Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better for living?
San Francisco 14 87.50%
San Jose 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
No. San Jose doesn't even have the major companies that fuel Silicon Valley. The suburbs like Palo Alto and Mountain View do. Why do you think all the techies that are technically closer to San Jose do 1 hour+ plus commutes to live in San Francisco. No one will ever refer to San Jose as "the city" in terms of the Bay Area. Ever. I don't hate San Jose at all. I rather like it. But you can't in a million years compare the two. San Francisco is compared to Manhattan, Los Angeles, Chicago, Paris- stuff like that. Compare San Jose to Phoenix, or if you want to keep it Nor Cal, do Sacramento. But San Francisco? Nah. San Francisco is the second most urbanized city in the United States, only outdone by NYC. Just so you know.
Cisco, Adobe, Samsung and Ebay are in San Jose! Downtown SJ is compared to Manhattan, not Downtown SF. San Jose can take on Paris since I visited it last summer. San Jose is truly a world class city: world class population, diversity, downtown, airport and transportation. Remember, techies live in Downtown SJ and are very happy over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM

187 posts, read 206,219 times
As a San Jose native, I believe it's obvious that SJ easily beats SF in any given category. To be fair, we must compare SJ to cities outside of our region:

- SJ vs LA ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Chicago ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs New York ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs London ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Paris ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Berlin ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Zurich ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Rome ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Prague ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Istanbul ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Tokyo ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Seoul ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Singapore ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Hong Kong ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Shanghai ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Sydney ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Moscow ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Toronto ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Olympus Mons ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Europa ---> winner: SJ
- SJ vs Rings of Saturn ---> winner: SJ

Well, there you have it. Definitive proof SJ is the best city in the world (and quite possibly the entire solar system).

Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Lived in both and like San Jose much better.

That's not to say SF doesn't best San Jo in many aspects. But SJ is just way more laid back, less hectic, and less annoying types of people.

The vibe is similar to SoCal and Sac. South Bay is the only part of the bay that is decent, IMO. Can't stand anything north of Palo Alto or Milpitas, in the bay.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:42 PM

143 posts, read 158,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Which city do you like better, San Francisco or San Jose?

Downtown: SJ- more vibrant all around

Culture: Tie

Economy: SJ- capital of Silicon Valley

Weather: SJ-warmer

Sport stadiums/arenas: SJ

Population: SJ- over 1 million in SJ and less than a Million in SF

Transportation: Tie

Shopping: SF

History: SF

Vitality: SF

Scenery: SF
SF has arguably the best stadium in MLB

Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Downtown SJ is compared to Manhattan, not Downtown SF.
You're so trolling. I actually laughed out loud to that.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
You're so trolling. I actually laughed out loud to that.
I don't troll. I really mean what I say. This is my true beliefs.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Cisco, Adobe, Samsung and Ebay are in San Jose! Downtown SJ is compared to Manhattan, not Downtown SF. San Jose can take on Paris since I visited it last summer. San Jose is truly a world class city: world class population, diversity, downtown, airport and transportation. Remember, techies live in Downtown SJ and are very happy over there.
topper, others may call you delusional, but not I for I see truth in what you say. To me, you're spot on!! Downtown SJ is indeed compared to Manhattan and that's a wonderful comparison. Like San Jose, which is home to SJSU, a public university, Manhattan, KS, too possesses a public university, K-State. The Little Apple and the Silicon Pimple have much, much in common.

You tell 'em, sport.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
It's easy to like San Francisco better initially, given what all it has to offer. It is also full of some of the most arrogant, sanctimonious people on the planet--like NYC- or Paris-level arrogant and sanctimonious.

I think it's much more fun to be a visitor in San Francisco, and one could spend weeks there and not truly experience all that that 46.7 some-odd square miles has to offer. But, it is, without a doubt, much easier (affordability notwithstanding, as we are still talking about the Bay Area) to live in San Jose.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
topper, others may call you delusional, but not I for I see truth in what you say. To me, you're spot on!! Downtown SJ is indeed compared to Manhattan and that's a wonderful comparison. Like San Jose, which is home to SJSU, a public university, Manhattan, KS, too possesses a public university, K-State. The Little Apple and the Silicon Pimple have much, much in common.

You tell 'em, sport.
Manhattan, NY! Never heard of Manhattan, KS until you

Old 05-25-2017, 02:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Paris is much better than either SF or SJ. And SJ isn't very interesting at all.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in either ... and I don't (although I live very, very close to SJ, and purposefully avoid downtown SJ as a waste of time). I visit SF a lot more than SJ. Better museums (went up to see the Monet exhibit last weekend, in fact), many more good restaurants (although I eat more in Cupertino and Saratoga than in either SJ or SF), better parks (nothing in SJ compares to GG Park), and frankly, SF even has a much better skyline. I'd *prefer* to fly out of SJC, but there are more flights (and generally cheaper ones) out of SFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland