Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,310,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
and still the snobbery continues... Greg op I bet you can't get out of N Ca fast enough. And I'm a daughter not a son
lol it's definitely tiring dealing with this place day in & day out. Make the best of it while I'm here I suppose. I know the move is coming, so that's the positive side of things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 PM

10,310 posts, read 8,480,866 times
Something to think about. To those that tout the top rated Michelin restaurants as a reason to live there, how often do you dine there?
Every weekend?
Once a month?
Once a year?
I know it's really expensive so I'm wondering if you all have an income that allows you to pop for $500 for a meal for 2 every weekend. I lived in Ca for 57 years and only know one person that went to these types of places and said he did it to say he did it, but didn't plan on ever going back. It was good, but he said for $100 he could have had a meal he was just as happy with.
The point I'm making is that for some people who seldom eat there and can live cheaper elsewhere, they could always vacation in Ca and eat at these places with the money they save and still have lot's left over.
Just a thought.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,267,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

I'm a traditionalist and go by the Michelin rankings. These are the 3 star Michelin restaurants in the USA.

New York and the Bay Area have the most Atlanta ,Philadelphia and charleston have none.

Location Restaurant Head chef Year of award
Chicago Alinea Grant Achatz 2011[66]
Chicago Grace Curtis Duffy 2015[67]
New York City Jean Georges Mark LaPico 2006[68]
New York City Le Bernardin Eric Ripert 2006[68]
New York City Per Se Thomas Keller 2006[68]
New York City Masa Masa Takayama 2009[69]
New York City Eleven Madison Park Daniel Humm 2012[70]
New York City Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare César Ramírez 2012[70]
Yountville, California The French Laundry Thomas Keller 2007[71]
St. Helena, California The Restaurant at Meadowood Christopher Kostow 2011[72]
San Francisco Benu Corey Lee 2015[73][74]
San Francisco Saison Joshua Skenes 2015[73][75]
Los Gatos, California Manresa David Kinch 2016[76]
San Francisco Quince Michael Tusk 2017[77]

Fine dining is Paris,Japan,New York ,Bay Area at least for people whose job is knowing about these type of things
Who cares? It is difficult to find something I care less about than Michelin restaurants.(even though I always buy Michelin tires). I have dined out at restaurants in the city of San Francisco exactly 3 times since Sept. 2010. Two of those times were with out of town visitors and one was a Chinese New Year dinner. I especially cannot stand pretentious restaurants and I consider their presence a huge negative.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,267,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Make the best of it while I'm here I suppose. I know the move is coming, so that's the positive side of things
My favorite locations in the bay area are places with Pacific Ocean coastline like Pacifica, Montara, Pillar Point Harbor and Half Moon Bay. Check them out on a weekday if possible. The weekend Half Moon Bay traffic is horrible. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,310,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
My favorite locations in the bay area are places with Pacific Ocean coastline like Pacifica, Montara, Pillar Point Harbor and Half Moon Bay. Check them out on a weekday if possible. The weekend Half Moon Bay traffic is horrible. Good luck with your move!
We've been to all the places you mentioned. We've done a lot of exploring here, and the scenery is great! We enjoy Tahoe. The snowboarding was great this winter, and paddle boarding on the lake in the summer is awesome

Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 PM

882 posts, read 685,329 times
FYI Greg (I figured I'd share this with you since you're at least open minded enough to appreciate this)...my wife and I were walking the neighborhood this weekend and came across one of my neighbors who was a Democrat (I suspect it's a fair assumption since he had posters in his window for every Democratic candidate for the last 20 years at election time). We mentioned that we were thinking about relocating (the area we're considering is a "Blue" area). He said it was a good choice because it was one of the areas that "we" would fit in. Just for clarity, I asked if he meant politically and he said "yes". But of course, according to the posters here, this type of thing just doesn't go on in conversations.

It never ceases to amaze what people are brainwashed into believing. Right up their with the earlier prediction I made. It's simply ridiculous to deny it.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 04-30-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,771,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Something to think about. To those that tout the top rated Michelin restaurants as a reason to live there, how often do you dine there?
Every weekend?
Once a month?
Once a year?
I know it's really expensive so I'm wondering if you all have an income that allows you to pop for $500 for a meal for 2 every weekend. I lived in Ca for 57 years and only know one person that went to these types of places and said he did it to say he did it, but didn't plan on ever going back. It was good, but he said for $100 he could have had a meal he was just as happy with.
The point I'm making is that for some people who seldom eat there and can live cheaper elsewhere, they could always vacation in Ca and eat at these places with the money they save and still have lot's left over.
Just a thought.
I know people who don't like the Bay Area hate to hear this but there are extremely wealthy people who liive in the Bay Area
The top 1% in San Francisco make over $800,000 a year
A plurality of people around here believe you need a Net worth of $6 million to be wealthy and a net worth over $1 million to be comfortable. Not me a lot of people
http://www.townandcountrymag.com/soc...y-bay-area-sf/
You can make half a million a year ,own a $2 million home and have a net worth of $4 million and you are not wealthy here
A 900 square foot tear down home sold for $2.25 million in Palo Alto

Homes in Oakland neighborhoods
Rockridge $2-3 million
Crockerhighlands $2-3 million
Claremont pines $2-4 million

And that's Oakland

Cow hollow can run $6-10 million
Noe valley $4-6 million
Presidio heights $5-10 million
Glen park$3-6 millions

And I haven't even touched on the "truly wealthy " areas like Hillsborough or sea cliff with homes running in the $14-20 million

I know seeing these numbers is going to make some people butt hurt.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:13 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
That's pretty much in line with my experiences also, nmnita. I don't see those pockets of Conservatives you refer to (don't live in the Central Valley...been mostly either in the city or 5 miles of it for the last 50 years). I'd say about 1 in 3 in my neighborhood are far left. What I find is amazing is how they just hurl insults toward any Republican President, making the assumption that everyone agrees with their viewpoint. Apparently they have no idea how that just makes them look like pompous a-holes. As much as I like to give some people the business on-line (and many deserve it with the rudeness they dish out), I'm very respectful of people and their viewpoints in my neighborhood and at work. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand how many people I can have a civil conversation about politics in this area. It's pretty much "their way or the highway thing" with the majority and has been that way for years in my neighborhood and my workplace. Personally, I think all the labelling BS is sad. People simply can't talk about issues here and root for political parties like sports teams. I stopped rooting for sports teams years ago. Many of my friends say I remind them of a Vegas gambler. I put my money on the team that gives me the best chance of winning. Plenty of people have different priorities than the people in the Bay Area (and for that matter, the country ). Too bad the vast majority in this area can't seem to grasp that.
^^Pretty much my experience, too.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
And thus has it ever been. Don't you remember when you were a kid hearing that when engaging in polite conversation, you don't talk about religion and politics? People get emotionally involved, and to many, it is not possible to have a "civil conversation" if there is disagreement in these areas. And that is on both sides of the aisle. In addition to being very contentious topics in general, people take these things very personally. One's belief system is a reflection of the inner self, and woe be to the person that threatens that that!
....But that's the thing....a lot people bring up politics a lot in the Bay Area, or they make everything political when it need not be.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM

153 posts, read 199,328 times
I'm super impressed that ssmaster has a lot of money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland