Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, parking is awful in most parts of SF! Garages are available downtown, and will easily cost you $15-20+ for the day... they usually don't have a time limit, but will sometimes close between (approx) 12am-7am. Metered spots are hard to find, cost a whopping $2/hour, and usually have strict limits of 1-2 hours (the meter-maid nazis will nail you for that). We also have street cleaning once a week, and barely-there "spots" that will fool you into being towed. All I can say is, thank goodness I live in a house with my very own garage & parking spot. Some neighborhoods, like the Sunset district, do have free & somewhat available street parking... but anywhere in/near downtown is a nightmare, which is why I either take BART or prepare to pay $20 at a garage.
Parking is definitely possible in the Sunset, I can say from experience.. even close to Golden Gate Park. The only exception is if you wind up in a neighborhood with a lot of apartments. However, I still have a large dent in the side of my Element that I'm pretty sure someone inflicted on it because they were unhappy with my park job. I leave it there as a reminder never to move back to the City. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Are you kidding? There are over 110,000 Hispanic/Latinos, and 50,000 Blacks living in SF. Also the Asian population which is around 250,000, is comprised of much more than Chinese. There's also Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Japanese and more. then there are Pacific islanders such as Tongans, Samoans, etc...
Filipinos do not liked to be called Asians incidently. They feel for the most part that they are distinct from other Asians being that they come from a group of islands and that most of them are catholic.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Filipinos do not liked to be called Asians incidently. They feel for the most part that they are distinct from other Asians being that they come from a group of islands and that most of them are catholic.
Filipinos that try to distance themselves from other Asians are usually the younger generation who think they are too "Cool" to be considered Asian. They like to claim they are Pacific Islanders which is ridiculous and I know plenty of real P.I's (Samoans, Tongans, ) who do not like it.

Japan is a series of Islands in the Pacific also. Why are they not Pacific Islanders? There are millions of Christian Asians.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:43 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
No Are you kidding? 110 thousand Latinos and 50 thousand blacks in a city of nearly 800k and the other Asian sub groups you're mentioning are hardly seen. Give me a break.
Those numbers are about on-par with national averages... just seems "non-diverse" to Californians, I guess, since we have towns with MUCH higher non-white populations. Anyway, why does it matter? I love being around different types of people, but it seems silly to keep tallies & argue about it.

P.S. Come to my neighborhood sometime, and you'll be hard-pressed to find any white people - aside from myself, LOL.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:05 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Those numbers are about on-par with national averages... just seems "non-diverse" to Californians, I guess, since we have towns with MUCH higher non-white populations. Anyway, why does it matter? I love being around different types of people, but it seems silly to keep tallies & argue about it.

P.S. Come to my neighborhood sometime, and you'll be hard-pressed to find any white people - aside from myself, LOL.
When I think of Diversity of I think Oakland Not San Francisco. Being that I'm Black myself I like to live around a nice sized black population, San Francisco does not have that and many blacks from other parts of the country will side with me on that. I also like to live around other groups, but San Francisco does not give me that unless you're talking about Asians only. Most places in the U.S. are black and white with not much in between which is why I live on the coast.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
When I think of Diversity of I think Oakland Not San Francisco.
Berkeley or Richmond for me. You see everything in those towns. And I agree completely that San Francisco has become mostly white bread.. blacks are leaving even the black neighborhoods. Landlords are evicting long-term tenants to do renovations so they can get around rent control, and they have to go elsewhere because that's all they could afford.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Filipinos that try to distance themselves from other Asians are usually the younger generation who think they are too "Cool" to be considered Asian. They like to claim they are Pacific Islanders which is ridiculous and I know plenty of real P.I's (Samoans, Tongans, ) who do not like it.

Japan is a series of Islands in the Pacific also. Why are they not Pacific Islanders? There are millions of Christian Asians.
Why do Filipinos have a seperate category on Census form for themselves apart from Asians?

Every Filipino I ever met just considers themselves Filipino period.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
1. surfing is very cold
2. lots of big sharks
3. fierce job market
4. gota have strong legs for those steep hills
5. cost of living is a lil hi
6. cold & overcast a great deal
im sorry i love san francisco. 10 year resident. failed miserably to complete the list.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 36,829 times
1. Definately the cost of housing. $1800 a month is cheap here...
2. Cost of gas, and insurance and all the vehicle stuff.... i seriously pay on my car what certain people would pay to LIVE in say... Iowa?
3. Lack of road infrastructure... i have seriously seen people caught in the middle of Market street intersection all because San Francisco is too cheap or too "environment-friendly" to put up a left turn arrow signal. Not to mention there are no signs on the 101 that tell you to merge or slow down because of a sharp curve in the road... There has been countless incedents where I see people holding up traffic because they are swapping phone numbers and business cards....
4. Traffic... I have sat on Mission street for 30 minutes once on one block all because people are too stupid to not block an intersection...
5. stupid flaky drivers.... you know who they are... the ones who dart across 5 lanes or get over at the last minute or leave their turn signals on...yacking on their cell phones to someone who they think makes them feel important enough to not pay attention to the road... in new york they would get shot.
6. Parking.... just scratch out my eyeballs on that one..
7. the homeless and the amount of homeless... seriously.... places like the haight or mission st would be so much nicer if the homeless were moved away... I wretch at the things they do in front of innocent families and children... I mean some of them are down on luck... the rest are just too lazy or inebriated to do something about it... and because San Francisco is full of bleeding hearts, we are the only place sympathetic enough to deal with their crap... i mean I saw a southpark episode about how they send homeless people to CA... it's really true, the greyhound station is full of homeless crackheads in exile from other cities... no lie.
8. the fog.... the FOG!!!
9. the people who complain that I am not "in touch with reality" because I'm not a cokehead, or because I don't think 9/11 is a conspiracy thought up by George W. Bush... or because I am carrying something in a plastic bag instead of a paper one or vice versa, or because I threw paper in a dumpster instead of taking it to a recycling center 3 miles away... When you live here you'll notice them...
10. this isnt really a negative... but one of my test questions to get a renewed drivers license was: What do you do when a farmer is herding livestock across the street?.... in SF?!?! GOATS IN SF?!?! WHERE?!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 36,829 times
now for the counterpoints/positives because I am bored and I have nothing to do
1. The scenery... the scenery of San Francisco is absolutely incredible when it's clear... there are so many beautiful landscape spots such as highway one south of pacifica or Twin peaks or land's end... the sunset is beautiful too..
2. The things to do... I never run out of things to do... although I am a bit biased as a 19 year old gay male in SF... but I went to Folsom Street fair one week and I missed out on the castro street fair the next month... and I asked someone "what is there a gay festival/gathering every month here?" and he replied "no, every week." but if that's not your cup of tea, you can go to haight street or stroll through golden gate park...
3. the fact that even though this city is like 160 something years old... it still looks frozen in time, even after two earthquakes... it's like NYC in the sense that it mixes the old with the new very remarkably.
4. Even though it's foggy... if you honestly hate the weather... drive 5 minutes in any direction and watch your car thermostat go schizo...
5. The hills.. I LOVE the hills... the adrenaline i get from everytime i conquer one of those suckers is enough to choke an elephant.
6. Yosemite is 3 hours away, San Josie is 1 Hour, LA 6 and a half, Oakland/Berkeley 10 minutes (at 3AM no rush hour traffic). Not to mention a million other things close by...
7. I love the flora here... the flowers and the plants are sooo nice here
8. Whoever you are here, chances are that there is someone gayer, more liberal, more crazy, more careless/careful about fashion, smarter/dumber than you are... I mean seriously, I have seen so many streakers walking out and about naked... and their only excuse was "hey, it's a beautiful day"... so chances are you won't stick out too much... that is unless you're a republican conservative
9. Even though I am not a militant environmentalist... i like the fact that SF is one of the most environment friendly cities in the country... which means when you walk home at night, you are not breathing in carcinogenic smog like they do down south in LA-LA land.
10. the fact that half of the people on this postboard when asked the question "what are ten negatives of SF?" can't finish the list... or like myself, have a hard time doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland