Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 5,886 times

Advertisements

Lived in Bay Area for 17 years. Moved here from Minnesota and at first could not been happier - warm winters, mountains, working at legendary companies, etc.
Yes, I was able to buy a tiny house in 2003 and have short commute.

Fast froward to 2017:
Now my house costs 3 times as much.
Seems that all people talking about is rents and housing prices.
Young coworkers with 2 kids live in one or two bedroom apartments, despite making 6 figures. They understand that they'll never be able to buy a house here.
My banker tells me she lives with her parents.
My server in a restaurant probably lives in RV as many working families do or in shared apartment with bunch of roommates, and it is not a temporary situation.
Lots of restaurants and entertainment venues that I frequented are closed now.

In the nutshell, even if you are making it fine financially, it just stresses you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 03:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Some people think you should apologize for your home increasing in value. They aren't happy until we turn all private homes into homeless shelters.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Some people think you should apologize for your home increasing in value. They aren't happy until we turn all private homes into homeless shelters.
No, but we shouldn’t use appreciationfor existing homeowners as an excuse to not build new inventory.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM

117 posts, read 175,781 times
born in hayward, raised in fremont, lived in dublin for 8 years

moved to vegas a little less than 5 years ago... vegas is alright, but damn i miss bay area summers... if i could live in the inland bay valley every summer...

Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

39 posts, read 38,453 times
I was born, raised, worked and lived in the Bay Area until 2 years ago. I will always love it and consider it home and will visit but it’s highly unlikely I would ever move back. When I moved away I knew I would never find another place like it so I chose a place that had a lot of the activities and amenities I enjoyed in the Bay Area and appreciate it for what it is. I moved to Atlanta Georgia and other than the summer heat and some bugs that I’d never seen before, have not regretted the move at all.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:25 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonomeis View Post
I was born, raised, worked and lived in the Bay Area until 2 years ago. I will always love it and consider it home and will visit but it’s highly unlikely I would ever move back. When I moved away I knew I would never find another place like it so I chose a place that had a lot of the activities and amenities I enjoyed in the Bay Area and appreciate it for what it is. I moved to Atlanta Georgia and other than the summer heat and some bugs that I’d never seen before, have not regretted the move at all.
You're just like me. I moved to Marietta 2 years ago myself from the Bay Area. The summer is a bit tough, but the bugs aren't that bad. I love the fireflies in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland