U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 AM
 
650 posts, read 784,774 times
Reputation: 254

Advertisements

Hello. I'm going to be in San Franciso on Thur. and Fri. the 15th and 16th. I'm probably going to bike around the city during the day and hit a restaurant at night. On Sat., I would like to rise early and hit a trail before driving back to Sac. I am looking for a solid 6-12 mile trail that offers beautiful scenery. Although difficulty is not an object, I am looking for a day hike as opposed to a real mountain climb. The trail must be in the Bay Area as this is my trip to "San Francisco."

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Reputation: 35196
I enjoyed hiking around Angel Island, which also involves a ferry ride from either Tiburon or SF:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=468

Nice views, interesting history, and not an extreme hike as far as terrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 AM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,129,272 times
Reputation: 10910
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Hello. I'm going to be in San Franciso on Thur. and Fri. the 15th and 16th. I'm probably going to bike around the city during the day and hit a restaurant at night. On Sat., I would like to rise early and hit a trail before driving back to Sac. I am looking for a solid 6-12 mile trail that offers beautiful scenery. Although difficulty is not an object, I am looking for a day hike as opposed to a real mountain climb. The trail must be in the Bay Area as this is my trip to "San Francisco."

Thanks for the tips.
https://www.openspace.org/

https://www.nps.gov/goga/index.htm

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=471

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=539

And this is only scratching the surface ...

More to be found Googling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 11:43 AM
 
10,930 posts, read 5,034,203 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are simple too many places to go and hike in the general Bay Area to pick just "one" trail/hike. In fact, many of the most popular ones are, in my opinion, not that great (comparatively).


In addition to the links above, check out:
Bay Area Hiker: Home page

East Bay Regional Park District | Embrace Life! (although, it being June, the East Bay parks can often get a bit hot for my tastes).

Big Basin Redwoods SP

https://www.nps.gov/pore/index.htm



It's best to try to narrow down by:
  • distance you're willing to drive (from SF, you can find great hiking within SF itself - or you can drive up to 1 1/2 hours to find great hiking)
  • the type of scenery you're after (ocean views, forest views, bay views, some mixture of all, etc.)
  • the type of weather you'd like to be in (in the summer, the coastal areas can be cool and often windy/foggy - where as inland areas can be dry, (sometimes very) hot, and sunny)


Parameterizing those things will definitely help whittle down the options - and I'm sure people could offer some specific hikes with a more narrow scope.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 06-07-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Hello. I'm going to be in San Franciso on Thur. and Fri. the 15th and 16th. I'm probably going to bike around the city during the day and hit a restaurant at night. On Sat., I would like to rise early and hit a trail before driving back to Sac. I am looking for a solid 6-12 mile trail that offers beautiful scenery. Although difficulty is not an object, I am looking for a day hike as opposed to a real mountain climb. The trail must be in the Bay Area as this is my trip to "San Francisco."

Thanks for the tips.
Dip Sea trail gets my vote
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...-stinson-beach

Great scenery, decent difficulty & length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 02:14 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Reputation: 76494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Dip Sea trail gets my vote
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...-stinson-beach

Great scenery, decent difficulty & length.
OP, if you do this hike, you can leave your car at Muir Woods, and take the bus back from Stinson Beach. Check Golden Gate Transit for schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
Reputation: 2300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if you do this hike, you can leave your car at Muir Woods, and take the bus back from Stinson Beach. Check Golden Gate Transit for schedules.
That's a good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
631 posts, read 671,048 times
Reputation: 1214
Berry Creek Falls loop in Big Basin if you want to experience a stunning redwood forest. California's very first state park.

The Berry Creek Loop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Reputation: 76494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Berry Creek Falls loop in Big Basin if you want to experience a stunning redwood forest. California's very first state park.

The Berry Creek Loop
This is a good one, too. It's a good time to hike waterfall trails, as it's early enough in the season for there to be plenty of water, and the rains that broke the drought have really helped. Big Basin is huge. Muir Woods, fyi OP, is also a redwood park, but Big Basin is bigger and better. You could spend a week there, exploring it. Lots of trails, including a trail all the way down to the beach. The drive down from SF will take some time, but it's very scenic if you stick to the coast.

Hmm.... you just might have to make a return trip to the SF area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 PM
 
10,930 posts, read 5,034,203 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good one, too. It's a good time to hike waterfall trails, as it's early enough in the season for there to be plenty of water, and the rains that broke the drought have really helped. Big Basin is huge. Muir Woods, fyi OP, is also a redwood park, but Big Basin is bigger and better. You could spend a week there, exploring it. Lots of trails, including a trail all the way down to the beach. The drive down from SF will take some time, but it's very scenic if you stick to the coast.

Hmm.... you just might have to make a return trip to the SF area!
This is the rabbit hole that is hiking in CA. There are simply so many options, it's hard to narrow down without more specific details.

I could probably list my top 10-15 hikes in the area, but I would like some feedback from the OP first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top