Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah? So people like them who otherwise have zero offenses should have to pay a fine. I totally agree.

But it's pigheaded and counterproductive to disrupt a successful family after 20 years. That'a absolutely immoral.
So is identity theft no longer a crime? Is filing false tax documents not a crime? Is doing this for two decades not a crime?

I guess you are fine with letting criminals stay here while the ruin the lives of others through identity theft.
9 Surprising Ways Identity Theft Can Hurt You | Credit.com

Only in your world is commiting crimes from decades moral and punishing the criminal immoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So is identity theft no longer a crime? Is filing false tax documents not a crime? Is doing this for two decades not a crime?

I guess you are fine with letting criminals stay here while the ruin the lives of others through identity theft.
9 Surprising Ways Identity Theft Can Hurt You | Credit.com

Only in your world is commiting crimes from decades moral and punishing the criminal immoral.
No you are trying in vain here.

We all agree that it was wrong to use a false social to work, but I have zero hesitation about being lenient on people such as this couple.

They have committed no other crimes in 20 years. They work hard, pay taxes, are homeowners, have great kids, the eldest at UC.

I see no reason to punish them beyond a fine and probation.

You clearly disagree-that's fine, I still think my approach is better for America.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:

We all agree that it was wrong to use a false social to work, but I have zero hesitation about being lenient on people such as this couple.

They have committed no other crimes in 20 years. They work hard, pay taxes, are homeowners, have great kids, the eldest at UC.

You clearly disagree-that's fine, I still think my approach is better for America.

Your approach is why we have a large illegal immigrant population.

If people have a problem with the laws then change the laws. Stop acting like they do not exist and that certain people should be exempt from them because you think they are inherently good. As long as the laws are on the books they need to be enforced equally against all who break them. It is the American way, equal justice under the law.

What is best for American is enfocemnt of the law and then todrastically stream line the immigration process and implement a merit based system based on our needs. Btw, this is what almost every 1st world nation does for immigration.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Your approach is why we have a large illegal immigrant population.

If people have a problem with the laws then change the laws. Stop acting like they do not exist and that certain people should be exempt from them because you think they are inherently good. As long as the laws are on the books they need to be enforced equally against all who break them. It is the American way, equal justice under the law.

What is best for American is enfocemnt of the law and then todrastically stream line the immigration process and implement a merit based system based on our needs. Btw, this is what almost every 1st world nation does for immigration.
I have to agree with the above member. Illegal immigration has gone down by a lot since Trump got in power because word on the street or I should say past our Southern border is that you will be deported if you cross into the country. Coyotes have doubled their price because it is now more difficult to smuggle people into the country and much more risky. If we send the message that you have a decent chance if you make it here, you will be allowed to stay, work, and even receive benefits... it's a magnet. Show people we are serious about enforcing our laws, eventually it will free up the legal method and allow more funding to be given towards legal immigration. I also think a merit based system is good, I have a lot of international friends who graduated with me in college and yet they were sent back to their countries, why? We educate them and then send them away. Most wealthy countries have a merit based system as mentioned. However, honestly, I just want our laws enforced and our legal immigration system given more attention because the way it is now is ridiculous.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:

They're thieves. Taking something that is intended for American citizens and lawfully present guests.
We don't need people like this.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:15 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They're thieves. Taking something that is intended for American citizens and lawfully present guests.
We don't need people like this.
Ha! They earned everything they have and to claim they stole from citizens is laughable.

Fine them, a lot even, but let them stay. They have earned it, several times over.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Ha! They earned everything they have and to claim they stole from citizens is laughable.

Fine them, a lot even, but let them stay. They have earned it, several times over.
They obtained employment by force or fraud, that's stealing. If the only thing they stole were a job, it would still be a deportable offense, but they've also stolen an identity of an actual American, plus they've looted how much in government services? They've used our health care system, our educational system, all of our systems, all without authorization.

That's all stealing.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:36 AM

Feinstein's actions constitute aiding and abetting an illegal alien in violation of Federal law.

She needs a reminder of what the law is, and who she works for (who her masters are).

A grand jury indictment would be a great start.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:57 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
But it's pigheaded and counterproductive to disrupt a successful family after 20 years. That'a absolutely immoral.
But you stay silent when a family (of legal Americans) in this country gets disrupted because someone gets deployed overseas and gets killed, someone commits a crime and goes to jail, someone has to leave their families and communities to travel long distance for their jobs, etc...

Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
But let's not be dense a-holes about it. This couple is law abiding, they are both employed, she's an ICU RN, they own their home, they pay their taxes, their kid is at UC, etc.
I'd rather help legal, documented immigrants who had to follow the rules to get here to become citizens, than undocumented illegals who broke the law to enter the country. Illegals deserve to be deported, but they can be welcomed back but they have to follow the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland