U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 01:30 AM

480 posts, read 155,853 times

Advertisements

I feel Oakland has a bad wrap. People associate it with cities like Detroit. But I drive around the East Bay sometimes and I must say that Oakland does have some really nice areas. Lake Merrit is really nice. The Oakland Hills have some of the best views, I must say, being the stairway guru that I am. I have visited stairways and paths in Rockridge, Merriewood, and even Montclair Village. The views and the neighborhoods are spectacular to say the least.

Too bad the city is about to lose 2 of it's long time sports teams. I hope that the A's stay and find a great place in Oakland.

My buddy did say though that Oakland has improved over the years.

But sometimes I go to Oakland and I think that it's such a great area with great potential. Not too far from Berkley either. I'm not sure why it can't be a world class city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 AM

4,326 posts, read 2,799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I feel Oakland has a bad wrap. People associate it with cities like Detroit. But I drive around the East Bay sometimes and I must say that Oakland does have some really nice areas. Lake Merrit is really nice. The Oakland Hills have some of the best views, I must say, being the stairway guru that I am. I have visited stairways and paths in Rockridge, Merriewood, and even Montclair Village. The views and the neighborhoods are spectacular to say the least.

Too bad the city is about to lose 2 of it's long time sports teams. I hope that the A's stay and find a great place in Oakland.

But sometimes I go to Oakland and I think that it's such a great area with great potential. Not too far from Berkley either. I'm not sure why it can't be a world class city.
The prices are world class.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 AM
Status: "The Jesus of the Sacramento Forum" (set 28 days ago)

3,704 posts, read 2,767,084 times
Quote:

Oakland and Detroit are not similar at all.

90% of Detroit is a war zone, with very few whites living there.

Thr Oakland Hills have been white collar whites since the Second World War.

Uptown, Lake Merit are hardcore gentrified. North Oakland and West Oakland are gentrifying hardcore.

If you took out East Oakland, the city would be dramatically safer. But as east Oakland becomes more of a barrio, crime stats will go down. People in the barrio mostly work, instead of being entitled to a hand out for everything from bus fare to a monthly check.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,402,697 times
Better leadership, more investment in physical infrastructure, and becoming hard-as$es about public safety are what Oakland has sorely needed for the last four decades or so, and continues to sorely need. For starters, more foresightful and less save-the-Earth-hippy-dippy-lah-dee-dah leadership might have been able to retain the Raiders (too late) and Warriors (they're moving soon) otherwise for the city, and wouldn't be at risk of losing the A's next for the city

And, I say this as someone who actually likes Oakland. Frankly, I also think that improving Oakland will necessitate some organically-developed...demographic shifts, like what has happened in cities such as SF, NYC, Atlanta, parts of Houston, and parts of L.A.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 AM

4,928 posts, read 6,469,446 times
Quote:

It continues to have a bad "wrap" because people who don't live there or spend much time there continue to be baffled at how nice it actually is and post about it on the internet when they see it for themselves.

Oakland doesn't have 'potential'- it's already arrived as a highly desirable place to live, work, and spend time in the Bay Area. This all happened at least 3-5 years ago, although the seeds were planted long before that. Yeah East Oakland is still a mess, but that's because there's no BART station or trendy strip of bars and restaurants- yet.

Oakland isn't a 'secret' or 'up and coming' anymore. If you don't believe me, just look at the rents and real estate prices in the trendy or desirable areas.

If you still don't believe me, go ahead and dig through my posts from 2010-2012 when I was living in West Oakland and watching my neighborhood gentrify right before my eyes.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 AM

296 posts, read 194,000 times
was in Oakland Chinatown 2 weeks ago and saw an old Chinese lady get punched by a guy in broad daylight for no reason

Old 06-26-2017, 02:28 PM

411 posts, read 623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Oakland and Detroit are not similar at all.

90% of Detroit is a war zone, with very few whites living there.

Thr Oakland Hills have been white collar whites since the Second World War.

Uptown, Lake Merit are hardcore gentrified. North Oakland and West Oakland are gentrifying hardcore.

If you took out East Oakland, the city would be dramatically safer. But as east Oakland becomes more of a barrio, crime stats will go down. People in the barrio mostly work, instead of being entitled to a hand out for everything from bus fare to a monthly check.
West Oakland is gentrifying, but it still looks like a dump to anyone who hasn't been there years before. It also seems like a ways off (i.e., at least 10 years) from changing significantly to becoming a desirable place to live. It needs to add a few thousand units of market rate housing and a lot of retail/commerce to change.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:24 PM

4,928 posts, read 6,469,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
was in Oakland Chinatown 2 weeks ago and saw an old Chinese lady get punched by a guy in broad daylight for no reason
Interesting story. I was in San Francisco the other day right and a crack head homeless lady offered sexual favors in exchange for drugs and the she exposed herself before running down the street. There goes the neighborhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
West Oakland is gentrifying, but it still looks like a dump to anyone who hasn't been there years before. It also seems like a ways off (i.e., at least 10 years) from changing significantly to becoming a desirable place to live. It needs to add a few thousand units of market rate housing and a lot of retail/commerce to change.
West Oakland is 1/5 of the city of Oakland, so blanket statements like these aren't super helpful (people forget that Jack London is the same zip code as some of the poorest parts of West Oakland). It's definitely a block by block basis, where some parts (particularly around the Market/Grand/San Pablo triangle) are hot beds for open air drug dealing and prostitution, while some parts of the Lower Bottoms these days have beautifully restored Edwardians and Victorians and looked horrible just a few years ago.

Gentrification actually takes some time, you know. There will be another Starbucks along shortly, so don't worry.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:59 PM

296 posts, read 194,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Interesting story. I was in San Francisco the other day right and a crack head homeless lady offered sexual favors in exchange for drugs and the she exposed herself before running down the street. There goes the neighborhood!

No one got hurt and you saw a naked lady. Sounds pretty great to me.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,623,343 times
With all the "techies" looking for places to live, Oakland pretty much has to clean up and make room for these people. It will become yet another "hipster" city and the prices are already well on the rise for this. It has definitely come a long way

That being said, paying $3000 in Oakland for a place to live...Count me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland