Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Speak for yourself. Everyone does not 'hate' techies. You derail your argument by speaking for a region of 7 million. I believe in diversity.
But do you believe in sarcasm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I'm sensing that to be a no...

Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Sure. What you wrote was not sarcastic. Are you saying you were being sarcastic?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:28 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I used to "work in tech" in SF but in the 80's and 90's but in those days I was just a boring computer programmer for a financial company. Now I do something different that's more fun and social, close to home in the suburbs. It feels good man.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:11 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Disclaimer - If I do offend anyone in this post, that is not my intention. Also note this is a naive post

I don't live in SF, but have always worked in tech. Specifically, I have always worked for Silicon Valley nicely VC funded tech companies. I visit SF at least every other month. Therefore, I'm kinda sorta in that "bubble". I feel like every time I walk down Market St, 90% of the pple I walk by work in some tech company

Being in the tech bubble, everyone I'm surrounded by is financially very well off and fit into the typical tech stereotype. But let's be real, SF is not all tech, and definitely not everyone in SF is bringing in $150k+/year

For those that don't, how do you feel? Don't you feel left out? You live in a city where 1 industry just flat out dominates it and you are not in that industry. Don't you feel like financially you don't fit and are living above your means? Why don't you move? How does peer pressure affect you?
You might find it hard to believe but making lots of money is not the key to happiness. This post comes off as extremely arrogant. Do you ask the barista at Starbucks or the waitress serving avocado on toast how they feel about not working in the tech industry too?

I do know many people in the Bay Area (and also my city, Seattle) resentful of the tech industry but it's not necessarily out of envy but rather the sterilizing effect that a culturally bankrupt industry has had on the city.

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-23-2017 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 03:27 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
Disclaimer - If I do offend anyone in this post, that is not my intention. Also note this is a naive post

I don't live in SF, but have always worked in tech. Specifically, I have always worked for Silicon Valley nicely VC funded tech companies. I visit SF at least every other month. Therefore, I'm kinda sorta in that "bubble". I feel like every time I walk down Market St, 90% of the pple I walk by work in some tech company

Being in the tech bubble, everyone I'm surrounded by is financially very well off and fit into the typical tech stereotype. But let's be real, SF is not all tech, and definitely not everyone in SF is bringing in $150k+/year

For those that don't, how do you feel? Don't you feel left out? You live in a city where 1 industry just flat out dominates it and you are not in that industry. Don't you feel like financially you don't fit and are living above your means? Why don't you move? How does peer pressure affect you?
As the adage goes - don't feed the troll.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM

882 posts, read 688,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
As the adage goes - don't feed the troll.
Yep, but they couldn't help themselves. Not to mention, the poster doesn't appear to live in the area (looks like Dallas) and seems obsessed about pay, lol.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 09-23-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Well, it's interesting seeing how most responses are either, "Who cares?" or "Tech culture is annoying." With that in mind, it would be interesting to hear from the OP: are you surprised by these responses? Do you think that living in the tech bubble limits your perspective on other viewpoints or your appreciation of non-materialistic experiences such as a hike in the redwoods or a day at the beach? Being stuck in a well paid but demanding rat race is still a rat race... I know people in many different industries including tech, and I think they all have really interesting jobs and lives. So I'm more fascinated by the OP's myopic perspective more than by his question.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

No, do you feel *left out* of the rest of humanity sitting so high on that mountain?
For some not in the *tech industry* $150k+/year is pocket change.
Don't you feel left out?
You live in a city where humanity dominates and you are not part of it.
Don't you feel like financially you don't fit and are living above your means?
Why don't you move?
How does peer pressure affect you?

Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:

How do you get the idea that so many are in tech on market street?
Some tech are well paid, others are the features of being in tech and struggling to survive in San Francisco.

Some people are entrepreneurs or financial investors. Don't know why you think if you are in tech you are at the top of the food chain. I know some people not in tech that own real estate and laugh at much money tech people like you have to pay them for rent. Maybe you are in a bubble, but more of one of being naive about the rest of the world or one of just assumed superiority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: