U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 8,180,653 times

Advertisements

As an ex- San Franciscan we love living out here in Lamorinda. Great for being near all the restaurants, bars, entertainment, shopping etc. without having to live right in it. It's great to have a choice to do either Oakland/Berkeley for a more college/hip feel OR Walnut Creek for more suburban experience without any major parking hassles, etc.

I don't find it conservative here at all--definitely not like it may have been back in the 70's/1980's. More and more City folk have moved this way. In fact, even Danville and Walnut Creek are solid "blue" nowadays. I think all the conservatives are way out in Brentwood/Discovery Bay--farm territory.

Marin...is gorgeous but I think you'd probably find more older, established, less diverse people living there for what it's worth. I would probably be annoyed by all the day trippers on the weekends clogging up the roads/bike trails.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM

14 posts, read 17,856 times
Clongirl, good point about the weekend day trippers!

Thanks for your perspective. That's kinda how I'm looking at it about choices of places to hang.
i'm getting so excited at the possibility that my eyes can't absorb all the houses I'm clicking on Redfin!!!

So far, no one has given me a real negative about Contra County...(other than the bridges, but eh..whatcha gonna do??)

Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,893,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Whoever called Contra Costa "conservative" is clueless and is giving you bad info. Look at the facts, Clinton got 68.9% of the vote in Contra Costa County and Trump got only 25.4%.

California 2016 Presidential And State Election Results : NPR
So voting Dem is indicative of being socially liberal? I seem to remember many minority communities, especially black ones, as being opposed to same sex marriage (and voting accordingly).

Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 PM

87,803 posts, read 81,538,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina120 View Post
Clongirl, good point about the weekend day trippers!

Thanks for your perspective. That's kinda how I'm looking at it about choices of places to hang.
i'm getting so excited at the possibility that my eyes can't absorb all the houses I'm clicking on Redfin!!!

So far, no one has given me a real negative about Contra County...(other than the bridges, but eh..whatcha gonna do??)
Well, I'm glad you can afford it out there. I think you'll like it. Scraping the bottom of the barrel for negatives here, I'd only say that it's hot in the summers (compared to cities on the Bay), colder in winters, and in winter there can be ground fog, which is tricky for driving. I hope your car has fog lights.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 17,856 times
"afford" is relative.

it's amazing how "affordable" things look after giving up on the horrific SF market.
I'm talking "Yeah...this property is $1.5 Million....Bernal is HOT right NOW, inventory is LOW/ . I mean, I know it needs a new foundation and all new plumbing...brand new windows, etc etc...but you KNOW someone is going to pay for it and WAIVE inspection!"

So yeah...Contra is downright "cheap"! (I'm obvioulsy not looking at those $2Million homes). Beautiful houses that need NOTHING! LAND and green grass...and privacy...it's like shangri la after we were convincing ourselves that a 1000 sq ft 2 bed condo with a 5 ft balcony was "Enough" .

Old 05-19-2017, 06:25 PM

28,095 posts, read 32,264,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Orinda tends to have a fair number of UC Berkeley faculty, and other liberal types, as well as conservatives. Re: driving that commute, I hope you can vary your work schedule a bit, to avoid the worst of the traffic. The tunnel was widened recently, which relieved some of the congestion, but the real crush is on the approach to the Bay Bridge, and coming home at the end of the day....ugh! You don't want to get stuck in that, approaching and going through the City, fighting your way onto the bridge.

You have been warned.
The lead up to the tunnel is pretty bad during the commute and sucks on the way out in the PM. The BART ends up zipping by. I think that you can't beat Lafayette or Orinda for convenience to other places in a suburban form.

Marin is not easy to get in and out of, and is not well connected when you want to leave.

I'd stick with CoCo Country. And I'd add Dublin and Pleasanton which offer similar benefits and amenities (they are in Alameda County).

FYI: Rockridge = Oakland, it is just a neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM

87,803 posts, read 81,538,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The lead up to the tunnel is pretty bad during the commute and sucks on the way out in the PM. The BART ends up zipping by.
Yup. You'll envy those BART riders, on the days you choose to drive, OP. Unless you can avoid the broadly-defined commute hours. Also, on BART, you don't have to worry about a traffic accident resulting in a closed tunnel lane, and backed-up traffic.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM

18,050 posts, read 5,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
As an ex- San Franciscan we love living out here in Lamorinda. Great for being near all the restaurants, bars, entertainment, shopping etc. without having to live right in it. It's great to have a choice to do either Oakland/Berkeley for a more college/hip feel OR Walnut Creek for more suburban experience without any major parking hassles, etc.

I don't find it conservative here at all--definitely not like it may have been back in the 70's/1980's. More and more City folk have moved this way. In fact, even Danville and Walnut Creek are solid "blue" nowadays. I think all the conservatives are way out in Brentwood/Discovery Bay--farm territory.

Marin...is gorgeous but I think you'd probably find more older, established, less diverse people living there for what it's worth. I would probably be annoyed by all the day trippers on the weekends clogging up the roads/bike trails.
This x 10. I used to live in Mill Valley in a neighborhood where the only way to really get out and get anywhere else was via HWY 1.

IMO, It isn't enough of a deterrent to be a deal breaker, but it is irritating.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 PM

18,050 posts, read 5,050,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Marin is not easy to get in and out of, and is not well connected when you want to leave.
Just my opinion, but I think Marin is prettier...a more physically beautiful area. In the two counties, I've lived in Mill Valley, Lamorinda, and San Ramon.

Quote:
And I'd add Dublin and Pleasanton which offer similar benefits and amenities (they are in Alameda County).
I agree....similar benefits to the 24 corridor/parts of the 680 corridor in Contra Costa County.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 PM

1,777 posts, read 2,928,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina120 View Post
Hi Folks!
I saw that someone had posted this exact topic but the OP needs were different than mine, so I felt I needed to start my own thread.

We've been in SF for nearly 4 years now and after multiple horror stories and considering even my last choice in the world (CONDOS), we've decided that we just cant afford to stay in SF.

We are currently looking at the two counties and would like some advice.

Our needs are: We are a lesbian married couple in our 40s. Schools do not matter. We'd like outdoor space and a backyard. We would like a pool. So the fact that Contra County is warm is actually a good thing.
We like bars and restaurants, but are mostly day drinkers now so just need some solid options. We also like the outdoors, but I think it seems both counties are good for that.

Our take is this: Contra County seems to be best as its located in the center of a lot of hotspots (looking at Orinda). not too far from Piedmont, Oakland or Rockridge. Not too far from Walnut Creek which also have some good restaurants and bars. Also, it does have BART if we'd like to go into SF for a festival or concert or something and remember when we paid exorbitant amounts of money for rent...

We went to Marin County and it seems just sooooooooooo white. Went to San Rafael and the town seemed really sleepy with not many options.
However i recently heard that Marin County is full of liberals and Contra Costa is more conservative.
I may not be ultra liberal, but the the of moving to Trump country makes my skin crawl. Is it conservative like that? Or "conservative for the bay area"?
And should I care if I wont really be interacting much? Since we have no children, it wont be required that we interact and get along with everyone, but you know...sure would be nice!!!! (Imaging 4th of July backyard BBQ parties!)

Also: I work in SSF so...I already know that tunnel is going to be problematic, but how much will this be a problem?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
So why not piedmont,rockridge,Adams point,lakeshore,montclair,Berkeley etc. your commute would be more reasonable and these are desirable urban walkable areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland