U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Status: "The Jesus of the Sacramento Forum" (set 26 days ago)

3,704 posts, read 2,766,220 times

Advertisements

No.

There is nothing there to lure the creative class.

What is more likely is that middle clasd asians will displace working class hispanics. Similar to what is happening in San Lrwndro.

Though I would not count on even that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 PM

80 posts, read 69,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Whole foods is planning a new store on foothill.
Thanks for the information. And usually once Whole Food moves in to the area, other stores will follow.

The famous 'Whole Food Effect.'

Does the New Whole Foods in Your Neighborhood Increase Your Home Value? | US News Real Estate

Quote:
Whole Food Effect: A 2015 study by the real estate information company RealtyTrac analyzed this trend. The study included 4 million homes located in a ZIP code with either a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s location, finding that average property values in a ZIP code with Trader Joe’s appreciated by about 40 percent since they were purchased, while homes with a Whole Foods in the ZIP code appreciated by nearly 34 percent, which matches the national average increase according to the survey.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,622,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I can't find any information on this project, I tried looking it up when you first mentioned it a few weeks back. I knew BART was doing a modernization project at the El Cerrito Del Norte station, the next stop down, and other stations but never heard anything about Richmond.

https://www.bart.gov/about/planning/station
Yeah it's Richmond Station, Nevin Ave I believe. I've been there multiple times over the past couple months to "check in" on the progress (part of my job).

Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 AM

212 posts, read 180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I think Richmond would gentrify before Hayward. Berkeley is already putting in the works for a BART extension to Richmond. I've never looked into property in Richmond (honestly, why would I) but that could be worth a look?
I've always thought that the whole area north of Oakland/Berkley such as Richmond, El Cerrito, and San Pablo would be the next area to gentrify due to their relatively central location, as well as their access to public transportation (minus San Pablo), and beautiful views of the City.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:11 AM

491 posts, read 442,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
I've always thought that the whole area north of Oakland/Berkley such as Richmond, El Cerrito, and San Pablo would be the next area to gentrify due to their relatively central location, as well as their access to public transportation (minus San Pablo), and beautiful views of the City.
El Cerrito is already well along on the road to gentrification, although it was never a poor area. Those cities have pretty good weather too.

I think the biggest thing holding West Contra Costa back from more gentrification is that unlike Hayward, for example, you can't realistically commute to the South Bay or Peninsula.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM

212 posts, read 180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
El Cerrito is already well along on the road to gentrification, although it was never a poor area. Those cities have pretty good weather too.

I think the biggest thing holding West Contra Costa back from more gentrification is that unlike Hayward, for example, you can't realistically commute to the South Bay or Peninsula.
I would agree. I certainly would not want to commute that far. However, I knew a guy who used to work in Newark, and he would commute from Folsom everyday. I guess it just depends on the person and what they're willing to do...

Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,884,423 times
Yeah, but it's still Hayward.

I thought the only people who voluntarily live in Hayward are in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,884,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netaxcat View Post
Thanks for the information. And usually once Whole Food moves in to the area, other stores will follow.

The famous 'Whole Food Effect.'

Does the New Whole Foods in Your Neighborhood Increase Your Home Value? | US News Real Estate
There *is* a substantive problem to having a Whole Foods in the neighborhood. You'll have to replace that aging Clinton/Kaine bumper sticker on your Prius with a Trump bumper sticker just to be able to distinguish *your* Prius from all the others in the parking lot.

And, putting a Trump bumper sticker on your Prius will, of course, void the warranty.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 PM

80 posts, read 69,446 times
The Hayward Hills is a hidden gem with sweeping view to the San Francisco bay, and nice bay weather.

And nowadays, with more folks (mostly from Peninsula, Palo Alto, and Tri-Valley) discovered it, the real estate price at Hayward Hills has been getting higher and higher.

I live in the Stonebrae County Club, Hayward Hills. It is is a private PGA-Tour 18-holes golf course. The last new house built on my street was just sold for almost $2M, and there was a waiting list.

TPC Stonebrae

Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM

522 posts, read 508,254 times
Hayward, Vallejo, Richmond and East Palo Alto are all gentrifying. The only city in the Bay that seems to be getting poorer is Antioch, and that's on the outskirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland