Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 6,144 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We're in the process of moving out of a house in the peninsula, and it will take several months to clean everything up. We'll probably be coming by on the weekends, and otherwise it will be vacant. It's worth noting that this is a nice area, but the house is up a long driveway and not visible from the street, and has a massive hilly backyard (unusual for that area).

Any ideas on avoiding break-ins?

Is it worth keeping our beater car for a while longer and parking it in the carport (obviously no garage) and registering it as a non-op? We had a few teenage idiots break in before while we were out (hardly anything stolen thankfully), and I suspect the missing car set them off. Are cameras a good idea?

Also on that note... what will registering non-op cost me in insurance? Will not running the car for that long harm it, or is starting and idling it on the driveway every now and then enough? (I can disconnect the battery.) It it easy to undo when I do sell the car?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM

308 posts, read 467,321 times
I would suggest that you stop the mail, keep the landscaping going and use devices to mimic people at home. You can get an LED light that simulates changing images of a TV. Have a radio (news/talking format) that comes on periodically via a timer, and of course, lights that come off and on. See if you can get a neighbor to stop in periodically. Check with you insurance company on rates. It should be less.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
Check with you insurance company on rates. It should be less.
Do not tell the insurance company the house is vacant!!! It becomes uninsurable! Also its not really completely vacant since you will be there on some weekends.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:21 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
AfaIk a non op vehicle will not require insurance, becasue it is not to be moved (hence non op) but check with dmv.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Buy some ARLO Cameras from Amazon or Best Buy. No wires, very easy to setup, all you need is wifi. Stick a couple no trespassing and 24 video surveillance signs up. That's your best bet, if the camera(s) detect anything, they will record to cloud and send you a text alert, so you can see what's going on in real time. The Arlo Pro also records sound and you can talk through it or turn on an emergency siren, which is painfully loud.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
I would suggest that you stop the mail, keep the landscaping going and use devices to mimic people at home. You can get an LED light that simulates changing images of a TV. Have a radio (news/talking format) that comes on periodically via a timer, and of course, lights that come off and on. See if you can get a neighbor to stop in periodically. Check with you insurance company on rates. It should be less.
This is what I recommend as well. My parents bought a new house awhile back, and the old one is in a "country" area that they will be using as a getaway home (it's near a river, great fishing). They bought the LED lights that can mimic things, like this poster said. Never had any problems while it was vacant (for about 2 months).

Now they have stuff there and it's a rental on VRBO as well. But during the vacant period, all was well. Then again, it wasn't in California, and was a nice country area outside a nice small town

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM

7 posts, read 6,144 times
OK, I'll look into the ARLO cameras. Will require us to keep internet around though. (Alternatively, recording to an SD card would be OK with me, so long as there's a backup that's not in the camera itself - in case they steal that.)

For what it's worth, we've always kept a talk radio going near the front of the house when we're gone. Didn't work, we came up the driveway, heard it louder than usual, and realized the front door had been broken open (the deadbolt wasn't anchored as well as we thought). We're mostly home, the one hour we left and had no car parked there...

The more I look into non-op, the more this doesn't make any sense - sounds like I have to do it for the entire reg year. CA's normal reg fee isn't that much. Will have to see what my insurance charges if we're not driving it/doing minimal mileage as a spare car (it's already liability only).

Is paying for a security system and monitoring worth it? Or is throwing up some signs, and an alarm panel visible near the front door, good enough? The thieves in this area aren't exactly bright...

Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM

308 posts, read 467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Do not tell the insurance company the house is vacant!!! It becomes uninsurable! Also its not really completely vacant since you will be there on some weekends.
You are correct, vacant houses could lead to insurance problems. Although, the OP and I are talking about reducing coverage on a *vehicle* as inoperable- something I do regularly for a car that I store.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:

Wrong!

Insurance rates go UP for unoccupied property! Usually you have a 60-day period before you have to notify the insurance, I suppose that's for vacations, etc. I've found its NEVER a good idea to call insurance to ask for advice. Find out some other way.....like read your policy!

Also, its NOT considered a good idea to stop the mail. Of course, you don't want mail piling up, that's a sure sign of vacancy. However, if someone is watching your place, and sounds like they might, due to previous break-ins, it would be a dead give-away if the mailman passes by your house on a regular basis. Best if you can to get someone to come by and pick up the mail. Try a house-sitter, or just someone to come by on a regular basis, bring in mail, put out trash on trash day, change lights, rotate cars in driveway, etc.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:58 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Yeah, actually a lot of insurance companies won't insure a vacant house... you usually need to pay a month to month policy which is more costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland