Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 PM

39 posts, read 39,911 times

Advertisements

Greetings amigos,

Going to San Fran next week for work, arriving Monday at 3pm, I'm part of the rat race aka 8:30am-5pm work day. Will be staying near Chinatown, at the Omni to be exact on 500 California St, San Francisco, CA 94104

I think I have breakfast covered but where to go for LUNCH and DINNER?

San Diego is known for its CARNE ASADA FRIES, would love to try em, is there any of that here?
Or What is San Fran known for?

I love to eat a "real" Korean restaurant but Pixar's Big Hero 6 tells me that San Fran is more Japan than Korean?

Golden Gate bridge is a must but is there any way to walk across it and then somehow rent a bike back?

Feel free to help me plan out my day.. again looking for some Korean food, anything with PORK BELLY really, and places to check out besides the Bridge and Chinatown(or what specific to look for in Chinatown).

Any and all input is appreciated!

lets do this team!

oNe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 02:53 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
You can't walk across the Golden Gate Bridge and rent a bike for the return trip. You can see everything by just walking halfway across the bridge and walking back.

Chinatown has lots of Chinese restaurants, Fisherman's Wharf has lots of seafood restaurants and North Beach has Italian restaurants. There's a little bit of everything else around town.

If this is your first trip to SF, visit Fisherman's Wharf San Fancisco and www.pier39.com

Bring a jacket. It gets cool and windy in the summer.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Try a "Mission-style" burrito, at a taqueria in the Mission District.

La Taqueria is recommended:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-taqueria...=Best+Taqueria

Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
While Chinatown and the Wharf are cool to walk through and appreciate the spectacles that they are, much better food can be found elsewhere since both those neighborhoods serve overpriced food catered to tourists.

I'm surprised nobody has said it yet, but calling SF "San Fran" will encounter the wrath and ire of many. Well, at least on the internet...

Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,048 times
Food-wise, here are some thoughts. For Korean I would go to Japantown. A couple of solid, if unspectacular restaurants I found there next to each other, are Ssisso and Doobu. For a quick pork belly fix not far from your hotel I would suggest The Ramen Bar in 101 California. In Chinatown, make sure you get off Grant street. It is nice, but far more touristy than others. I like real shops on Sutter and little alleys, like Waverly place. Check out the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory. OK, calling it a factory is a bit too grand for this little place, but it's interesting.
Places to check out:
- Ferry Building, walk along the water in either direction
- Nob Hill (Cable Car Museum, Grace Cathedral/Huntington Park)
- Mission (Dolores Park, the Mission itself, Valencia st.)
- Aquatic park/Ghirardelli Square/Russian Hill
- Twin Peaks
- Lands End (Sutro Baths)
- Golden Gate Park

That should more than fill the time you are here.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
I think all of these ideas are great. Of course places like Fisherman's Wharf are super touristy, and you definitely won't find the best food or culture there, but they do have beautiful views and atmosphere that are not to be missed as a visitor. I second the Mission Burrito suggestion. The Mission Burrito is legendary, and there are dozens of independent taquerias, each with its flair, and of course the entire concept of Chipotle is based on the Mission Burrito, which is now become the Nationwide standard for burritos! Carne asada french fries are definitely a San Diego thing, and funny enough, although I have lived on and off in San Diego for years, I've never tried it! I understand there are places where you can get them around San Francisco and the bay area, but I don't think there as ubiquitous as in San Diego. Honestly, carne asada fries are total Gringo food anyway. Nobody in Mexico eats that. So stick with the local stuff like Mission burritos, and of course sourdough bread and crab!

Old 07-18-2017, 02:59 PM

126 posts, read 123,545 times
there's only one sourdough bread, Boudin. All the others are imposters

Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Try a "Mission-style" burrito, at a taqueria in the Mission District.

La Taqueria is recommended:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-taqueria...=Best+Taqueria
El Faro is the better choice. 2399 Folsom Street. Best burrito in the Bay Area.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I always recommend visiting the SF Cable Car Museum: San Francisco Cable Car Museum

Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM

39 posts, read 39,911 times
thank you all.. took all your suggestions and did it all..

man I ate too good...

GOING VEGATARIAN starting manana...

Mission was crazy, lot of Aztec ARTIStry, murals and graff everywhere and not the gang bangers stuff either but that ART caliber level... WHy so much of that in this neighborhood, is it just all the Mexicans or what?

Again.... maaaaaaaaaaaan too many good eats, and too much carne.. body needs a break!

thanks again all,

Sean P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland