U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM
 
173 posts, read 110,030 times
Reputation: 422

Advertisements

Hi all, I have been looking through these forums and threads on Pittsburg and Bay Point. They are dated almost up to 10 years old. How are those cities? Are they like Concord? I am moving away from Fremont / Newark / Union City area in the next 45 days and would like to live up in Contra Costa county. Have those neighborhoods changed (for the better?) in the last 7 - 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:32 PM
 
Location: I is where I is
2,097 posts, read 1,525,383 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
Hi all, I have been looking through these forums and threads on Pittsburg and Bay Point. They are dated almost up to 10 years old. How are those cities? Are they like Concord? I am moving away from Fremont / Newark / Union City area in the next 45 days and would like to live up in Contra Costa county. Have those neighborhoods changed (for the better?) in the last 7 - 10 years?
Overall, Pittsburg, Antioch & Bay Point (all basically in the same little area) are less than desirable and have a very high crime rate. Gang issues are all around those areas, and a lot of people who got pushed from Oakland & Richmond ended up there

While Pittsburg does have some decent neighborhoods, I wouldn't live there personally. Plus Highway 4 is just plain awful

Concord is on the "good side" of the hills. There are some decent neighborhoods, and the commute would be be better (depending where you are coming from/to I guess). Concord still does have some rough areas though, but do your research and you'll be good, avoid Detroit Ave/Monument Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,300 times
Reputation: 27
I have lived in Pittsburg for about two and a half years. So while I can't comment on the 7 to 10 year change, I do know that the attitude and opinion most people have about Pittsburg doesn't accurately reflect my experience living there.

I bought a house in an older neighborhood south of the 4 (generally considered the "safer" side) and have lived there alone as a female without a single issue related to crime whatsoever. I feel safe outside in my neighborhood at night. I go jogging alone at all hours of the day and evening.

I love the weather there, although the heat isn't for everyone.

I'd say the two main negatives are lack of options for going out for dinner if you want something healthy, and the terrible ratings of the schools which hold property values down.

Traffic from Pittsburg toward the city is horrible of course, but I use Bart so it doesn't affect me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
521 posts, read 479,662 times
Reputation: 608
Bay Point has changed very little. It's still a low income area that is devoid really anything to do. The biggest sell in terms of Bay Point is the fact that it has a BART station. Pittsburg isn't a bad city, it's diverse, there are few rough pockets to avoid, but mostly it's just an average East Bay town and it's been that way for a long time. Concord is the city that seems poised to change the most. The city is majority Hispanic, and is diversifying further. The downtown is getting very built up and nice, a yuppie crowd is starting to move in near Todos Santos and the BART station. The Concord Naval Weapons station is being redeveloped and is poised to bring 35,000 new residents to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,929 posts, read 7,739,767 times
Reputation: 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Bay Point has changed very little. It's still a low income area that is devoid really anything to do. The biggest sell in terms of Bay Point is the fact that it has a BART station. Pittsburg isn't a bad city, it's diverse, there are few rough pockets to avoid, but mostly it's just an average East Bay town and it's been that way for a long time. Concord is the city that seems poised to change the most. The city is majority Hispanic, and is diversifying further. The downtown is getting very built up and nice, a yuppie crowd is starting to move in near Todos Santos and the BART station. The Concord Naval Weapons station is being redeveloped and is poised to bring 35,000 new residents to the city.
FYI--Concord is around 63% white, 33% Hispanic, 11% Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 AM
 
958 posts, read 798,744 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessa82 View Post
I have lived in Pittsburg for about two and a half years. So while I can't comment on the 7 to 10 year change, I do know that the attitude and opinion most people have about Pittsburg doesn't accurately reflect my experience living there.

I bought a house in an older neighborhood south of the 4 (generally considered the "safer" side) and have lived there alone as a female without a single issue related to crime whatsoever. I feel safe outside in my neighborhood at night. I go jogging alone at all hours of the day and evening.

I love the weather there, although the heat isn't for everyone.

I'd say the two main negatives are lack of options for going out for dinner if you want something healthy, and the terrible ratings of the schools which hold property values down.

Traffic from Pittsburg toward the city is horrible of course, but I use Bart so it doesn't affect me.
The stats would agree with you. Pittsburg has much lower crime rates than antioch, but ten gets lumped in with antioch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM
 
231 posts, read 205,515 times
Reputation: 232
Isn't the bart station crazy? Unless you are getting dropped off there or drive super early you won't find parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 AM
 
173 posts, read 110,030 times
Reputation: 422
Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top