Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
This is hilarious! The Bay Area is full of the most narrow minded, rude, stuck up individuals I have ever met/been around in my entire life! There are no such things as manners, or politeness here. Everyone is all about themselves.

Where I'm from, if you're short a couple dollars to get something at the gas station, no big deal, the person behind you will help out because that's what it's about, paying it forward and looking out for eachother. I miss that more than anything! I rarely find myself having a decent conversation in this area, because I'm "Southern" and get comments on my accent all the time and automatically become a redneck to most people, which is fine. I am proud to be from "the country".

There is no such thing as a civil discussion, as all the other posts prove in this discussion already.
"ALL"? I thought you and I had a pretty good back-and-forth going at the outset of your thread. Even tho I privately disagreed with a couple of your points, I respect your basic sentiment that the Bay Area is not a good match for you. I also appreciate your appreciation of the redwoods.

But rude, stuck-up, no manners? No helping out with a couple of bucks, "paying it forward"? That's not the Bay Area I know. I'm sorry you ran into whatever behavior caused you to draw the conclusions you did. I can vouch personally to the fact that people do help out (apparently it depends on what people?) with small gestures when asked. When I was a teen or college student, a couple of times I came up short for change for transit. I felt very awkward about asking for a buck, or whatever it was; help from strangers was not something I took for granted. But people gave me a few quarters, or whatever. You could say it was a different Bay Area back then, but people like that are still there. One thing I've always loved about the Bay Area is people's friendliness and neighborliness. I guess your neighborhood and experience were with a different type of crowd....? Sorry to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 PM

711 posts, read 687,800 times
Greg, IMO it's good that you came. You can almost think of it as a long vacation in a place that was interesting to visit but not the right fit for you for a place to live. And you got paid for being here!

The things that are a fit for you in Kentucky would be a no go for me. The top two would be the weather and no mountains. Those certainly don't take away from the things though that make it home for a lot of people.

Many of the things you mentioned you really enjoyed here are why I love California. Plus it's always been home for me. That said, I haven't lived in the Bay area all my life - just 30 some years. And it has changed. Honestly not for the better in many ways.

Enjoy your next home. Between the various mudslinging posts, I lost track of whether you're going back to KY or you'll go somewhere new. Regardless of where it is, I'm sure there will be both beauty and warts.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wanna bet he'll still come back to this forum, after he's gone back to the land he lubs?

They never really leave. They hate leaving their salaries behind them along with their dreams of the future they expected to be not only lucrative, but without any trade-offs.
It's funny, I do of course make more $$$ here compared to Louisville, simply because the cost of living is outrageous. Being that I've been with my company for a lengthy time, I will not have to take a pay cut. So when I do indeed move, thanks to my longevity with my company, I will not only make the same amount I do now, that money will also go sooooooooooooooooo much further.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Greg, IMO it's good that you came. You can almost think of it as a long vacation in a place that was interesting to visit but not the right fit for you for a place to live. And you got paid for being here!

The things that are a fit for you in Kentucky would be a no go for me. The top two would be the weather and no mountains. Those certainly don't take away from the things though that make it home for a lot of people.

Many of the things you mentioned you really enjoyed here are why I love California. Plus it's always been home for me. That said, I haven't lived in the Bay area all my life - just 30 some years. And it has changed. Honestly not for the better in many ways.

Enjoy your next home. Between the various mudslinging posts, I lost track of whether you're going back to KY or you'll go somewhere new. Regardless of where it is, I'm sure there will be both beauty and warts.
There will always be downsides of every city/town. The plan would be to get back to KY if possible. You hit the nail on the head, it was a long vacation that let my wife and I experience some pretty neat things.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"ALL"? I thought you and I had a pretty good back-and-forth going at the outset of your thread. Even tho I privately disagreed with a couple of your points, I respect your basic sentiment that the Bay Area is not a good match for you. I also appreciate your appreciation of the redwoods.

But rude, stuck-up, no manners? No helping out with a couple of bucks, "paying it forward"? That's not the Bay Area I know. I'm sorry you ran into whatever behavior caused you to draw the conclusions you did. I can vouch personally to the fact that people do help out (apparently it depends on what people?) with small gestures when asked. When I was a teen or college student, a couple of times I came up short for change for transit. I felt very awkward about asking for a buck, or whatever it was; help from strangers was not something I took for granted. But people gave me a few quarters, or whatever. You could say it was a different Bay Area back then, but people like that are still there. One thing I've always loved about the Bay Area is people's friendliness and neighborliness. I guess your neighborhood and experience were with a different type of crowd....? Sorry to hear that.
I can't say that ALL people are rude, but I can say that there have been a considerable amount of more rude, than friendly. And I do understand, that with as much crap that goes on here, and the homeless, etc...It makes sense. Doesn't make it right though

Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Hicks & horses vs Liberals & A$$holes

I'll gladly spend my time with hicks & horses. I'll also enjoy my affordability, ability to own land, guns, and have decent people around me. You can keep the crime, the poverty, homeless, and pee/crap covered sidewalks.
But OP, wouldn't you get paid a lot less for the same job back home, so the affordability wouldn't come out that differently? And why has this ability-to-own-guns meme come up on the forum lately? There are gun clubs, hunting clubs, shooting ranges, no problem. Could you explain this issue? Those of us with guns or with friends/relatives with guns don't understand it. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
I'm willing to bet anything & everything that I'll never return to this section of the forum once I have indeed left this area. There would be nothing for me here, and frankly, there's nothing to make me want to return.
And yet, here you are. With some bizarre need to try and convince us we're all crazy for loving it. And how we're all horrible people you can't stand. Why is that?

My guess is it's some need for you to try to convince yourself that you're not really a failure for going back with your tail between your legs. I get it. You're working on the argument you'll use when you go back home.

Carry on.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But OP, wouldn't you get paid a lot less for the same job back home, so the affordability wouldn't come out that differently? And why has this ability-to-own-guns meme come up on the forum lately? There are gun clubs, hunting clubs, shooting ranges, no problem. Could you explain this issue? Those of us with guns or with friends/relatives with guns don't understand it. Thanks.
I stated in a previous reply, that due to my lengthy time at my company, I wouldn't have to take a pay cut, and if I did, it would be very minimal. Luckily, I'm in a good position that has a decent pay scale on a national level.

The only reason my wife and I decided to come to California, was simply because we could and wanted to see new things. No kids, family is all in KY, and we wanted to be able to see some things we never have. That's exactly what we did/have done and again, I'm grateful for that.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And yet, here you are. With some bizarre need to try and convince us we're all crazy for loving it. And how we're all horrible people you can't stand. Why is that?

My guess is it's some need for you to try to convince yourself that you're not really a failure for going back with your tail between your legs. I get it. You're working on the argument you'll use when you go back home.

Carry on.
I don't need you to agree that this place sucks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I have stated mine. Of course, people get all rawr rawr rawr because they get offended. Touchy people I suppose.

A failure? Far from it. Everyone has a lifestyle/preference on where they'd like to be. You, obviously prefer this area and that's great, I'm glad you like it. I prefer other things. Like land, peacefulness, having family nearby and able to visit during the holidays without having to pay an arm & leg to fly cross country.

I will still be with the same company, making great money, and be able to add some really cool things to my list of things I've done/seen. If anything, I consider this a "victory", a lot of people aren't able to openly move around with a great company.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
I stated in a previous reply, that due to my lengthy time at my company, I wouldn't have to take a pay cut, and if I did, it would be very minimal. Luckily, I'm in a good position that has a decent pay scale on a national level.

The only reason my wife and I decided to come to California, was simply because we could and wanted to see new things. No kids, family is all in KY, and we wanted to be able to see some things we never have. That's exactly what we did/have done and again, I'm grateful for that.
Smooth. Way to spin it.

Of course, had you actually loved where you were and being close to your family, and had no need for more money or to have SF on your resume, you would have had no need to completely relocate, and to a more expensive locale.

It's called a vacation.

But, you'll probably convince some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland