Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,657,172 times

Advertisements

Pleasanton and Dublin are generally nicer than Hayward but also more expensive. You will have the luxury of being the first stop on the Bart line and thus be able to get a seat during commuter times. Hayward has more mild weather that Pleasanton/Dublin. There is a heat wave in the area right now and it is expected to top 110 degrees this weekend whereas Hayward will be around 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,017,544 times
People are recommending Dublin/Pleasanton, but those cities are more expensive and are a longer commute to SF. Yes, they are nicer though. They probably won't fit the OP's budget or commuting preference though.

Based on making $73k/year, I wouldn't recommend the inland East Bay areas along I-680.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 PM

10,309 posts, read 8,480,866 times
Actually depending on the op work hours, Dublin and Pleasanton are possible. Rent there is probably 1800 to 2000 for a one bdrm apartment and the OP has little debt.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
All depends... have friends that commute via BART from Castro Valley, Dublin and Pleasant Hill... one even from Pittsburg but it is a long haul.

Several of my tenants live in Oakland and take BART to the city and bring their bikes... they don't own cars.

Dublin pays the most for an apartment and is the newest... $2100

Pittsburg pays the least... $1350

My tenants rent a 4 bedroom home in Oakland and there are 5 of them... one couple and 3 singles... their combined housing costs including rent, utilities and cable is $500 +/- each... but it is a roommate situation which can have other issues...

Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Sometimes you can score a cheap in-law apt. in Daly City for under $2000. But there would be lots of competition for something like that, so it's not something an out-of-state applicant could nail. After the OP is in the area, he can try for something like that, if a decent one is available.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 AM

36 posts, read 39,376 times
Thank You for all the help guys. I've found a few spots in SF looking for roommates and I'll just have to bite the bullet and go with that. I don't want to take 2+ hours getting to and from work. Hence, Pittsburgh, CA has some nice and affordable apartments but a 2 hour BART ride or a "38 minute drive, which can turn into two hours....plus finding parking would be hell."
I see a few places looking for roommates that are right across the street from my new job. It'll hurt to pay that much in rent for a room but hey anything for a job right?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:59 AM

It's good you are researching ahead of your visit...

In "General" the farther East from SF the less expensive...

Traffic is the real issue for many... have coworkers that bought their new dream homes and after two years of commuting... simply couldn't do it anymore...

It' not the distance but the time added due to congestion...

I regularly get calls from co-workers driving in on the Altamont with a 6 am start time that are delayed due to traffic...

I start at 5:30 am and 7 minutes away by car... as much as a like to drive I hate traffic worse...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-01-2017 at 01:11 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 AM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP360 View Post
Thank You for all the help guys. I've found a few spots in SF looking for roommates and I'll just have to bite the bullet and go with that. I don't want to take 2+ hours getting to and from work. Hence, Pittsburgh, CA has some nice and affordable apartments but a 2 hour BART ride or a "38 minute drive, which can turn into two hours....plus finding parking would be hell."
I see a few places looking for roommates that are right across the street from my new job. It'll hurt to pay that much in rent for a room but hey anything for a job right?
Where, exactly, is your job? And for future reference, you can get cheaper rooms/shares in Berkeley.

Let us know how everything works out, once you get moved and settled in.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 AM

379 posts, read 783,355 times
Great choice, OP. Roommates in San Francisco (or Berkeley / Oakland) is an excellent way to get started in San Francisco when you're a young, single person. If you get tired of the roommate lifestyle after a year or two you'll be better positioned to look for deals on in-law units and studios than looking long distance.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM

It may sound contrite but having a car you care about can be a real problem living in SF...

Parking is a problem and everyone I know that parks on the street has to deal with finding a spot, no parking days and damage... from scuffs and scrapes to smash and grab busted out windows.

One of the nurses I work with pays $400 a month to securely park her car in SF... she is one a one year contract and always wanted to live in SF... so at 25 she is following her dream... the only thing she did not expect was the problem owning a car in the city presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland