Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,967,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's for the Presidio, not GG park. That's an important distinction because the Presidio is National Park land, controlled and managed by the federal government, NOT the city of SF.

If this MUST happen here (argh...must it??), maybe it can be delayed so that federal police forces can be brought in. That would be the best outcome here, I think.
The underlined makes perfect sense. The National Guard. And the police could be involved off park grounds, in City jurisdiction.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
You're worried about "white nationalists" looting and vandalizing your property? Why?

And this thread is about a patriot march, so why are you prattling on about "Aryans" and "White nationalists"? Are you just blindly adopting the media's stance of smearing all white demonstrators with these slurs and ascribing ideology to them when you have no information on which to base this?
This is a person who doesn't recognize code words. Like when Reagan harped on about "welfare queens".

Yeah, sure, we're all patriotic, aren't we? Let's just call it "Flag Day", and all get out there and wave our flags. That's what it's about, isn't it? Sweetness and innocent love of country.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:07 PM

76 posts, read 68,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They have a legal right to march. We cant allow our fears or dislike of their message to cause us to try and silence the voices of those we disagree with.

I wish people would stop marching against each other and instead sit down and talk to each other.
There has to be a balance. These demonstrations require a lot of resources (from local residents) to secure the safety of not only the outside agitators but the local residents. Obviously if they decided to "excercise their 1st amendment" everyday they'd bankrupt and paralyze the city.

I own a small townhouse I mostly AirBnB that's in the Haight very close to GG park. I don't want white supremacists coming and turning my area into a war zone nor do I want my tax dollars going to this event either. Do I have any say? Or is my safety (or the safety of my 'tenants') and tax dollars of no consequence? All I'm saying is we need to strike some balance.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post
There has to be a balance. These demonstrations require a lot of resources (from local residents) to secure the safety of not only the outside agitators but the local residents. Obviously if they decided to "excercise their 1st amendment" everyday they'd bankrupt and paralyze the city.

I own a small townhouse I mostly AirBnB that's in the Haight very close to GG park. I don't want white supremacists coming and turning my area into a war zone nor do I want my tax dollars going to this event either. Do I have any say? Or is my safety (or the safety of my 'tenants') and tax dollars of no consequence? All I'm saying is we need to strike some balance.
Hey I don't want my tax dollars going towards corporations offshoring jobs, tax breaks and increasing their profits while not paying their employees livable wages.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,772,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87 View Post

Then amend the constitution. Otherwise jurisprudence stands and everyone has the right to march no matter how bad their ideas are. It is the backbone of our nation after all.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,979,018 times
Nothing wrong with being proud to be white.

Why does everyone get to be proud and have their own neighborhood, but white folks?????

Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No the the amount of people who believe in white supremacy is not tiny, nor is it insignificant and nor is it harmless. Most of the incidents of domestic terrorism have come from this movement.

https://www.axios.com/fbi-and-dhs-re...472924837.html
White extremist murders: Killed at least 60 in U.S. since 1995.
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/...w-enforcement/
White Supremacists More Dangerous To America Than Foreign Terrorists, Study Says | HuffPost
Homegrown Terrorism and Why the Threat of Right-Wing Extremism Is Rising in America

These people have been emboldened by Trump's presidency and refusal to denounce their behavior. There sentiments are reflected in broader American culture - directly and indirectly.
Absolutely right. Those who think this is a tiny fringe will be surprised. This is Trump's voter base, to a large extent.

In the same way that Bush II relied upon the Holy Roller constituency for votes (after "discovering" and energizing them during his father's electoral campaign), these are the people who crawled out of the woodwork to elect Trump. Granted, Trump didn't deliberately seek them out. And one could argue that not all of the participants in these events are "supremacists", but more along the lines of garden-variety racists who have been disgruntled with the "multicultural" part of the democratic processes at work over generations in US society, it still amounts to a highly emotional, inflammatory crowd.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then amend the constitution. Otherwise jurisprudence stands and everyone has the right to march no matter how bad their ideas are. It is the backbone of our nation after all.
So if they want to do these demonstrations everyday? They'd paralyze the city but we have to allow them? There has to be a limit, I don't pretend to be a legal scholar for the Constitution but it's time to find this limit.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I wish people would stop marching against each other and instead sit down and talk to each other.
We passed that point a long time ago, America is in decline,much violence in the future as more and more of these hate rallies dominate.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Nothing wrong with being proud to be white.

Why does everyone get to be proud and have their own neighborhood, but white folks?????
Nothing is wrong with being proud of being White. I'm White.

These White Supremacists want to either ethnically cleanse our country of minorities or enslave them again. Do you listen to their rhetoric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland