Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

This fact just irks me with respect to this case.

Im not a fan of the defendant in any way, and the prosecution had dna evidence but without her body, to me it's all circumstantial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Im not a fan of the defendant in any way, and the prosecution had dna evidence but without her body, to me it's all circumstantial.
Well if she's not dead, then the defendant could have sang, and cleared it all up. No singing, too bad.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well if she's not dead, then the defendant could have sang, and cleared it all up. No singing, too bad.
Or he doesnt actually know because he's not involved in her disappearance. Idk.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Are you kidding?

They found her hair, confirmed by DNA test, on rope found in his car. They also found his DNA on her clothes on the side of the road. He raped her, he killed her, and he hid the body well.

The only way people could be irked by this verdict is if they are willing to turn off their brains and suspend all logic.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Wouldn't surprise me at all that he ponies up the location to avoid the needle.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
He raped her, he killed her, and he hid the body well.
So he was convicted because this is probably true?

Im not saying he's innocent, but his defense team wasnt very good imo.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:

So, the parents should never get justice because the defendant knows how to hide bodies?

First off, you and I weren't in the courtroom. And circumstancial evidence is still evidence. They can't make stuff up and pass it off. We've been told about the rope, and the clothing in the field...what other evidence was presented? I don't know. Do you? But evidently there was a lot of it, including creepy behavior towards a number of other women.

I am happy about the it one, and I don't think they got the wrong guy. That and other people have been convicted of murder without a body....

Old 05-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
So, the parents should never get justice because the defendant knows how to hide bodies?
Obviously the parents deserve justice, but we technically do NOT know for sure that's she's actually dead.

Like I said, he's probably guilty but none of us really know beyond a shadow of a doubt since the victim might actually have just run away from home.

Were I on that jury, I dont think I could have gotten past that.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:36 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
So he was convicted because this is probably true?
It is true beyond "reasonable doubt" which is the strictest standard of evidence in US Courts for criminal trials.

Her hair on rope in HIS car, his DNA on her clothes prevents there being any reasonable doubt that he was not only her captor, but also murderer.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 PM

758 posts, read 550,324 times
Quote:
Obviously the parents deserve justice, but we technically do NOT know for sure that's she's actually dead.

Like I said, he's probably guilty but none of us really know beyond a shadow of a doubt since the victim might actually have just run away from home.

Were I on that jury, I dont think I could have gotten past that.
1)As someone said below, the standard is not "Shadow of a doubt," the standard is "Reasonable doubt."

2)On standards, consider the table below:

-------------------------------Jury Acquits--------------------Jury Convicts
Person is Innocent....................A..................... ...................B
Person is Guilty........................C................... .....................D

What we'd love is to always have the result be in either cell A (Innocent person Acquitted) or cell D (Guilty person Convicted). Unfortunately, the more stringent you make the standard, the more you raise the chance of cell C (Guilty person Acquitted) happening. The looser you make the standard, the more you raise the chance of cell B (Innocent person Convicted) happening.

We see this in 18Montclair's call for "Shadow of a Doubt" standard. By that standard the defendant would have more likely been acquitted. Given the evidence, that raises the chance the case would fall into cell C.

The table above is used in law schools, criminal justice programs, and statistics classes to show that there's an unavoidable trade-off. It is impossible to assure all cases fall only into cells A and D. So, when we set the standard, we are really deciding which we worry about more: do we worry more about mistakenly freeing a guilty person (that is, do we want to minimize cell C)? If so, we set the standard low, and convict lots more people. Or, do we worry more about mistakenly convicted an innocent person (that is, do we want to minimize cell B)? If so, we set the standard high, and convict fewer people. Unless we just acquit everyone, or convict everyone, there's likely going to be cases in cell C and/or B.

I'm glad the only possibilities in this case are cells B and (more likely) D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland