Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:04 PM

520 posts, read 606,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
For these locations, need to consider traffic issues - going north/south on 880/80 during commute hours is not for the faint of heart, unless one can take BART up to Richmond.
Agreed. I wouldn’t be looking further than Emeryville to Crockett on the 80 coridoor. You can find good places in that area on your budget, especially if you’re not concerned about schools. I guess you could also live in Marin near the Richmond Bridge, but there is little reason to, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,594 times
Richmond by itself is a dangerous area, although not all of it. You absolutely have to see where the apartments are in person. Vallejo also has very bad areas. It also has good areas. But those are absolutely not cities where I would feel comfortable getting an apartment with minimum research or sight unseen.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
I think the best deal along the BART line that's affordable and safe is Concord. But, again, it depends on the entire commute - getting to the BART station, parking or taking Lyft or whatever, getting from BART to your job. Or seeing if there are decent buses that are better, etc.

But, Concord is decent in my opinion. It's the blue collar town next to the upscale town (Walnut Creek).

Commuting is really no fun, though. The closer you can be to your job the better.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,788,356 times
https://hotpads.com/el-cerrito-ca/ap...nLon=-122.6818

link shows Richmond & surrounding area.....I set the filters @ 2 bdrm, maximum $2500

Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 PM

On the link above, besides view photos of a rentals, click on "street view" and that will give you the option, using your computer mouse, to move about the neighborhood and see what you can see.....specially what is next to the rental. As noted above, Richmond has a number of areas that have crime issues......but, there are some decent areas

Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think the best deal along the BART line that's affordable and safe is Concord. But, again, it depends on the entire commute - getting to the BART station, parking or taking Lyft or whatever, getting from BART to your job. Or seeing if there are decent buses that are better, etc.

But, Concord is decent in my opinion. It's the blue collar town next to the upscale town (Walnut Creek).

Commuting is really no fun, though. The closer you can be to your job the better.
But taking BART from Concord to Richmond would be terribly long and require a transfer. The drive also sucks, even if you were to take San Pablo Dam Road.

Pinole is affordable and you could take surface streets to Richmond.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,278,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But taking BART from Concord to Richmond would be terribly long and require a transfer. The drive also sucks, even if you were to take San Pablo Dam Road.

Pinole is affordable and you could take surface streets to Richmond.
It's all good info. My mom had a house in Pinole, and your only option from there is to drive. My step-dad did the commute every day to UC Berkeley from there, which totally sucked. Just depends on your circumstances and options.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 11,825 times
Thank you all. I truly appreciate the advice. At this point I believe I'll be staying at an Extended Stay America and getting settled into my job, then looking for places upon arrival.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus_Dali View Post
Thank you all. I truly appreciate the advice. At this point I believe I'll be staying at an Extended Stay America and getting settled into my job, then looking for places upon arrival.
Sounds like a good plan

Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,476,901 times
Where in Richmond is your job site? We can give you pointers on various neighborhoods. A BART-friendly commute, for example, is useless if you will be working in the Hilltop Mall area. Richmond is an affordable city with good and bad parts, so there isn't much need to look further afield unless you have a school-aged kid. The schools in Richmond don't have a good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland