Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM

572 posts, read 592,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
You want urban? We got it! You want suburban? We got it! You want rural? We got it! You want coastal? We got it! You want forests? We got it! You want mountains? We got it! You want cool summers? We got it! You want warm summer? We got it! You want diversity? We got it! Not many regions are so blessed. If only we could figure out the housing situation...

Yes, the bay does have flaws, but if you can afford to live here, why wouldn't you? You have conservatives here that absolutely detest liberals, but they deal with it because they know no other region truly has it all like we do!

Say what you want, but it's true.
Agree that the bay area is an awesome place and I loved my years there. My hesitancy with living there if I could afford it would be dealing with all the other people living there and participating in all the activities I like to do. The crowds!! You want to go to the beach on a warm weekend? Have fun trying to get there on a Saturday afternoon. You want to go on a hike? Join everyone else heading over to Marin on a beautiful spring Sunday. A winter weekend in nearby Tahoe? We'll get a jump on the traffic and leave Friday lunch time...

If you are not tied to a bay area location for work and Monday - Friday work schedule to make your money to then fine. But then that leaves you a huge amount of other options for places to live also. If you mostly like the city life with a little bit of outdoor stuff sprinkled in then it's tough to beat the bay area. If you don't like crowded then maybe you wouldn't live there even if you could afford it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
I agree, the San Francisco Bay Area is a really unique place from redwood forests, tundra, beaches, mountains, hills, cities, ocean, etc... it has a lot of cool little towns and awesome hiking areas too. I've moved a lot in my life, so while I find it a good thing to have many experiences, it also has made it hard for me to settle in one place or not get bored after a couple years. The San Francisco Bay Area will always have a warm spot in my heart and I have tons of great memories too. That's why I don't get when people think if you move out of a city it's because you couldn't afford it or you're a failure or you view it as being dumped or some other childish reason. I sometimes envy people who can live in one spot and never get bored or feel the desire to try somewhere else. I'll move somewhere and be in love, but then a couple years later I'm ready to move again lol. It doesn't mean I now hate that place, it's just a matter of getting bored, and then all the cons become very visible and over powers the pros.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 PM

351 posts, read 338,935 times
Why are there so many threads like this all the time. If you love the Bay Area, stop being so insecure in defending it all the time and enjoy it

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM

32,844 posts, read 12,107,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't get when people think if you move out of a city it's because you couldn't afford it or you're a failure or you view it as being dumped or some other childish reason.
I don't get it either. It ignores the fact that there are people who can obviously afford to live anywhere, who have made other choices.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:52 PM

32,844 posts, read 12,107,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Why are there so many threads like this all the time. If you love the Bay Area, stop being so insecure in defending it all the time and enjoy it
I pointed this out on another thread. At least one person agreed with me, but at least one other was very defensive.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,239,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Mmm, yes, my thought exactly. Do we really need more of these threads that devolve into endless bickering over he said she said?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM

3,814 posts, read 3,976,497 times
Quote:
I have nothing against SoCal. We get it, you moved there. I'm glad you enjoy it. lol

LA sucks, but San Diego is awesome.
If the bay has it all, where are the good beaches to swim with out a wet suit?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
And what beaches have water warm enough to swim in???
Cabo.

But seriously, us cold water open water types can deal with Alta California waters.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree, the San Francisco Bay Area is a really unique place from redwood forests, tundra, beaches, mountains, hills, cities, ocean, etc... it has a lot of cool little towns and awesome hiking areas too. I've moved a lot in my life, so while I find it a good thing to have many experiences, it also has made it hard for me to settle in one place or not get bored after a couple years. The San Francisco Bay Area will always have a warm spot in my heart and I have tons of great memories too. That's why I don't get when people think if you move out of a city it's because you couldn't afford it or you're a failure or you view it as being dumped or some other childish reason. I sometimes envy people who can live in one spot and never get bored or feel the desire to try somewhere else. I'll move somewhere and be in love, but then a couple years later I'm ready to move again lol. It doesn't mean I now hate that place, it's just a matter of getting bored, and then all the cons become very visible and over powers the pros.
Tundra?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:41 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
I have nothing against SoCal. We get it, you moved there. I'm glad you enjoy it. lol

LA sucks, but San Diego is awesome.
I'm the opposite of you in this case.

I think L.A. is great, despite its many pronounced flaws. It's basically a more "horizontal" New York, of sorts, with less attitude (there's still plenty of 'tude, though, don't get me wrong) and even more dynamic urban transformations currently taking place, IMO.

By contrast, I thought San Diego was boring and sterile, and San Diegans were surprisingly hostile and hateful (like, NYC- or Miami-level hostile and hateful). I like Balboa Park and the USS Midway, but that's about all the use I have for "Bland Diego."

As a side note, I actually think the Bay Area has more in common with L.A. than with any other metro area in the world. The modern Bay Area is basically what happens when L.A. and Seattle have a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland