Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 01:09 AM

108 posts, read 60,473 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone, so I will be taking my first trip to San Francisco in November and was hoping to get opinions on some things to do for the two full days that I will have in the city. The first day, I will be doing a walking tour all around downtown, Nob Hill, the Marina District, and a few other areas. The tour is 10a-3pm and I will have plenty of time after that to do whatever I want and the next full day as well.

I am a big photography lover and will have my DSLR with me. I will of course be staying in San Francisco, right near Union Square so I can access every part of the city no problem. I will be using public transportation but that isn't a problem for me at all.

As I said, and opinions on things to do or NOT miss will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much,

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 12:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
There is so much more to see in the Bay Area besides SF.

Rent a zipcar and take 280 to the Woodside exit. You will see Crystal Springs Reservoir located in the northern Santa Cruz Mountains off of 280 as you are nearing the Woodside exit.

Exit Woodside and take 84 through the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains to the Pacific Hwy. Travel north on Pacific Hwy to Montara beach. Climb down to the beach and enjoy yourself! It's a stunning view and very calm and peaceful place to enjoy relaxing. Make sure to go on a day of full sunshine. It can be foggy there and that would ruin the entire experience.

Enjoy!

Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
If you drive down el Camino real and go down side streets you can see where the middle class used to live before they went extinct there.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
If you drive down el Camino real and go down side streets you can see where the middle class used to live before they went extinct there.
Such a Debbie downer all the time, you're a sad individual

Old 09-09-2017, 06:43 PM

702 posts, read 953,994 times
If you like art, don't miss the Mission: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...22.417843&z=16

If you like grand city views, go to the top of Twin Peaks

If you like grand architecture, check out the inside of City Hall and the Palace Hotel (2 New Montgomery)
25 Buildings to See in SF - American Institute of Architects San Francisco

Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninAZ View Post
Good morning everyone, so I will be taking my first trip to San Francisco in November and was hoping to get opinions on some things to do for the two full days that I will have in the city. The first day, I will be doing a walking tour all around downtown, Nob Hill, the Marina District, and a few other areas. The tour is 10a-3pm and I will have plenty of time after that to do whatever I want and the next full day as well.

I am a big photography lover and will have my DSLR with me. I will of course be staying in San Francisco, right near Union Square so I can access every part of the city no problem. I will be using public transportation but that isn't a problem for me at all.

As I said, and opinions on things to do or NOT miss will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much,

Dan
Start at Powell st on market, walk to China town, up the hill to North Beach, and then down into Fisherman's Wharf. To get back to Powell, walk the Embarcadero. You will pass the Bay Bridge, which is a marvelous piece of engineering. That is a good, full day.

Also, see Mission and Valencia. Just go on foot. Kind of crazy, Mission is a place of urban art and beautry from the steets. Go a block or two over to Valencia and all the affluent folks are eating in fancy restaurants. Great neighborhood but be carfeul because it is a bit shady.

Go up Geary street to the other side of the city (from the bay ot the ocean) and see the cliff house and ocean beach. I believe Japantown is along Geary.

You cannot miss the Godlen Gate and the Presidio area. Golden Gate park is very nice and they have some lovely museums.

As someone else noted, if you can get out of SF, go up highway 1 or 280. 1 is on the coast and you'll see lots of small coastal cities and farms. 280 has got to be the most beatiful highway in the wrold, srrounded by trees and mountains. Feels like a "lost hihgway."

End up in Santa Cruz and see the vibrant, and very strange, downtown. Walk to the beach from downtown to the coast and see one of the best, casual, old-timey parks in thew world with a coaster that is about 100 years old, and some fine dark rides.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,401 times
Napa & Sausalito, two of the most beautiful areas in the Bay Area. You can rent a car to go to Napa (or take a tour) and take a ferry (only 25 minutes) to Sausalito. Chinatown is a must (R&G Lounge in Chinatown has great food).

Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
As you can see, OP, there are many extraordinary sights to see outside of SF, as well as inside. I was about to make recommendations for locations on the other side of the GG bridge, but then I realized you may prefer to stay in the City. Please let us know your preference in that regard, before we continue. Would you be up for renting a car for your 2nd day, or do you want to stay in the City?

There's plenty to see on the west side of town: Golden Gate Park, the Russian district (good lunch spots/bakeries!), the Presidio park, and from there, you can walk across the bridge, taking photos of the city from that vantage point. GG Park has the DeYoung Museum, Steinhart Aquarium, the Japanese Tea Garden, and a wonderful plant Conservatory, among other attractions. If you're there on a Sunday, there's swing dancing at noon at the bandstand in front of the DeYoung, and the park is closed to traffic, so you can rent roller skates, and see the park by skating through it. You can also walk from the museum area out through the west end of the park, to the beach, if you're a good walker, which it sounds like you are. As you near the end of the park, you'll pass an old windmill. Lots of interesting subject for photography, in the park. There's even a buffalo herd, but they tend to hide from visitors; I've never seen them.

http://conservatoryofflowers.org/
http://www.japaneseteagardensf.com/
http://sfrecpark.org/destination/gol...utch-windmill/
https://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/steinhart-aquarium
http://www.presidio.gov/
https://www.nps.gov/prsf/planyourvis...ate-bridge.htm

Consider lunch at the Cinderella Bakery, where the local Russians hang out. It's just 3 blocks from GG Park. Killer bakery section! (Get the cheesecake squares to go. You'll thank me.) And you can get some pirozhki to go, for your flight home, the next day. I recommend the stuffed cabbage rolls, for lunch, with or without borshch.
http://cinderellabakery.com/home.html

Hopefully, you'll be back to the area in the future, to see more of what the Bay area has to offer.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-11-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Take a sightseeing tour

Old 09-14-2017, 05:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDan907 View Post
I am a big photography lover and will have my DSLR with me.
Be careful taking a DSLR out in public in SF! Better to leave the DSLR in the hotel room or at home. The people who got shot and robbed wish they did that.

San Francisco Police investigating rash of camera robberies at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park | abc7news.com

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/19/pho...amera-robbery/

Thieves Steal Camera, Run Over Visitor To Twin Peaks « CBS San Francisco

Man punched, robbed of camera in San Francisco | KRON4.com

San Francisco Robbery Suspects Steal Man's Camera, Drag Him on Asphalt - NBC Bay Area

Out-of-town visitors mugged on Twin Peaks in SF - SFGate

Woman robbed of camera while taking photos on Treasure Island - by bcn_sfex - July 3, 2017 - The San Francisco Examiner

Tourist Robbed, Shot in San Francisco; Suspects in Custody After Manhunt: SFPD - NBC Bay Area

https://petapixel.com/2015/08/05/pho...-pepper-spray/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland