Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Having lived in Seattle and San Francisco and visited Chicago in December, I can tell you Chicago is on an entirely different level than San Francisco and Seattle. Seattle is more similar to a San Francisco winter. Most days are cloudy with a light drizzle that lasts the whole day. It's a bit colder than San Francisco and more wet, but not night and day difference.
% of possible sunshine Dec-Feb
SF: 54%, 61%, 69%
Seattle: 20%, 25% 38%

I really don't think the amount of clouds/drizzle/rain is that similar at all. SF is much sunnier in winter. Sometimes the western side of SF feels warmer in winter than summer imo because the lack of marine layer/fog and wind in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Crossing fingers it doesn't warm back up too much. Usually we're about to hit our peak, so maybe we'll rebound. It does seem to go up and down rather quickly, so anything could happen, even for short periods.
Don't you usually complain how cold the ocean is in San Diego? lol. But you don't want it to get warm again?

Those cold upwellings really can change the ocean temp in SD quick but I see they are back to the low's 70's. Maybe that's still too cold for you but I would kill for those ocean temps in NorCal.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I really miss Bay Area weather overall and enjoyed that cool sea breeze that would cool off the evenings so it was comfortable to sleep. Two weeks ago here in San Diego, the temperature was in the mid 80's and the dew point at one point was 72. Muggy and miserable. It's fine right now.
LOL, that's sounds PERFECT to me! I love that warm, muggy semi-tropical weather SD gets in summer, makes for great beach weather. It sucks though when it's time to sleep (w/o AC) but otherwise the best imo. All you need is a AC window unit in the bedroom for those warm nights but otherwise SD summer weather is amazing and the best in the country.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:23 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Don't you usually complain how cold the ocean is in San Diego? lol. But you don't want it to get warm again?

Those cold upwellings really can change the ocean temp in SD quick but I see they are back to the low's 70's. Maybe that's still too cold for you but I would kill for those ocean temps in NorCal.
I don't complain about cool ocean temps, as I don't generally go in anyway. I wouldn't go in a pool that cold. I know the ocean is more fun, and I'll put in my feet, but that's about it. So I don't care that much what tbe ocean temp is unless it's near record levels. So weird that despite the rebound, the weather hasn't changed. Still lots of marine layer, low humidity inland, and cool evening breezes. Wonder why.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
LOL, that's sounds PERFECT to me! I love that warm, muggy semi-tropical weather SD gets in summer, makes for great beach weather. It sucks though when it's time to sleep (w/o AC) but otherwise the best imo. All you need is a AC window unit in the bedroom for those warm nights but otherwise SD summer weather is amazing and the best in the country.
Only had a handful of days like that this summer so far, if it makes you feel any better not to be missing a great summer this year. We've been consistently wearing a light jacket after about 7 pm for weeks. July had some warm spells but it hasn't been the usual. On the other hand, I like opening the windows for free cool air.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seattle summers are vastly superior to me. It actually gets warm here in the city. Upper 70s and low 80s. It's a dry heat and rarely does it rain in July and August. In SF proper it doesn't feel like a summer to me. Yes you can drive inland but in terms of experiencing it on a day to day basis, too cold for me. Fall/winter to me would be more depressing if I didn't feel like I had a legitimate summer. But I prefer seasonal variation.
Agree about SF, but of course much of the Bay Area away from SF has much hotter summers than Seattle, and no rain for many months, so I'd much rather live in the Bay Area than Seattle during summer, just not anywhere near SF.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
We've never used more than a fan.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 9,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seattle summers are vastly superior to me. It actually gets warm here in the city. Upper 70s and low 80s. It's a dry heat and rarely does it rain in July and August. In SF proper it doesn't feel like a summer to me. Yes you can drive inland but in terms of experiencing it on a day to day basis, too cold for me. Fall/winter to me would be more depressing if I didn't feel like I had a legitimate summer. But I prefer seasonal variation.
Parts of fall in SF (September and October) are actually warmer than July and August, typically with much less fog.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM

9 posts, read 11,721 times
Weather is beautiful in SF. You can wear a hoodie all year round.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:54 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Nah, you pretty much HAVE TO. In Oakland, you have the option of not wearing one and you won't freeze to death if you forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland