Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I cant imagine why anyone would look down their nose at these seniors. Especially with the rip off cost of living in the Bay Area. Most senior housing is 30% of ones income. Let's face facts these people are elderly. They do not work and live off retirement income. Not everyone can own and maintain a home in Senior years. So they go in apts. Sadly they are priced out of market rate apts. So what else can they do but live in the type apts mentioned.

The problem lies with the outrageous cost of housing and medical cost in this country. It is not these seniors that are the problem. They are the victims of the reasons I mentioned. I can just imagine the huge monthly medical bills, some of these seniors may have. How the hell could they pay market rate rents there.
They could...move, like so many other seniors do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:17 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Now you are being silly...if you are poor enough that you will wait all night outside to get subsidized housing,
you probably don't have the money or the means to move very far.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:31 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,720,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I cant imagine why anyone would look down their nose at these seniors. Especially with the rip off cost of living in the Bay Area. Most senior housing is 30% of ones income. Let's face facts these people are elderly. They do not work and live off retirement income. Not everyone can own and maintain a home in Senior years. So they go in apts. Sadly they are priced out of market rate apts. So what else can they do but live in the type apts mentioned.

The problem lies with the outrageous cost of housing and medical cost in this country. It is not these seniors that are the problem. They are the victims of the reasons I mentioned. I can just imagine the huge monthly medical bills, some of these seniors may have. How the hell could they pay market rate rents there.
Because they could have bought houses back when they were extremely cheap but chose not to.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:31 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Maybe they are from the area, and any family they have left in the world is there. That would be my guess.

I'm having difficulty figuring out why you are so cold, disrespectful to these elders.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm sure plenty of people simply take things for granted when it's just handed to them. And it it becomes somewhat of or a entitlement. The poor are no different than the rich. A poor person having subsidized rent will pretty much do everything they can to keep that entitlement. I still am dumbfounded at the excess and waste that goes on

Yeah well it doesn't work that way.

Saving for a down is no different today as it was back then. Still requires saving.

It's not hard to save 4-5% to get a loan but people still can't do it.
I have about 146k at 25 and have 0 hope of ever being a homeowner.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:40 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
[quote=Perma Bear;48469844]Because they could have bought houses back when they were extremely cheap but chose not to.[/QUO

I've already had my fill of this particular thread. Some of you on here have some real problems. I wouldn't waste my time in person, with people that make such thoughtless comments. I'll be damned if I will on CD.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I have about 146k at 25 and have 0 hope of ever being a homeowner.
Maybe you can't buy a house in San Francisco for that but it would make a nice down payment on a house in a number of other areas. You should quit feeling so sorry for yourself.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM

[quote=Jimrob1;48469920]
Quote:
Because they could have bought houses back when they were extremely cheap but chose not to.[/QUO

I've already had my fill of this particular thread. Some of you on here have some real problems. I wouldn't waste my time in person, with people that make such thoughtless comments. I'll be damned if I will on CD.
If I was their age with an inflation adjusted net worth it would be about 17,174 in 1958. A brand new ranch home would be 10k new. I could literally buy 2 of them with a 50% downpayment. They had literally no excuse.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe you can't buy a house in San Francisco for that but it would make a nice down payment on a house in a number of other areas. You should quit feeling so sorry for yourself.
Other areas as in? Pray tell where? Doesn't do me much good if I can't qualify for the mortgage (only made 58k last year) or if it's a thousand miles away.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Other areas as in? Pray tell where? Doesn't do me much good if I can't qualify for the mortgage (only made 58k last year) or if it's a thousand miles away.
How would I know, I don't know where you live now, or where you work, but what I do know is that this constant whining is not contributing much to these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland