Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 11,828 times

Advertisements

I've been assigned a work site in Richmond, and have never been to California before, and have no idea what the area is like or what to expect for housing. I'll need to find something relatively fast (in the next three weeks probably) and my budget is $2500/month for rent, or less? :P I don't mind a commute as I'm from Missouri and have to drive an hour to get anywhere anyway, but I expect traffic in the bay area is worse than I-70 here. Any neighborhoods, realtors, apartment complexes, landlords, or other pertinent information is appreciated.

Where should I start looking that would be in my budget and a decent place to live (my daughter will be joining me when she is home from college), so a two bedroom would be ideal.

Thanks in advance. If I've neglected any important information, just let me know and I'll do my best to fill in the gaps.

Best,
Justin H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 PM

522 posts, read 731,309 times
Look in Vallejo.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
There's not much available in Richmond at the moment, but FYI, the good neighborhoods are east Richmond (hills), and Point Richmond. Richmond is cheaper than Berkeley/Oakland/El Cerrito, so affordability won't be an issue with your budget. Here's a studio in a good area. There wasn't anything else I saw that was in a good neighborhood. Watch Craigslist listings daily, though; something could pop up. There's usually no need to commute from a distance. You can look in El Cerrito, which borders Richmond's south side.Albany is another place to look, also near Richmond, to the south.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...331946202.html

El Cerrito: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...310830950.html
Albany: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...312515408.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-04-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 08:35 PM

Thank you. This is helpful. I didn't think to look at Craigslist yet. I've been on realtor sites and trying to find current info on the surrounding areas.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus_Dali View Post
Thank you. This is helpful. I didn't think to look at Craigslist yet. I've been on realtor sites and trying to find current info on the surrounding areas.
You need to move on listings pretty fast. Have your credit rating, references, proof of job offer ready. There's usually a fair amt. of competition for rentals.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-04-2017 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicus_Dali View Post
Craigslist is the main source here.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Craigslist is the main source here.
Very helpful to know. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,506,770 times
You might take a look at Hayward, San Leandro, and Castro Valley (all a bit further away). You could get a 2BR rental in Alameda for that price, I think.

Oakland east of Lake Merritt (but not too far east) will have some options. So will Adams Point, Longfellow, and Santa Fe (all Oakland neighborhoods--I think they are nice places to live, but YMMV).

Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,296,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You might take a look at Hayward, San Leandro, and Castro Valley (all a bit further away). You could get a 2BR rental in Alameda for that price, I think.

Oakland east of Lake Merritt (but not too far east) will have some options. So will Adams Point, Longfellow, and Santa Fe (all Oakland neighborhoods--I think they are nice places to live, but YMMV).
For these locations, need to consider traffic issues - going north/south on 880/80 during commute hours is not for the faint of heart, unless one can take BART up to Richmond.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,336,193 times
I suggest starting out by staying in an Extended Stay hotel. That's what I did when relocating a couple different times within CA:

https://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/ca/richmond

If you stay 30 days or longer, it's much cheaper, as you don't have to pay the luxury tax. And you can then go see places for yourself, see what the commutes would really be like, if you can stand having to take BART, etc., etc.

I personally hate taking BART. It's noisy and crowded and just seems to be less and less safe. I would personally rather spend more to live somewhere so that I could commute by a different means. And honestly, the closer you live to where you work, the happier you'll be. Commuting is a real PITA in the Bay Area. Don't underestimate it, is my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland