Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,680 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. After reading a lot of these forums, I thought I would present my situation and see what others thought.

I recently visited the bay area and was offered jobs from two different companies. I am mid-thirties, single, no kids, no pets, and very little "stuff": clothes, computer, bed. Let's say I am waiting to move before I start accumulating things.

One offer was in west Alameda and the other was in Pleasanton, close to I-580 and the BART station. The companies are very similar in benefits, work, and upward growth, so they are equally balanced...I could pick either one.

Like almost everyone else, I would love to live in downtown SF and ride the BART everywhere, sell my car, etc. etc. But it seems that no mass transit services Alameda (except Oakland busses) and Pleasanton is 45 minutes away. The idea of parking my car in downtown SF and driving the Bay Bridge everyday is NOT appealing in the least. If I took the Alameda job, I could live on Alameda island and walk or bike to work (or drive). I could live in downtown SF and ride the ferry or BART to Oakland and take the bus to the island, or BART to Pleasanton. If I lived in Pleasanton itself I would keep my car and ride BART into SF for shopping, dining, ball games, etc.

Does anyone out there have a similar situation (or used to have)? I need creative ideas that would minimize commute times, maximize cool places to live, and still not spend tons more than my halfway-to-six-figures salary will allow, while still picking one of these two options?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 PM

13 posts, read 79,490 times
Hmm...

You might consider what other cities there are in the bay area besides SF that have cool things to do. For example, Berkeley has of course lots of fun things to do. Orinda has an excellent Shakespeare Festival. Are you ever interested in going to the other side of the Carquinez bridge, like the Vacaville Outlets or Sacramento? Alameda would be closer to all of these things.

I'm not familiar with Pleasanton, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 AM

323 posts, read 1,426,064 times
You can commute by bus directly to Alameda.But I would rather live in Alameda ...

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Alameda wins hands down. Pleasanton is suburban hell. If you lived and worked in Alameda you wouldn't need a car. Alameda is small, and flat (great for bicycling), Twice a day there is the "Rush Half hour" and it has just about everything you'll need. Any part of Alameda is a short walk to the water. The boat launches are free. About the only thing they seem to be lacking is a decent hardware store. Just about a mile, maybe less, over the Park street bridge into Oakland is a Home depot. Alameda housing is a bit pricey but you get to live in a safe, convenient town. If you live and work there, the money you'll save on gas and tolls will more than make up for it. Of course, the "stuck in traffic" excuse won't fly with your boss when you wake up two hours late.

If you're into fast food, big box stores, and HOAs, Pleasanton might be a better choice. Oh yeah, summer in Pleasanton is brutal. If you're into a small coastal town atmosphere and a more relaxed lifestyle, Alameda is the much better choice. Alameda is the west coast's answer to a small New England town without the snowplows building walls in your driveway. Alameda is central to the entire Bay Area.

For getting to the city, I use the Ferry. It's comfortable, surprisingly fast for a boat, and it doesn't smell like barf. There is never an issue of whether or not there's room for a bike either. I don't travel on AC transit. I choose life.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I don't travel on AC transit. I choose life.
ROTFL

Alameda is probably your best choice. Good luck in your new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland