Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 PM

711 posts, read 687,800 times

Advertisements

You'll probably want to scratch Castro Valley off your list. It's definitely safe and easy to travel to Pleasanton. Beyond that though it's more of a family oriented suburb with not a great deal to do socially. The only upside I could see to CV for you is that it would put you midway between Pleasanton and other locations you're considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:31 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
In your terms.... (more or less)

Oakland is North Philly - the bad parts, but also Fairmont/Art Museum in places.
Berkeley is U City/West Philly
Walnut Creek is Ardmore/Bryn Mawr
Castro Valley and Pleasanton are King of Prussia/Wayne/Montgomery County.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post

Oakland is North Philly - the bad parts, but also Fairmont/Art Museum in places.
I don't think your descriptor of Oakland is accurate as Oakland has all types of neighborhoods from affluent to hippie to artsy to alternative to dangerous. So you have likely oversimplified things.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 9,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post

I found this super helpful! Thank you!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't think students really affect most areas. Only the areas right around the actual campuses are affected. And only towns with major universities are affected all over that town, like Berkeley and Palo Alto (Stanford).
Albany and El Cerrito also get student renters looking for a cheaper deal than in Berkeley/north Oakland. But the comment was in reference to the OP's original interest in living in Oakland. She's now pretty much given up on that idea.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linlins View Post
Thank you! That means a lot - can't wait to not freeze every winter.

What areas around Pleasanton would you say are safe yet "fun" for young professionals? Is there such an area that exists? Would you say Walnut Creek is that area?

I'm 30 and moved to Pleasanton last year from Pittsburgh, PA.
Pleasanton is a nice place and it has a nice/quaint downtown. However, most places close early and I think there is only one bar which stays open late. If that's what you're looking for, you may have to travel to SF or Oakland. There are lots of young pros working at Workday, Roche, Deloitte, various tech start ups, etc in Pleasanton. However, I think most live in the surrounding east bay cities like San Ramon, Hayward, Livermore, and Dublin. Average rent in pleasanton is around 2,500, so that is probably a big reason for that. I live in Livermore now, it's much quieter and more of a cowtown, which is what I prefer.

The drive from WC to Pleasanton is about 50-60 minutes during the morn/evening, so bear that in mind.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Quote:
Thank you! That means a lot - can't wait to not freeze every winter.

What areas around Pleasanton would you say are safe yet "fun" for young professionals? Is there such an area that exists? Would you say Walnut Creek is that area?
I lived and worked in the Pleasanton area. You won't find a safer city anywhere than Pleasanton. All the areas around it like Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, etc. are all safe areas. Personally I would live right in Pleasanton. There is a BART station right there that will take you to San Francisco, Oakland etc. I used to take it all the time when I went to the SF Giants games.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I lived and worked in the Pleasanton area. You won't find a safer city anywhere than Pleasanton. All the areas around it like Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, etc. are all safe areas. Personally I would live right in Pleasanton. There is a BART station right there that will take you to San Francisco, Oakland etc. I used to take it all the time when I went to the SF Giants games.
Agreed - there's an old saying to live close to where you work, as much as possible. Pleasanton is appropriately named...and you can take BART to go out to SF/Oakland on your leisure time.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:41 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,554,998 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts about Castro Valley? (Safety, travel to Pleasanton, things to do/people to meet)
Castro valley is mostly pretty safe and one of your cheaper places to live. I have friends that drive to Walnut Creek and Danville for social activities that live there. Commute to Pleasanton won't be bad

Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think your descriptor of Oakland is accurate as Oakland has all types of neighborhoods from affluent to hippie to artsy to alternative to dangerous. So you have likely oversimplified things.
North Philly has the same spectrum of neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland