successfully lowered their homeless populations(humanely) and follow suit.

Last edited by FrozenShores; 03-11-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM

493 posts, read 633,694 times
Has San Francisco always had a homeless problem? Was spike in the cost of living a contributor? What are the racial demographics of san francisco's homeless population, is it a mix of caucasian, latino, black, etc...? I recently joined a christian ministry to help care for and find jobs for those who are homeless...my city has a lot more than I could have a imagined, are there private organizations in sf religious and secular that run shelters?
just cruious

Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM

175 posts, read 794,519 times
Default Home in SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Has San Francisco always had a homeless problem? Was spike in the cost of living a contributor? What are the racial demographics of san francisco's homeless population, is it a mix of caucasian, latino, black, etc...? I recently joined a christian ministry to help care for and find jobs for those who are homeless...my city has a lot more than I could have a imagined, are there private organizations in sf religious and secular that run shelters?
just cruious

Ugh my pet peeve. We PAY them to live there. Makes me crazy. Then they get in your face and yell at you wanting more. Believe me it's not food they want. I want them all kicked out.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 794,519 times
Default Chosing where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I see there are so many facets to homelessness and what causes it. Just like there are different reasons why people are on welfare, some can't, some won't work or get themselves out of a bad situation. Sometimes trying is not enough.
There are many mentally ill on welfare, in projects too. Some teeter on the edge of homelessness for years till they finally fall off.
I guess there is no formula for any of it, we need to look at it on a case by case basis.
Working for low wages will make a person tired after years of fighting to hold on. Someone with a high school diploma alone cannot get the high wage jobs usually and may not be able to afford rent in a place like San Francisco. I think everyone has a right to chose the city they live in, so it's up to the city to make housing affordable and not let those rents go sky high. If homelessness will ever be resolved, is up to everyone. Not just the mayor.
If a working family cannot afford to live in SF then why should the government provide housing for those that are not working, mentally ill, addicted, etc etc. It's one of the most expensive cities in the USA. I think there are plenty of agricultural jobs available outside the city (of course they'd have to WORK which seems to be their major complaint). Get real people. Bleeding hearts are bleeding us dry.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:59 PM

26 posts, read 70,119 times
Lurker: you might check out Rockridge and Montclair in Oakland if you want to live in a more upscale urban area. I live near Piedmont Avenue which has some regular panhandlers. I have been to SF and I would say there are definitely fewer homeless/panhandlers in my neighborhood than in areas I have been to in SF. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM

66 posts, read 212,184 times
Bernal Heights is more or less immune. The funny reason is because it is such a drastic push up the hill that I seriously think they just don't want to push their carts up here. S

Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: A right angle directly south of Sac and east of the bay area
120 posts, read 385,360 times
Should tell those folks in the hieghts to roll their plastic/glass bottles down the hill. Theres money to be made.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,079 times
Default old croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I didn't crap on the sidewalk.
Thanks, because stepping in people poo, in your favorite shoes is not fun, trust me, i know.

i work two jobs downtown, one of them being at a cafe, and every night after we close we take the left over food to the homeless. No one deserves to be hungry, besides, that could be your aunt, children, grandchildren, or best friend out there. i know i've had a friend fall, and we were able to get her out only because people in the city have an open heart to the homeless. if you've lived in the city long enough, you get the satisfaction of seeing some people who were once homeless recover and even start working and contributing to society.

if that old hard croissant gets them through another day until they can get help so be it.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,508,856 times
Having been homeless myself, and now priced out of SF, I sure hope the OP does not move to SF. People like this are one of the reasons so many of us natives are priced out of our own home town. If you aren't part of the solution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland