Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 17,883 times

Advertisements

I live in the Seattle area and potentially considering moving to SF in a few year's time. My partner works at Microsoft as a software tester, and him being able to find a comparable job in SF would be crucial. I was hoping to get some idea of the tech job market there (I hear it's pretty good?) and the competition to get those jobs. An idea about wages would also be great, if you have some knowledge of that. Really anything on that subject would be a great starting point for us.

If it matters, most of his experience is in software testing, though he can do other stuff-- just not much in the way of programming.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 01:53 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Default Tech Jobs

Well, this is the original Silicon Valley, so there are plenty of tech jobs! We're home to some of the largest software/computer & dot-com companies, like Hewlett-Packard, Sun, Intel, Google, eBay, Netflix, Oracle, Electronic Arts, and so forth. Most of these companies are located in Santa Clara County, which is the area from Palo Alto to San Jose... but some jobs are definitely available in & around San Francisco as well.

I can't give you specifics on salaries, since I don't work in this field, but I know it's competitive or people wouldn't stay! The majority of my friends work in the tech field, and they all do pretty well. I have one friend who does software testing in particular, and he's making decent money right now... he was out of work for 3 months earlier this year (after a contract job ended), but I honestly think he was being a bit lazy. Once he really got going on the search, there were a few offers at the same time. So I think you & your partner won't have much trouble finding jobs, and will hopefully like it here! Just be warned, the cost-of-living IS as high as people say...

Old 12-14-2006, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,380 times
Question Also wondering about IT but in San Francisco itself

Hey all,
I am also contemplating move - my partner is traveling nurse who has a primo assignment in area, but I am the sad "trailing spouse" who needs a gig!
I have 10+ years in IT, but we would much prefer being in the city itself versus the Valley due to commute. How is the IT climate in SF itself? My credentials are solid, with references from bosses.... Any ideas who to talk to?
I have long history with one headhunter who has made about 100K out of me with nil actual effort and I am tired of working thru them w their silliness.
In terms of where we would live, we love the Richmond and sunset areas in terms of low key easy mixed life style, beach, park, stuff to do...
He would probably be working down Judah line, or on Russian Hill and I assume I would be in Financial district - all well and good, but where to go for I/T gigs?
I am really looking for actual experience with IT headhunters in area here. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by FreetoBe; 12-14-2006 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland