Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Its officially East Bay on Craigslist because SF is the center of the Bay area universe. From SF one takes the Bay Bridge to get to Vallejo and other places in the East Bay. So its East Bay. One takes the Golden Gate to get to places like Marin County which is considered North Bay even though its west of the water.

Also Google confirms Vallejo is considered East Bay by the majority of internet searchers. A search for "east bay" vallejo yields over 3 times as many results as "north bay" Vallejo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22n....0.al-SkEpFGiY

Over 3.7 million results for East bay Vallejo which is at least a couple of million more than the north bay search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Wikipedia confirms North Bay = Marin,Sonoma and Napa counties and says nothing about Vallejo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...cisco_Bay_Area)

The city government of Vallejo also officially describes Vallejo as being part of the East Bay!

City of Vallejo

"Vallejo is conveniently located in the Northern part of the East Bay"
You (or someone) literally edited the article to win the argument 10 minutes before posting this. LOL https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...ldid=801631208 This is the old one. Wikipedia's editors have to make sure everything in a major article is cited, and accurately sourced. It usually takes them a few days to fix minor errors to an article, if someone edited it falsely. I have a friend in tech and know people who work for Wikipedia. Stop it.
Here's the SF Bay's Main Article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...ayarea_map.png

Here's a map showing the government defined boundaries of each Bay Area sub-region:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...ayarea_map.png

That image was sourced from ABAG (Association of Bay Area governments)

The North Bay chapter of the Humane Society is located in Vallejo.
Home

Another big factor is that it doesn't have a 510 or a 925 area code 510 = inner East Bay shoreline and 925= East Bay inland valleys. 707 in terms of the Bay Area is the North Bay. Vallejo is geographically on the Napa River, which on a geographical basis means it's on the southern edge of the Napa Valley.

When the news covers Vallejo, they always introduce it as the North Bay.

'They Just Appear And It's a Frenzy': Dozens of Rats Infest Vallejo Neighborhood - NBC Bay Area

And then there's basic common sense since Vallejo is directly across the Bay from Novato, which is in Marin County, and shares Borders with both Napa County directly to the north, and Sonoma County to the West on highway 37.

Sorry, went into research overdrive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 04:45 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Interesting. I still think it is officially the North Bay.
It does not matter what you "think". It has been officially declared East Bay by the Vallejo city government!

Quote:
The city government of Vallejo also officially describes Vallejo as being part of the East Bay!

City of Vallejo

"Vallejo is conveniently located in the Northern part of the East Bay"

Old 10-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
It does not matter what you "think". It has been officially declared East Bay by the Vallejo city government!
Vallejo city government is one of the most incompetent groups of people on the planet. You have a city on the Bay, with great weather, next door to Napa and somehow find a way to **** it up. I wouldn't take them on their word.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:07 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Vallejo city government is one of the most incompetent groups of people on the planet.
What else could be expected from a bunch of incompetent liberals! Vallejo was ranked as one of the worst cities for families in the United States.

Study: Vallejo among worst places for families

"Vallejo could be described as a place where one pays exorbitant rents to live in a crime-infested neighborhood with lousy schools."
“Vallejo received an overall grade of F and ranked No. 507 out of 510 cities that we looked at; as for the individual components, Vallejo received a D for safety and F’s for affordability, education quality, and child-friendliness.”

Old 10-22-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
What else could be expected from a bunch of incompetent liberals! Vallejo was ranked as one of the worst cities for families in the United States.

Study: Vallejo among worst places for families

"Vallejo could be described as a place where one pays exorbitant rents to live in a crime-infested neighborhood with lousy schools."
“Vallejo received an overall grade of F and ranked No. 507 out of 510 cities that we looked at; as for the individual components, Vallejo received a D for safety and F’s for affordability, education quality, and child-friendliness.”
Their liberalness is not why it's bad, but sure. Not all of Vallejo's neighborhoods are bad. Not even half the city is bad.
I'd say 30% of the city is average: everything north of Springs road east of I-80. The area near Sereno, and Redwood Street by the hospital west of I-80.
10% upper middle class: (Glen Cove).
10% Artsy Bohemian (St. Vincent's Hill, Downtown, Heritage District, Vallejo Heights)
10% wealthy: (Hiddenbrooke, plus a few small enclaves on the west side).
10% lower class (Beverly Hills, Meadows Drive Area, area south of Springs Road)
30% slum: (Crest, College Park, parts of South Vallejo (everything east of Sonoma BLVD north of Maritime Academy Drive, certain streets on the west side of Sonoma, north of where Magazine meets Porter Street.

Look my conservative friend, I'm introducing you to a little something called nuance. Let me guess, you think all of Oakland is bad too?

Old 10-22-2017, 06:55 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Their liberalness is not why it's bad, but sure. Not all of Vallejo's neighborhoods are bad. Not even half the city is bad.
I'd say 30% of the city is average: everything north of Springs road east of I-80. The area near Sereno, and Redwood Street by the hospital west of I-80.
10% upper middle class: (Glen Cove).
10% Artsy Bohemian (St. Vincent's Hill, Downtown, Heritage District, Vallejo Heights)
10% wealthy: (Hiddenbrooke, plus a few small enclaves on the west side).
10% lower class (Beverly Hills, Meadows Drive Area, area south of Springs Road)
30% slum: (Crest, College Park, parts of South Vallejo (everything east of Sonoma BLVD north of Maritime Academy Drive, certain streets on the west side of Sonoma, north of where Magazine meets Porter Street.

Look my conservative friend, I'm introducing you to a little something called nuance. Let me guess, you think all of Oakland is bad too?
Most places that have a bad rep are usually never “all bad”. However they get the bad reputation for a reason, and a lot of people know the reasons and prefer to avoid these areas, and I can understand why.

Oakland, LA, St Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc...the list goes on and on. Bad reputation means people avoid these areas. You can’t get upset because someone thinks Vallejo is terrible, I know you live there and all but it’s just reality, it’s far from perfect and the “outside” view from people see it that way as well.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:03 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Benicia is seperated from “East Bay” (Martinez) by a small bridge, so does that automatically make it North Bay?
Yes, it’s Solano County and part of the 707 area code.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Most places that have a bad rep are usually never “all bad”. However they get the bad reputation for a reason, and a lot of people know the reasons and prefer to avoid these areas, and I can understand why.

Oakland, LA, St Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore, etc...the list goes on and on. Bad reputation means people avoid these areas. You can’t get upset because someone thinks Vallejo is terrible, I know you live there and all but it’s just reality, it’s far from perfect and the “outside” view from people see it that way as well.
I understand why it gets a bad rap, but it's frustrating, not only in the case of Vallejo, but other cities being completely written off for a few rough neighborhoods. Even Detroit has some good to it.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
I understand why it gets a bad rap, but it's frustrating, not only in the case of Vallejo, but other cities being completely written off for a few rough neighborhoods. Even Detroit has some good to it.
Agree completely, but if I’m being honest, I’m one of those people who avoid those areas even though I know there are fine places to be.

Like Oakland, that’s the last place I’d want to live. Even though I know it’s not all bad, I still don’t like anything about it. Same for Vallejo, even San Francisco has absolutely no appeal to me. I’m a “suburbia” type who enjoys being away from areas of a lot of people, crime, etc...

Old 10-22-2017, 09:59 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times
Quote:
The Vallejo city website also describes Vallejo as the transportation and commuter hub of the North Bay, so I think the takeaway is that you can make what you want of that (and also that they need better editors!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland