Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,997,785 times

Advertisements

Its Seattle with palm trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 PM

4,308 posts, read 6,257,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
do you people actually like the constant 50s and cloudiness?
It does vary somewhat based upon part of the city. When I lived in SF, I lived in SOMA. I remember a lot of times where it would get up into the low 70s during the day and could be nice for a while. Whenever I'd go over to the Richmond/Sunset districts, it would be like you described. I never would've wanted to have lived in those parts of the city.

Still, I would agree that overall SF was too chilly for my tastes. Winters weren't bad, but I wanted a proper summer. I've since moved to a much warmer part of the Bay Area.

I will say that SF has other redeeming factors where it beats out LA. Summer weather admittedly isn't one of them, but I personally like having a bit more rain/greenery during the wintertime.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,028,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
do you people actually like the constant 50s and cloudiness?
You also need to understand that San Francisco itself is actually very small, only covering 49 square miles. The Bay Area as a whole covers 9 different counties and is full of different micro-climates.

Personally, I don't like SF's weather because I prefer sunny and warm weather. Fortunately for me, living in the Bay Area gives me many different weather options.

Based on the OP's original post, he doesn't seem to know Bay Area weather. It can easily be foggy and cold along the coast or in SF and at the same time, it's warm and sunny just a few miles inland.

The general rule in the Bay Area is:

Close to the coast: colder/foggier more often

Close to the bay: warmer, less foggy than the coast and typically very moderate

Inland: warmer to hot, less prone to foggy conditions

This especially applies in the summer months. Obviously, there are many variables involved with changing weather conditions, but these are the general weather conditions around here.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,810,637 times
The cool misty air that smells like urine. So much for summer.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM

242 posts, read 432,266 times
While I'm no longer in the Bay Area, I absolutely loved the weather - especially in winter. I'm thinking about a move to Seattle in about five years and would hope the weather is similar (I imagine less sunny and bit colder). The fog is amazing!

Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,358,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
You also need to understand that San Francisco itself is actually very small, only covering 49 square miles. The Bay Area as a whole covers 9 different counties and is full of different micro-climates.

Personally, I don't like SF's weather because I prefer sunny and warm weather. Fortunately for me, living in the Bay Area gives me many different weather options.

Based on the OP's original post, he doesn't seem to know Bay Area weather. It can easily be foggy and cold along the coast or in SF and at the same time, it's warm and sunny just a few miles inland.

The general rule in the Bay Area is:

Close to the coast: colder/foggier more often

Close to the bay: warmer, less foggy than the coast and typically very moderate

Inland: warmer to hot, less prone to foggy conditions

This especially applies in the summer months. Obviously, there are many variables involved with changing weather conditions, but these are the general weather conditions around here.
The OP appears to be ignorant of LA weather as well. The OP seems to think WeHo weather is the weather of all of LA.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,555,422 times
SF weather is the best in the state, especially in the Outside Lands.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,358,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
SF weather is the best in the state, especially in the Outside Lands.
So be good with something like San Nicolas Island assuming they allowed people to live there.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 AM

3,449 posts, read 5,238,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
While I'm no longer in the Bay Area, I absolutely loved the weather - especially in winter. I'm thinking about a move to Seattle in about five years and would hope the weather is similar (I imagine less sunny and bit colder). The fog is amazing!
When moving to Seattle, do be aware of a few major downsides to the weather. Bay Area gets about 60-70 days of rain per year, Seattle gets 166. And the five coldest months in Seattle (November-March) average colder than *any* month in SF. In fact, a few years ago, Seattle recorded its warmest January on record, and even that was cooler than just an average January in SF. Summers are wonderful, but be prepared for quite a difference in the other nine months of the year. Even Seattle's proximity to the ocean can't make up for the huge difference in latitude, which is twice the difference in latitude between SF and San Diego. Seattle is way, way up there. Winters are dark as heck. Definitely not for me...

Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,242,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
When moving to Seattle, do be aware of a few major downsides to the weather. Bay Area gets about 60-70 days of rain per year, Seattle gets 166. And the five coldest months in Seattle (November-March) average colder than *any* month in SF. In fact, a few years ago, Seattle recorded its warmest January on record, and even that was cooler than just an average January in SF. Summers are wonderful, but be prepared for quite a difference in the other nine months of the year. Even Seattle's proximity to the ocean can't make up for the huge difference in latitude, which is twice the difference in latitude between SF and San Diego. Seattle is way, way up there. Winters are dark as heck. Definitely not for me...
How would you compare a winter in Chicago vs a winter in Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland