Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
If you have 300k, can't you just pony up 3100 or so a month for a small house? That's 600 a month for say 3 years until you graduate. $21k for peace of mind seems worth it
This^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
If you have 300k, can't you just pony up 3100 or so a month for a small house? That's 600 a month for say 3 years until you graduate. $21k for peace of mind seems worth it
Does not compute, unless you're referring to the $600/month as an interest or property tax portion of a $3100/month total expense.

OP should not buy in the bay area under ANY circumstance.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:57 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Could you give us more info, OP? How old is your child--will s/he be in school? Would your wife be bringing in any income? If the child is pre-school or school age, could your wife step up to the plate and take a pt-time job, to help out?

OTOH, have you looked for housing in Fremont? There are 2-br. homes w/office or other "bonus" space, and 2-br. condos with playground in good neighborhoods for around $2500/month, give or take.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Why are you limiting yourself to Cal State East Bay? There are lots of Cal State Universities all over the state in way less pricy areas.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Why are you limiting yourself to Cal State East Bay? There are lots of Cal State Universities all over the state in way less pricy areas.
Maybe Cal State E Bay is where he began his grad program, so transferring back would be the easiest? Still waiting for a response on that question.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM

34 posts, read 34,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Does not compute, unless you're referring to the $600/month as an interest or property tax portion of a $3100/month total expense.

OP should not buy in the bay area under ANY circumstance.
I could not figure out how 600 would compute its more like 3400 for a ok house in castro valley or maybe livermore. 3400 times 2.5 years comes out to a ton lost. I do have some residual income of about 1600 a month that would still put me in the red.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe Cal State E Bay is where he began his grad program, so transferring back would be the easiest? Still waiting for a response on that question.
Yes It has to do with where I started , where I have gone and who will accept the bulk of my work without losing more credits. I will finishing up Physical Therapy School and yes Ive looked at other programs I have to be here or there period.

Everything everyone is saying is making sense.... Maybe my California dreams are slowly evaporating even after graduation I'm not going to be flush for sometime. Forget about LA or OC house prices etc. are horrible. lets say it will be a couple years before strong consistent income of 90k plus or I build a business ( I was a personal trainer for many years and nutritionist).

Florida is not bad but I always see Hurricane warnings etc..... I might have to buck it up out here we have a 5 bedroom house and half an acre for 1750 a month. Everywhere I drive there are broken highways and rolling hills and nothing but strip malls and shopping and worse designed traffic than even the bay or LA. I truly don't enjoy anywhere I go in the entire state of GA its like an Alien Land. I would rather be Living in Van Nuys than GA!

I don't mind Charlotte as much which is where my wife is from , Everyone seems to remind me how impossible it is to live in California and I might have to settle my fate. Maybe after graduation I would still prefer the west coast like AZ or CO.

Someone mentioned putting money in the stock market and waiting for crash but I just don't trust the stock market.

I might just have to stick it out here until I build a larger income and except the fact that I will not feel connected to culture, community, environment for many years to come

wasting 2o k a year from my savings is probably a stupid idea .......... What I wouldn't give to head to sunset beach or ride my bike In golden Gate park or drive to MT TAM. probably one of the worst decisions i have ever made moving out here .

Apologize for spelling, grammar I'm on my phone and finishing up and tend to just brain storm......

Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you give us more info, OP? How old is your child--will s/he be in school? Would your wife be bringing in any income? If the child is pre-school or school age, could your wife step up to the plate and take a pt-time job, to help out?

OTOH, have you looked for housing in Fremont? There are 2-br. homes w/office or other "bonus" space, and 2-br. condos with playground in good neighborhoods for around $2500/month, give or take.
daughter starts kindergarten next march, my wife is just going back to school she could do some small amount of work but she has a hard time adapting to new environments and it takes her a while to get out there.
2500 wouldn't be bad I looked at fremont and didn't see anything in my range. Lets not forget cross country move costs first and last etc..... on top of being about 1000 short on rent

Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 PM

926 posts, read 979,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Suck it up and rent in Tracy. There are no easy answers here, there is only making the best out of a difficult situation. At least Tracy/Mountain Home gives you easier access to snowboarding.

Once you graduate, you can reassess. And tighten up your writing skills for crying out loud. Be glad I'm not one of your professors.
sounds like good idea. while jobless, hunker in tracy where rent is cheap. Once job is found, commute for a while till you get a deal in bay area. I think there are lot of options.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtapper View Post
daughter starts kindergarten next march, my wife is just going back to school she could do some small amount of work but she has a hard time adapting to new environments and it takes her a while to get out there.
2500 wouldn't be bad I looked at fremont and didn't see anything in my range. Lets not forget cross country move costs first and last etc..... on top of being about 1000 short on rent
Well, here's what I'm thinking. You have your nest egg. You say you also have shaky credit. IDK about the Bay Area, but LL's in other parts of the US accept a nice solid bank statement like yours in lieu of an income statement, and that kind of money also tends to smooth over any snags in the credit report, up to a point. You could offer a prospective LL a cash amount covering the first six months right off the bat. That would get you off to a solid start. Then the two of you could put together an acceptable/workable combined income. Your wife is going back to school? Any chance she could qualify for work-study on campus?

Just brainstorming. And yeah, look at Craigslist Fremont; you should see plenty of options in your general price range.

Oh, one more question; since you've been living out-of-state, will you qualify for in-state tuition? Have you checked that out? It would throw a major wrench in the works if you both would have to pay out-of-state tuition. Unless you get a teaching assistantship or research assistant position, for free tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland