Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Where did you go? I lived in SF up until 2016 and have gone back three times since, I've been going to NYC every year for the past 3, last being this year. Never once did I find it even close to SF's level of trash. Every time I go, I think wow this is a world class city. In SF, it's this place has so much potential if they just cleaned it up.
Manhattan and Brooklyn like most tourists. There is litter everywhere and most of the subway stations are filthy. Yeah a city that throws bags of trash on the street every night and has numerous trash fires daily on its subway system is cleaner than a city that doesn't....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Manhattan and Brooklyn like most tourists. There is litter everywhere and most of the subway stations are filthy. Yeah a city that throws bags of trash on the street every night and has numerous trash fires daily on its subway system is cleaner than a city that doesn't....
Trash bags on the sidewalk to be picked up by garbage collectors is good, much better than SF where it's just thrown onto the streets and sidewalks with no bag. I've never had visitors in SF who didn't mention the aggressive homeless population, the smell of urine or the amount of litter in the streets.

NYC even with Blasio, still has a much stricter culture on littering, crazed homeless people etc.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Trash bags on the sidewalk to be picked up by garbage collectors is good, much better than SF where it's just thrown onto the streets and sidewalks with no bag. I've never had visitors in SF who didn't mention the aggressive homeless population, the smell of urine or the amount of litter in the streets.

NYC even with Blasio, still has a much stricter culture on littering, crazed homeless people etc.
Right because it's not like that can't be easily torn and eaten through by rats. SF has trash BINS like the rest of the developed world.

Not sure why you're bringing up homeless people, I was specifically talking about trash and litter. Getting desperate I see...

Old 08-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Such a clean city.....

Subway Track Fire Sends 9 to Hospital and Snarls Morning Commute
Quote:
Nine people were transported to hospitals to be examined, fire officials said. The fire was reportedly caused by trash on the tracks, fire officials said, and it was under control by about 9:15 a.m.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:49 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Right, dont forget about feral bobcats too!

Because a large portion of the litter, stank etc come from the homeless population in SF that is basically allowd to do whatever they want... be drunk in public, be high in public, poop in public etc.

Once again, travel more, it might open your eyes

Old 08-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Be careful when you're traveling in NYC so you don't end up in the hospital from a subway trash fire like the 9 other people a few weeks ago....

Old 08-03-2017, 03:40 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
It's pretty clear that BMW and others lump garbage and "undersirables" together as if they're the same thing. He still doesn't get the distinction and he continues to exaggerate, so it's hard to take him seriously. I don't think anyone here is actually denying that SF has has one of the most visible and aggressive homeless populations- it does. We aren't trying to minimize it either- it's bad. It's intense and in your face, especially around the touristy/central parts of SF. So yeah, people who step off a BART train in Civic Center might be more shocked than if they were to get off the subway near Times Square. Those are pretty small sample sizes though. If you go to SF and all you manage to see are the filthy BART stations and homeless people and trash everywhere, you should really just stick with one of those lame guided tours instead.

After 9/11, NYC became much more like a police state and while it reduced the visibility of the homeless, it came at the expense of innocent people who were harassed and detained for "looking suspicious." You might want to read up on "stop-and-frisk" because the research suggests it didn't do much to reduce the overall crime rate...

If you'd prefer to live in more of a police state that's even "cleaner" than "spotless" NYC, Singapore is a lovey alternative. Yeah, you'll be constantly under survailance and you want have nearly the same degrees of freedom as you'd have in SF, but hey, there's no yucky homeless people and the subways are pristine (let's just ignore the fact that just buying a ticket is one of the most cumbersome and inefficient systems known to man).

I hate to break it to people, but SF has rampant inequality and the homeless aren't just going to vanish into thin air. If "hiding" them away from tourists (ala NYC) from the touristy parts of SF is the proposed solution, well that's a pretty bad one imo. So is locking everyone up who "looks homeless" or "suspicious".

I don't think handing out free tents to everyone, or turning a blind eye to open air drug dealing and blatant drug abuse is an effective solution to SF's homeless problem. I also don't think equivocating homelessness with garbage/refuse to "get rid of" the "problem" is any better.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:37 PM

351 posts, read 340,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Be careful when you're traveling in NYC so you don't end up in the hospital from a subway trash fire like the 9 other people a few weeks ago....
It's called trash day. There's regulations on when they can be put there, how they're organized, and when they'll be picked up. SF is just plain trash thrown over the place.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
It's called trash day. There's regulations on when they can be put there, how they're organized, and when they'll be picked up. SF is just plain trash thrown over the place.
So they schedule trash fires in the subway? WTF are you talking about?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM

NYC's brilliant idea to reduce trash on their subway stations:

New York scraps plan to reduce subway litter by removing trash bins: media

Quote:
(Reuters) - New York has ended a test program aimed at reducing litter in its subway stations by removing garbage bins from stations after it was found the move led to even more litter, local media reported this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland